Christmas advice please. (Even though it's only August).

sydnsue

We are considering going away in the motorhome this Xmas, possibly to Scotland. I have just been looking for CLs or sites and the majority are closed mid winter. Has anyone ever spent Xmas (anywhere) in their van? I'm assuming hookup would be a must to avoid hammering the LPG. Europe is the obvious choice but we are there in Sept/Oct and again next spring so thought UK just for a couple of weeks.

I’m sure the sites around Aviemore are opened over the Christmas period but you have to book well in advance. The S4Ss app is handy you will find a lot of places that will be opened on there.

We stayed on the community run site in Kirkcudbright (Dumfries and Galloway) last Christmas. It’s open all year and has hardstanding and EHU. Cracking little site with great views. Would like to do it again this Christmas but all our kids have booked themselves into our house, no doubt expecting us to cater for them!

We are considering going away in the motorhome this Xmas, possibly to Scotland. I have just been looking for CLs or sites and the majority are closed mid winter. Has anyone ever spent Xmas (anywhere) in their van? I'm assuming hookup would be a must to avoid hammering the LPG. Europe is the obvious choice but we are there in Sept/Oct and again next spring so thought UK just for a couple of weeks.
We hope to be heading south from Scotland to Spain, via France, for some Winter Sun, having failed to get away for a variety of reasons over the last 9 months or so. We'll wave to you from the southbound carriageway ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

We have stayed at Moffat for Christmas (C&CC). There's a good few places open over winter, we use our van here all the time.

I really enjoyed it, very pared down and easy.

We always head off at Xmas to New year ...
Usually a combination of wild camping and sites .

Things tend to be quieter over the festive period
And don't usually struggle to find the odd place open ,though we do have to be a little more flexible location wise .

We have stayed at Moffat for Christmas (C&CC). There's a good few places open over winter, we use our van here all the time.

I really enjoyed it, very pared down and easy.
Going to that site nxt wk 😎

We hope to be heading south from Scotland to Spain, via France, for some Winter Sun, having failed to get away for a variety of reasons over the last 9 months or so. We'll wave to you from the southbound carriageway ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

When are you thinking of leaving Steve? Any outline rough ideas of destinations?

When are you thinking of leaving Steve? Any outline rough ideas of destinations?
Our usual departure date is around 24th November, Graham, but we have been kicking around the possibility of leaving on or about 15th November [I can get the M/Home MOT'd from 5th November], and doing a 60 days trip to keep within the Property Insurance base cover, back to Scotland for long enough to get the washing done, and back out again for another 60 days to tke us into Spring

Much depends upon GP & Hospital Appointments [Elaine this time, I've had my allowance ...] and consequential impact on Travel Insurance availability/cost. Destinations will include a return to Vilafranca del Pinedes [it feels like coming home] which is convenient for a train into Barcelona, and possibly a 'Large City Tour', subject to availability of Aires. The 'Monthly Health Problem' has been rather demoralising, and we stopped any serious planning about 3 months ago, because 'Next month, maybe ...' has just led to repeated disappointments. May well be an impromptu 'Pack the Van, Clear off, and follow our noses' decision

What are your plans?

Steve

Reactions: GMJ
Leave home 6th Jan then after the tunnel and France we'll be staying in/near Madrid, Cadiz, Calpe and Benicassim on this this next trip. Back on 12th March.

It's a slightly longer trip for us next year as we are planning on putting the bungalow on the market next spring so probably won't be doing our other usual 2 trips across to the EU.

Off on Tuesday on a Belgium/Moselle Valley/Bavaria/NE France trip and looking forward to that :)

Another vote for Kircudbright really enjoyed our stay there last autumn. Not stayed for Christmas but it would be top of my list if I were looking for somewhere. You can book in advance for the Campsite but not the Aire. Both are owned and run by the community charity.

You two are making my trip nxt wk to Moffat sound really boring 😟
Not at all! You'll be coming to a foreign country with a strange language ... Only difference is, we still drive on the right side of the road! :ROFLMAO: . On a serious note, if you want to experience Motorhoming as it can be done, a crossing to Europe for the quality o the aires and campsites, the quality of the roads, the quality and variety of the food, and the cultural riches, get yourself a passport and prepare for an adventure and a half!

Your first trip need not be a 90 days safari, nor need it cover thousands of miles; in fact, it's probably best that it is a modest journey to give you time to acclimatise to the driving, and to enjoy the relaxed pace of life and the culture before getting behind the wheel again. And, even post Brexit, you will rarely be much further than shouting distance of a Brit if you need any help

I can almost guarantee that if you book a week as a 'taster' trip, on Day 6 you'll wish you had booked 2 weeks or more because you've become used to the routine and want a further 7 days just to enjoy the holiday (y)

Steve

Not at all! You'll be coming to a foreign country with a strange language ... Only difference is, we still drive on the right side of the road! :ROFLMAO: . On a serious note, if you want to experience Motorhoming as it can be done, a crossing to Europe for the quality o the aires and campsites, the quality of the roads, the quality and variety of the food, and the cultural riches, get yourself a passport and prepare for an adventure and a half!

Your first trip need not be a 90 days safari, nor need it cover thousands of miles; in fact, it's probably best that it is a modest journey to give you time to acclimatise to the driving, and to enjoy the relaxed pace of life and the culture before getting behind the wheel again. And, even post Brexit, you will rarely be much further than shouting distance of a Brit if you need any help

I can almost guarantee that if you book a week as a 'taster' trip, on Day 6 you'll wish you had booked 2 weeks or more because you've become used to the routine and want a further 7 days just to enjoy the holiday (y)

Steve
Well, I was never looking at Europe, until recently. This certainly given me some more thinks to thunk.

We stayed on the community run site in Kirkcudbright (Dumfries and Galloway) last Christmas. It’s open all year and has hardstanding and EHU. Cracking little site with great views. Would like to do it again this Christmas but all our kids have booked themselves into our house, no doubt expecting us to cater for them!
That's we get every year which is why we are thinking about escaping.

We always head off at Xmas to New year ...
Usually a combination of wild camping and sites .

Things tend to be quieter over the festive period
And don't usually struggle to find the odd place open ,though we do have to be a little more flexible location wise .
We usually wild camp but a 2 week cold snap would probably kill our LPG and it's not a good time of year to go hunting Autogas or to run out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back