Wi/internet how do you get it in van

I also use a RUT955 which has worked well even with the included aerials. An external aerial is on the list just to improve signal strength when in those out of the way places.

The RUT955 is a very capable bit of kit, the setup can seem a bit daunting at first. Perhaps Phil could do a video on how to set it up for those that may be put off by the instructions.

This is what I've used for the last 12 mths at home and away having cancelled our home landline (19 gb limit while roaming on all three devices) worked fine at home and in Germany France Spain an Portugal this year just lost signal when in remote areas in Portugal but had no external aerial which may have helped http://www.three.co.uk/discover/devices/huawei/B535?memory=0&colour=White

You can buy aerials that plug into your Huawei.

There are also some external aerials with about 2 metres of cable so that you can put it on the roof.

Just checked..If I can get wi-fi using the Chinese Wi-fi aerial (USB on my laptop)
I can make my laptop a hotspot for my phone and tablet.
The wi-fi aerial allows me to use wi-fi signals which are not strong enough for my phone
AS I posted earlier it is in effect a range extender.
My Laptop is powered/charged by a 12V to 19V adapter so no mains needed..Just care as to when you charge it (eg lunchtime once the solar has topped up the LB)
So apart from the aerial (£15) no extra kit needed

Which external aerial would you recommend? Really want one which I can use on van parked near home in remote Portugal to get better signal in house yoo. Or is that not doable? I am a bit of a technophobe!
To get good gain, you need a directional antenna, but they're an utter pain if you move about. Identifying which way to point is is almost impossible. Do you know which way your best cell site is, even at home?
I have an omnidirectional antenna on the top of the slide-up pole which used to have a TV antenna on it.
Mostly, it sits just above the roof, but if the signal is poor, raising the antenna a few feet makes an amazing difference to the signal level, which sometimes improves the speed quite a bit. It sometimes brings in a signal where none was available.
The one that's best for you depends on where you plan to mount it. I picked one that fixes to a vertical pole, because that's what I had.
If you want blistering 4G speeds, you need one with two antennas in it, and two cables, and two connectors on your mifi.
But in general, a single one is easily good enough unless you plan to stream 4K videos.

Further to post #23
I can setup my Laptop to be a wi-fi hotspot for my phone
This is handy if the aerial "range extension capability" allows your laptop to connect to wi-fi
In effect you are piggy-backing off the laptop. Useful for apps on the phone which have no similar function on the laptop..and those which use the phone's GPS location

Last edited:
This might be of interest to some, it's with Voxi which is owned by Vodaphone, you can get 45gb on a rolling monthly contract for £20.00 per month, like the idea you are not tyed into a contract and can cancel anytime and I have had it confirmed you can use the full 45gb monthly data allowance what in the EU and if you use social media like Facebook, messenger, WhatsApp, it does not come out of your data allowance, it is free.

Whilst I was touring the Spain, Portugal and France I noticed I got 4g just about everywhere with my Vodaphone data SIM, were as my three sim was a lot slower and was only 3g. Seems a good deal as last year I got a 50gb data SIM from Vodaphone for 3 months that cost £30.00 per month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200128-090624.png
    Screenshot_20200128-090624.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200128-090440.png
    Screenshot_20200128-090440.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 4
This might be of interest to some, it's with Voxi which is owned by Vodaphone, you can get 45gb on a rolling monthly contract for £20.00 per month, like the idea you are not tyed into a contract and can cancel anytime and I have had it confirmed you can use the full 45gb monthly data allowance what in the EU and if you use social media like Facebook, messenger, WhatsApp, it does not come out of your data allowance, it is free.

Whilst I was touring the Spain, Portugal and France I noticed I got 4g just about everywhere with my Vodaphone data SIM, were as my three sim was a lot slower and was only 3g. Seems a good deal as last year I got a 50gb data SIM from Vodaphone for 3 months that cost £30.00 per month.
Looks good..Not for me this summer and no doubt all change in a years time

I’m not doing very long stretches nor consuming huge amounts of data while in the van, but my key tip would be to have access to two different networks if you can!

My iPhone is on Vodafone. My iPad is on an inexpensive data-only contract from EE. Either can work as a hotspot for my laptop, or for each other. I’ve often been in situations where I have coverage on one network but not the other, or where one is significantly faster.

Apps such as Skype mean I can easily make a phone call from either device, even if I only have a data connection and only on one of them.

If I could only pick one network, it would be EE because of its coverage. But having two is a great deal better, as long as you make sure they aren’t just rebranding of the same network infrastructure, like O2 & GiffGaff :)

I’m not doing very long stretches nor consuming huge amounts of data while in the van, but my key tip would be to have access to two different networks if you can!

Another reason I chose the Teltonika RUT955, it's dual sim :D

Regards,
Del

I used Teltonika stuff many years ago and liked it. We were doing demos of some devices that needed to talk to our cloud service, and doing it in schools, hospitals etc, where we often couldn't connect to their network.

Being able to generate our own wifi network from 3G was really useful, and I have more than once been able to do an impressive demo by dangling a 3G antenna on a long lead out of a hospital or classroom window in a location where there was otherwise no coverage at all.

I can imagine having one of their devices with 4G and dual SIMs would be a very good solution!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back