Wild camping in Scotland

andromeda

Outnumbered at a campsite pmease can someone clarify rules re wild camping legality in Scotland.
Need a cogent argument

Outnumbered at a campsite pmease can someone clarify rules re wild camping legality in Scotland.
Need a cogent argument
Scottish Wild Campers (? re exact name) have a Facebook page with Rules, Regs, protocols etc (and a Leading Light is a Fifer, too!)

Steve

There seems to still be a lot of confusion over wild camping under the so called Scottish Right to Roam act (correctly known as the Land Reform (Scotland) act established in 2003).. The freeedom to wild camp permitted in Scotland under this act does NOT extend to wild camping as we know it with a motorhome/campervan.

I bet most campervaners have slept of grid at some point. If you get asked to leave a place then I would move on and find another place. Be respectful and always leave the place tidy.You are supposed to ask the landowners permission. We have stayed many times off grid over 12 yrs and never been asked to move.Hope this helps.

I bet most campervaners have slept of grid at some point. If you get asked to leave a place then I would move on and find another place. Be respectful and always leave the place tidy.You are supposed to ask the landowners permission. We have stayed many times off grid over 12 yrs and never been asked to move.Hope this helps.
Opposite for me, on a rare occasion I will go on a site. Had do to it two nights this year when I had Mrs with me collecting our new rescue dog. There is always somewhere to park for a night or two in the U.K. it’s just easier in Scotland cos there is a lot more wilderness

Need a cogent argument
Quite simply you are not wild camping you are parking if you are self contained within your vehicle. Basically you can sleep in your vehicle anywhere you can legally park - the Road Traffic legislation applies UK wide and does not have any restriction on sleeping in a vehicle.

The only caveat I would add is that local authorities have the power to bring in Byelaws which may restrict you from parking and sleeping.

The 'law' of common sense should however apply in that you should not park as to cause annoyance to the locals such as right outside someones house uninvited. I have parked and slept in built up areas many times (since 2009), choosing my location carefully and never once been asked to move on.

Perhaps try supporting some of the many Aires that have opened in Scotland. You’ll find a lot of the small, less well known ones have plenty of space. Please use us so you don’t lose us.

We welcome Motorhomers to our cottage by the sea in Fraserburgh Aberdeenshire, having set up an Aire thanks to guidance from The Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA).

You can find lots of us here:
CAMpRA Accredited Aires

Cecilia

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back