Wider tyres?

Vanterrier

I have been looking for two replacement 215/75/16 Continental Vanco2 116/114R tyres and have come across some (x6) vanco2 225/75/16 121/120R tyres locally to me. They are used but have over 8mm tread left and seem a bargain right on my doorstep.
My question is should I go for the wider tyres and will they feel any different with the higher load rating?
All advice appreciated.

K ;)

Last edited:
How old are they ?

I would suggest that the only difference you would notice is a slight increase in road noise

I personally wouldn’t mix them on different axles i would fit them all round if they were newer and better condition than you originals

Don't think it's a good idea to mix on drive axle as they'll be larger diameter.
What happens if you ever have to use spare tyre?

They are six identical tyres so I would replace all of my existing tyres so no mixing involved. I don't know the age yet.

K ;)

If you want, have a look at 'will they fit.com' . Easy to use ready reckoner which compares your new tyres with your existing ones, particularly new inset and poke for wider tyres. Will also give %age changes to speedo with different profiles and diameters. Hope this helps. Bob.

Will they fit say...

Original New
Diameter
728.9mm 743.9mm
Circumference
2289.9mm 2337mm
Poke
34.6mm 34.6mm
Inset
130.6mm 130.6mm
Speedo error
0% -2.02%
Reading at 30mph
30mph 29.4mph
Reading at 60mph
60mph 58.79mph
Ride height gain
0mm 7.5mm
Arch gap loss
0mm 7.5mm
Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is the same distance from the suspension strut as your current wheel. The outer rim will poke out the same as before.

I will check actual gap between tyre and strut before I make my decision. ***checked and loads of room ***

Thanks for that

K ;)

Last edited:
Why are they for sale?

A very significant number of second hand tyres have not been X-rayed to check for any structural damage.

How old are the tyres, this is a point of major consideration when it comes to tyres for fitment to motorhomes, the reason being that this kind of vehicle is often parked up static for long periods of time and the compound construction can degradate at a frightening rate!

Personally speaking, I would never/ever fit second hand tyres.

Is the wider section tyre listed as a fitment for your particular vehicle, if it isn't then technically speaking you would have to advise your insurance company as it is a modification to the O.E. specification etc. etc.

Tread very carefully indeed.

You'll know that the tyre production age is easily found - 4 numbers in a box on the sidewall which gives week no and year Worth a look at least.

Its almost impossible to check if used tires are damaged by using to low pressure for load and speed , only once.

You can try hammering the tires on the treath,and listen if cavaty-sound. That is what they also do with used tyres to Shell to 3th world country's. Needs some practice, and has to be pressurised on a rimm for it.

Once damaged its ireversible, and in time damage build up, untill at a sertain moment they blow or treath seperation.

So this is one reason not to but them.

Other reason is that also your rimms have to be made for the higher maxload, of the 225 tires.
But real weight does not change on the rimms, so in case of overweight( rear mostly) also with the old tires to much weight on the rimms.

Of weight is to high for rimm, they can go leaking, then slow leack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have now inspected the tyres and they look spot on. No puncture repairs, scuffs, cracks or any kind of visible damage ( obviously not x-rayed)
They are all week 25 2013 DOT
All have 8+MM tread remaining although two have light wear to inside treads.
The seller is a tyre fitter at a reputable local village garage and seemed an honest individual.
The tyres were removed last week from a Motorhome who's owner is off to the south of Spain for five months and just wanted new Michelin Camper tyres instead of Vanco 2 Continentals.
Needless to say I have left a deposit and he ( they) will fit 5 of them to my rims on Tuesday for £250 all in, that's six tyres, five fitted, balanced and new valve.

I understand some folks doubts about second hand tyres and the risk of bandits but sometimes you just have to trust your instincts and accept that not everyone is out to rip you off.

Thanks to all who responded.

K ;)

If you have them, look on sidewall, and you see 2 pressures.
Tyres from Continental-group all give them.
Right behind the 122/121R probably 77psi, and on the opposite side, behind maxload single and dual info , " maximum inflation pressure of 10 psi higher.
The first I need to calculate the new advice-pressure, is called the reference-pressure.
For reference- pressure and -speed, the maxload of tyre is calculated.
Reference-speed of R is 170kmph/106mph.
That is exeption to the rule of Q and higher 160kmph/99mph.

This all on a " nice to know" basis.

Change on overheating of these tires is low, because , most likely kept on that 77 psi, while lower load then 1450kg maxload of LI 121 on tyres ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyre charts for my axle loads and these new tyres show

Front : 52 psi
Rear : 59 psi

I'll start with that and see how she rides.

K ;)

Are those the pressures you used for the "old"tyres.
But let me calculate it for you, need from tyres only the reference-pressure.
From Motorhome the Max permissable axle weights front and rear.
Better would be weighed axleweights or better axle-end weights.
But give everything you think needed too.
Then I will calculate a safe lowest pressure and a maximum pressure at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable.

@Vanterrier There is theoretically a slightly higher risk in fitting these tyres at this age than say a new set , but also less risk than staying with smaller tyres that are the same age . The bigger tyres will carry your load with less stress than your existing tyres . Given the info you have supplied and the owner and history , I personally would run them , and with a view to being able to replace them in stages as funds allow , starting with the front pair . I come to this view with 15years as a tyre dealer . JMHO . PS try and fit them with same direction of rotation as original fitment . Also if outer edge wear this should be fitted with previous proviso with wear to inside .

At the mileage we do these will last three years so will need replacing before they get to the age of the tyres that are on now.
I dont race around motorways like some and do take care of my outfit.
I understand some folks concerns and they of course are entitled to their opinions. No doubt when they buy a second hand car or van they replace the tyres immediately as they dont know their history? But I cannot afford to do that.
What is the cost of five new tyres supplied and fitted these days?
Drive safe
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back