Wifi aerial for the motorhome

GMJ

At home we recently signed up for 4G wifi as our signal on our wired broadband was rubbish. Anyway, the router and hence allowance is portable so we can take it with us when we (eventually!!) go away in the MH including the EU as the rules on that don't appear to have changed either).

So I am after an omni direction aerial, preferably one I can fit myself. Alternatively I'm happy to have a portable one.

Do any of you good folks have one of these? If so, any suggestions?

Ta :)

It's one EE supplied and doesn't appear to have any manufacturers name on it

Will you need a external antenna ours has worked fine at home and away for last 4 yrs . But maxview do a roof top router

Another thought does your EE router have a connection for external aerial

Last edited:
At home we recently signed up for 4G wifi as our signal on our wired broadband was rubbish. Anyway, the router and hence allowance is portable so we can take it with us when we (eventually!!) go away in the MH including the EU as the rules on that don't appear to have changed either).

So I am after an omni direction aerial, preferably one I can fit myself. Alternatively I'm happy to have a portable one.

Do any of you good folks have one of these? If so, any suggestions?

Ta :)

If I understand your plan correctly, Graham, your EE wifi unit will act in exactly the same way as using a mobile phone as a hotspot.
So if you can use your mobile phone in your Moho, then you won't need an external aerial for the wifi unit (I assume that it has been supplied with an aerial built in or on it).
I've used my mobile phone as a hotspot for the house and in the Moho for some years now and have found it to be excellent and, for me, much cheaper than using a conventional cable into the house.

Colin :):):)

Our mobile phone reception at home is very weak. We seldom try and use the mobiles at home due to this.

The new 4G router with SIM card also had very weak reception so I had to have an external aerial for it installed at home (outside on a wall). It has 2 cables going through the wall and into the back of the router with a screw connection with 8mm nut on each.

The 4G router is small and portable so I can take it with me and use my 200Gig monthly allowance when away. My concern was that if the signal is weak where we camp, I wouldn't be able to get a signal on it (same as when we are at home before the aerial was installed). So in effect I am trying to overcome that particular problem but seeing what omni directional aerial I could have for the MH - either fitted or portable.

If the signal to the router is poor..just position it outside or behind the windscreen.
the piggyback n to your laptop (or whatever) will degrade minimally but the signal from a mast to the router may well improve considerably.
PS I have never had a problem either using my phone as a hotspot or a pocket wi-fi
But it is all about the location of masts and those pesky mountains or deep valleys !

Reactions: GMJ
Yes we live in a very rural valley hence the problems I guess.

My concern was that if the signal is weak where we camp, I wouldn't be able to get a signal on it (same as when we are at home before the aerial was installed). So in effect I am trying to overcome that particular problem but seeing what omni directional aerial I could have for the MH - either fitted or portable.
I thought the same as you and had one of these recommended I've carried it with me all over europe for 2 years and not needed it but if you or anyone else wants it it its for sale £20 inc recorded p&p

Last edited:
Have a look at the Poynting puck range. Pleased with mine. Fed the cable through the roof light frame so no new holes in the roof.
There's another thread on this either here or on the WC forum. Search for Poynting.

You might consider https://www.yay.com/voip-phones/poynting-puck-5-white-omni-directional-antenna/
I bought one from another brand of the same organisation (netxl), but at the moment Yay are slightly cheaper as netxl charge extra for delivery. You may find it cheaper elsewhere with a Google search, particularly if happy to go for black rather than white, but if ordering from outside the UK beware of potential extra costs. Waiting till lockdown is lifted to have mine fitted professionally; tempted to save money and fit it myself, but by the time I've invested in the necessary hole cutter it hardly seems worth the effort as I'm having other work done anyway.

The 4G router is small and portable so I can take it with me and use my 200Gig monthly allowance when away
If going to EU there is a "data limit" as you probably know. EE, I think, is 25th but worth checking if you were unaware. We do the same as you and use our three mifi in the van or at home. Seems more sense than paying for both. Have a portable poynting aerial which we used occasionally to boost signal in the van. Now considering replacing it as have fixed it permanently on the barn in Portugal where the signal was awful! Frequently just putting the mifi near the roof of the van sorted the signal out. I stuck Velcro to the back of the unit and it sticks perfectly!

You might consider https://www.yay.com/voip-phones/poynting-puck-5-white-omni-directional-antenna/
I bought one from another brand of the same organisation (netxl), but at the moment Yay are slightly cheaper as netxl charge extra for delivery. You may find it cheaper elsewhere with a Google search, particularly if happy to go for black rather than white, but if ordering from outside the UK beware of potential extra costs. Waiting till lockdown is lifted to have mine fitted professionally; tempted to save money and fit it myself, but by the time I've invested in the necessary hole cutter it hardly seems worth the effort as I'm having other work done anyway.
Puck me thats some over the top price, £15 will buy one of ebay.

We have the little square EE MiFi which we use at home and when away in the van. We've never felt the need for an external aerial as moving it around the van as others have suggested usually does the trick. I'd like to add an external aerial at home to get more reliable speeds but that means changing routers to get one that has external aerial connectivity, but most of them are mains only and I don't want to have to mess about moving the SIM from one router to another when we go away. I wonder if it's possible to find one that has an external mains block that produces 12V DC so that I could then run the router directly from the van's 12V supply. Or one that worked on a USB connection would also work. Any suggestions? But I'd still have to disconnect the aerial cables and replace the router's built in aerial so maybe that would be more faff than swapping the SIM!

Ours is a little mifi a huawei 5576c ( think) and gas external aerial sockets on it. The cheapest ones don't. Might be easier to upgrade your mifi, but check first it hasn't got a little lift up flap with connections for aerial.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back