Will insurance pay out?

Vanterrier

My daughter has a 66 plate Peugeot 108 valued at around £3900. She has full Comprehensive Insurance and NCB protection.
She shifted from third down to second instead of fourth and the engine destroyed itself, con rod through the engine jobbie...
Now, if she had stupidly driven the car into a wall and destroyed it I assume the insurance would pay out for a write off. So is there any difference due to the way a car can be accidentally written off by its driver with no-one else involved?
What do you think/know?
K:(

I suspect the only one that can answer properly is your insurance company (or their under writers)

However, I doubt you've a hope in hell...

What next... A claim for not keeping the oil topped up etc

The car had full service history and was in good fettle having flown through an mot recently, so it's not a breakdown or wear and tear.
The damage was caused by a moments error, in the same way as a crash would be.
I know it's a long shot but you can see what I mean... what is "an accident"?
K :(

Reactions: Rec
The car had full service history and was in good fettle having flown through an mot recently, so it's not a breakdown or wear and tear.
The damage was caused by a moments error, in the same way as a crash would be.
I know it's a long shot but you can see what I mean... what is "an accident"?
K :(

Can you record the phone conversation when you ring for the claim

Please.....

Don’t think you’ll get anything from insurance. A 66 plate car depending on mileage might get a bit of good Will from main Peugeot dealer for that type of repair if that’s where she bought it from. They won’t know what caused it to break just explain it as if it broke during normal use worth a try even if they only pay some Sort of percentage towards repairs it’s better than nowt.

Park it in town with the keys in.

Nearest got to that situation was OH sliding on ice and pulling out driveshaft which wrote off the car (repair cost more than value). CO-OP insurance assessor noted recent - optional - brake repairs and added cost of that to the valuation.

Tow it even.

Update:
Daughter called insurers - Broker was Darwin for Prudential, sorry she didn't record the call but it was good news. They class it as accidental damage which is covered by her policy. A garage will be recovering her car to assess if it is repairable or not.
Fingers crossed she gets a good result. Watch this space...
Shy bairns get nowt eh?
K ;)

Update:
Daughter called insurers - Broker was Darwin for Prudential, sorry she didn't record the call but it was good news. They class it as accidental damage which is covered by her policy. A garage will be recovering her car to assess if it is repairable or not.
Fingers crossed she gets a good result. Watch this space...
Shy bairns get nowt eh?
K ;)
Well that is a result and no mistake. well done for ignoring us naysayers (y)

I reckon a good result will be a write off value above £2k. I can't see a replacement new engine being cheap.
If they do decide to repair, it will be a cracking car. 66 plates are tax free and small cars are in demand these days so selling should not be a problem...
K ;)

I reckon a good result will be a write off value above £2k. I can't see a replacement new engine being cheap.
If they do decide to repair, it will be a cracking car. 66 plates are tax free and small cars are in demand these days so selling should not be a problem...
K ;)
If it does get written off (new engine fitted by main dealer will be expensive as you say) and you know an independent garage that can fit an engine out of a rear-ended 108 (or Citroen or Toyota Aygo I think?), it could be worth taking a settlement and buying it back to self-repair?

Like you say, Road tax changes make that age of car quite desirable (mine is a 17 plate and registered the day BEFORE the change happened. Pay £30/year, but one day younger and would be £140)

PS. Put the details of the car into WeBuyAnyCar or similar to get a valuation for the pre-incident value ready for when you get a call from the broker. Used cars seem to have gone up in value a lot recently. I bought my car from Arnold Clark over 4 years ago and their trade-in valuation is only £1500 less than I paid for it!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back