Wild camping spots in Wales

rottytara2004

Free Member

It will be the first time I’ve been to Wales. Could anybody enlighten me as to where any overnight spots in Wales would be suitable. I intend to do 4 nights and travel back to Scotland on the 5th day. Thank you.

You will find a lot of Wales is now restricted for wild camping with the new no overnight parking laws and quite a few height barriers have been installed a some great spots. One of the best places we have used is on Anglesey at Valley the inland sea it's very beautiful and gets busy in summer months but no restrictions. South stack also has a great car park for motorhomes. Penmon point lighthouse but you have a £5 overnight fee but free on left 2 miles before entrance.Hollyhead marina is free also. A Very quiet place is Landonna beach but getting to it is from both sides of beach is two step roads 1-35% so go slow.
This picture is with our 1971 Bedford Dormobile but we use a Ducato Auto roller for most trips.Hope this helps.

Register with Wildcamping then you can see loads of recommended places on the poi map, which you can see by clicking on poi map on the homepage. Register here

You will find a lot of Wales is now restricted for wild camping with the new no overnight parking laws and quite a few height barriers have been installed a some great spots. One of the best places we have used is on Anglesey at Valley the inland sea it's very beautiful and gets busy in summer months but no restrictions. South stack also has a great car park for motorhomes. Penmon point lighthouse but you have a £5 overnight fee but free on left 2 miles before entrance.Hollyhead marina is free also. A Very quiet place is Landonna beach but getting to it is from both sides of beach is two step roads 1-35% so go slow.
This picture is with our 1971 Bedford Dormobile but we use a Ducato Auto roller for most trips.Hope this helps.
Thank you most kindly daveand jean...noted

We overnighted at Westbay, Angle, Pembrokeshire years ago. Sign said no overnight parking but it was so quiet and deserted we thought who is going to know? ?

Hi everyone interesting thread as my wife has just told me we are going wales early july, I like a bit of wild camping/pub car park camping, but as I don't have a shower I like a decent campsite preferably near a beach and a pub !!

Asking a lot but if anyone has any suggestions they would be most welcome.

Cheers Harry

Try the waterside carpark as you approach Dale ... SW of Haverfordwest. Can be busy but there are a couple of cheap CL's nearby as backup if its not for you. The NT carpark up at St Annes Head nearby is a no-go now with signs up sadly.
K ;)

The County of Powis is motorhome friendly.
We toured South Wales for a few weeks in 2017 in a 6.5m vehicle and wild-camped a lot.
Just beware of the narrow roads especially in a coachbuilt.
AND as in Scotland lots of wild sheep

It will be the first time I’ve been to Wales. Could anybody enlighten me as to where any overnight spots in Wales would be suitable. I intend to do 4 nights and travel back to Scotland on the 5th day. Thank you.

Where in Wales are you going? There's quite a lot of it ;)
As said previously Powys is van friendly many of the public carparks allow over night parking.
Ditto for the one by the Conwy in Llanwrst. as shown below which is a handy stop if cutting down from the A55.

I use the usual apps but I sometimes disappointed either the places are full or they don't meet expectations or the info is so out of date to be irrelevant. For example I am not particularly interested in sleeping in a layby by a busy road personally etc.

Peoples view on accessibility varies considerably for example if yours is a coach built think hard about some of the less accessible locations.
For example there is a side road near Beddgelert which is a great stop but driving to it is a challenge especially from the northern approach.

My van is tough I can bounce it off trees or dry stone walls and things without too much damage but a coachbuilt could easily sustain some serious damage. especially if the roads have 4-5' high dry stone walls on each side aka 'Sharp Teeth' Roads.

Google maps and street view (especially street view) is your friend, we use that and proper paper maps extensively to find spots not on the apps.
It does not mean we are the first ones there just that they are less likely to be occupied nor have the dreaded signs up!

Best of all lesser used spots tend not to be littered with other peoples toilet paper which seem to last for decades!

I always have a plan B and ideally three or four target sites, that way we aren't trying to find somewhere in the Dark!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back