WIND POWER

FERENZA

Free Member

Just had a test run of my rutland 504 this weekend at wils o nats , very very windy with no noise from it superb. over 13amps
I need some info , there is no room to fit wires on the battery terminals but there are 2, 8mm studs would it be ok to fit to them on them

Should be ok to use the M8 studs or you could use this type of clamp, I have to connect a Ctek charger.
Batt-term-pos-3-point-connection.jpg

Hi Eric,
you scarpered before we had chance to say tara, hope you are feeling better. Your mate who you were supposed to meet in the pub was worried about you when you didn't show up.
Noticed your Rutland as you disappeared, is the pole telescopic? If not you certainly need to be mindful of overhead obstacles.

Hi Eric,
you scarpered before we had chance to say tara, hope you are feeling better. Your mate who you were supposed to meet in the pub was worried about you when you didn't show up.
Noticed your Rutland as you disappeared, is the pole telescopic? If not you certainly need to be mindful of overhead obstacles.
THanks, a lot better, ( lem sips )/ that would be Chris who asked, we always have a Sunday drink when I am up

Was that 13amps per hour, day or weekend please? I always liked the idea when I saw Rae do it but it didn’t seem to give enough fir my application.

Was that 13amps per hour, day or weekend please? I always liked the idea when I saw Rae do it but it didn’t seem to give enough fir my application.
when I tested at the time it was 13.8 I think if it is same wind speed per hour.? but peeks and troughs

when I tested at the time it was 13.8 I think if it is same wind speed per hour.? but peeks and troughs
Oooooh, that would be good for me, may have to look again when I get some spare pennies. You have any pics of your setup?

The Rutland 504 is rated at about 80 Watts (from memory) but in the real world is more like 50 watts in a strong 'clean' wind.

1580948061997.png
I think 50 watts may be exceptional (except maybe Orkney or similar) Winds of 29knots about 33mph) are not common. I would say inland UK average wind speed is closer to 10knots. Advantage over solar is probably better performance over winter and over 24hr period.

When attached to motorhome do you get any drone or humming noise ? A wind and solar set up does have it's attractions.

Agree with paulhelenwilko (#12)
IF I were to use our MoHo in Winter...I would definitely get one
After sept 21 less than 12 hours daylight and even more limited useful sunlight for solar (sun too low etc)
Even say 3 amps for say 14 hours overnight = 42AH
Or enough to keep the Truma heating running without depleting the battery
Yes Daylight solar gives a faster top up but 42AH is very very handy !
I assume you just need to be careful if it is likely to be very windy overnight !

I`m struggling to work out how a Rutland 504 rated at approx 80 watts can put out 13 + amps

Is the " 13.8 " quoted in post #8 by the OP volts ?

Agree with paulhelenwilko (#12)
IF I were to use our MoHo in Winter...I would definitely get one
After sept 21 less than 12 hours daylight and even more limited useful sunlight for solar (sun too low etc)
Even say 3 amps for say 14 hours overnight = 42AH
Or enough to keep the Truma heating running without depleting the battery
Yes Daylight solar gives a faster top up but 42AH is very very handy !
I assume you just need to be careful if it is likely to be very windy overnight !

Both my Solar panel and wind turbine were linked together on the same circuit. The main problem was that the wind usually dies down in the evening and does not get up again until late morning.

I did consider buying one of these a few months ago, I was thinking of mounting one on my garage but even though I have a wind tunnel effect going past it the numbers did not justify the cost as it would have barely even managed a trickle charge.

I would like to see the a van based mounting method that does not introduce cavitation noise into the vehicle because I have not completely ruled one out yet.

Ideally I need 65 amps every 24 hours, looking at that spec it isn’t going to provide anything like that unless I was somewhere I couldn’t open the door. Or am I reading it wrongly?

I would forget getting a turbine to be honest.
To get a meaningful output, you would need to be parked up in exposed areas you really would not want to be camping at (unless your idea of fun is to be blown around all other the place!)
I live in a pretty windy location (and it gets very annoying to have to put up with it all the time). I also have a weather station that monitors wind speeds and solar radiation 24/7 and I can see from the data that even where I am located a Wind Turbine would not be that effective, and if I were to camp up and got the same levels of wind as I do at home, I would move on to somewhere else (and the charge into the battery from the split-charge system when moving on would do what the turbine would have done in a full day probably :) )

I`m struggling to work out how a Rutland 504 rated at approx 80 watts can put out 13 + amps

Is the " 13.8 " quoted in post #8 by the OP volts ?
I could believe 13.8V but 13.8A x 12V = 165 Watts is 2 times the quoted capacity.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back