NC500 in Winter

Robmac

NC500 in Winter

It's fast approaching the time when we disappear up to Scotland for a week or two.

We usually go to Aviemore for a couple of days, then work our way west, eventually reaching Applecross, before heading to the top. Just wondered how the NC500 has affected the North now it is becoming more established?

We plan to go late January/early February.

You’ll be fine mate the highlands go into hibernation until April i was up that way 2 or three times this year even in the middle o summer it wasn’t that bad all the hire vans safely tucked away until summer.

We did a lot of the NC500 last February and what a fantastic time to go! Hardly anybody around, nobody in any of the wildcamping spots and some really bright clear weather. I suppose the only drawback at that time of year is a lot of the campsites are closed, but if you can be self sufficient for several days you have no problem.

tonybvi;n14725 said:
We did a lot of the NC500 last February and what a fantastic time to go! Hardly anybody around, nobody in any of the wildcamping spots and some really bright clear weather. I suppose the only drawback at that time of year is a lot of the campsites are closed, but if you can be self sufficient for several days you have no problem.

Very true re campsites.

We tend to stay at the one at Rothiemurchus near Aviemore, because we know it's going to be open, and wildcamp the rest, unless we go to Durness which you can stay at the campsite with EHU and water but no other facilities for about £7 (or you could last time we were there).

Me Phil and Sue were up there last month it was quiet and stunning as well as a little snowy

Going to Aviemore towards end of January, the sled dog championships are on, we are staying a few nights at Glenmore, and wildcamping most nights. Glenmore although nice and great facilities it is so damn expensive, last time we stayed at Rothiermurchus, probably 5 or more years ago, some of the pitches were not that brilliant, and not very big, infact the pitch i was on if i had put my awning up it would have blocked the road. Hence the reason for staying at Glenmore. Have any improvements been made to the pitches at Rotheriermurchus ?

FINGERLESS;n14778 said:
Going to Aviemore towards end of January, the sled dog championships are on, we are staying a few nights at Glenmore, and wildcamping most nights. Glenmore although nice and great facilities it is so damn expensive, last time we stayed at Rothiermurchus, probably 5 or more years ago, some of the pitches were not that brilliant, and not very big, infact the pitch i was on if i had put my awning up it would have blocked the road. Hence the reason for staying at Glenmore. Have any improvements been made to the pitches at Rotheriermurchus ?

Not sure. But we often stay in the far car park up near the shower/toilet block, where you can usually have as much room as you like in Winter.

I have stayed on the pitches before, and no, they are not very big, but we don't use an awning anyway, but I think it's a lovely little site, with great walks into the Lairig Ghru.

My niece competes in the sled dog championships.

Have you been to Loch An Eilein yet Rob. The have installed some hard
standings in the top carpark. It's one of Rothiemurcuses hidden gems and well worth a visit.

Caledonia;n14810 said:
standings in the top carpark. It's one of Rothiemurcuses hidden gems and well worth a visit.

I've been to Loch an Eilein many times Cal, but usually having walked from Rothiemurchus so never been in the van. We will give it a try!

I agree, a lovely place.

We saw very few vans last Christmas/ New year when we did it Rob no problems stopping anywhere.

Caledonia;n14810 said:

Whats the narrow bridge like to get to the car park. it's unsuitable for coaches?

brucews;n15153 said:
Whats the narrow bridge like to get to the car park. it's unsuitable for coaches?

I've been there in my 6m coachbuilt with no problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back