Windbreaks...

ActiveCampers

In all our usage, we've never had/wanted a windbreak as we're not normally ever sitting around the van.
Life changes (due to wifey being more restricted) - so have had a few breaks sitting outside the van. Like I am now lol.
Nice weather but a bit breezy, so what do people do about windbreaks?

Seem to be cheap n cheerful wooden pole types which we bought one and not overly impressed with - pain to get into ground - and already "lost" two spikes that got stuck in the ground lol so without ding a huge hole lost forever. And just too cheap to be honest.
There are thin camping ones that are tent-like poles, material, and guy ropes, that just look a pain to erect and many we've seen are all over the shop!
There are blow up ones with guyropes that are expensive and I guess heavy and need guy ropes

None seem to be perfect for £25 lol.

Happy to spend, within reason. Happy to make my own if there is any decent method.

Ideas welcome

I made the daughter one last year it wasn’t cheap as it was 10m long I used 5ft broom shanks for the pole I then screwed 4x1in x10mm plastic pads to the bottom of the poles with a 4in screw and a jubilee clip round the pole so it wouldn’t split then drill a hole at both end of the plastic so you can peg it to the ground that way you don’t need to bash the poles into the ground this a picture of it . I think it cost her 70 quid but you won’t get an other one like itA2D7068F-8244-49F2-9C42-A0FF3A2210A3.jpeg

Nice. You still need guys? Hoping to avoid them
. Nice idea with the feet.

FWIW, we bought a set of Windblockers from Lillypad Leisure. These turn your wind-out awning into a safari room. The set is very light and compact (unlike a typical drive-away awning). Being mesh, you can see through them, which might be of concern if you're concerned about privacy. Cost was under £300, so might be more than you were thinking of spending. Big caveat: we haven't used ours yet, but we've seen several on friends' vans at various festivals.

FWIW, we bought a set of Windblockers from Lillypad Leisure. These turn your wind-out awning into a safari room. The set is very light and compact (unlike a typical drive-away awning). Being mesh, you can see through them, which might be of concern if you're concerned about privacy. Cost was under £300, so might be more than you were thinking of spending. Big caveat: we haven't used ours yet, but we've seen several on friends' vans at various festivals.
Will mesh allow wind through? May be an option to do similar. Will try and see some real life examples

thinking about it, would the wind put to much strain on the arms and legs?

Last edited:
Will mesh allow wind through? May be an option to do similar. Will try and see some real life examples

thinking about it, would the wind put to much strain on the arms and legs?
They have a demo YT video (embedded below) to show how effective they are. They were very effective on our friends' van and shouldn't put too much strain on the awning (consider that OEM safari rooms are available for almost all wind-out awnings).

Ours has aluminium poles that spike into the ground and guyropes, lightweight, compact, quick to set up and works great.

Have a look at Jormax ... expensive but no guys. Solid panels and tall enough to keep the wing off your shoulders when sitting down.

In all our usage, we've never had/wanted a windbreak as we're not normally ever sitting around the van.
Life changes (due to wifey being more restricted) - so have had a few breaks sitting outside the van. Like I am now lol.
Nice weather but a bit breezy, so what do people do about windbreaks?

Seem to be cheap n cheerful wooden pole types which we bought one and not overly impressed with - pain to get into ground - and already "lost" two spikes that got stuck in the ground lol so without ding a huge hole lost forever. And just too cheap to be honest.
There are thin camping ones that are tent-like poles, material, and guy ropes, that just look a pain to erect and many we've seen are all over the shop!
There are blow up ones with guyropes that are expensive and I guess heavy and need guy ropes

None seem to be perfect for £25 lol.

Happy to spend, within reason. Happy to make my own if there is any decent method.

Ideas welcome
I have a Kamper one that we no longer use. You can contact me off forum I can give you more info.

Kampa Dometic Pro Windbreak 3 Panel

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back