2024 France/Spain Tour.

Back in the bad old days of oil companies having more money than sense we used to stay in Hotel du Pallais in Biarritz almost every month when we went down to Pau for our regular jollies.
After retirement we went in the motorhome so I could show Sue the place. Needless to say we camped out of town and didn’t even buy a drink in the hotel!

Back in the bad old days of oil companies having more money than sense we used to stay in Hotel du Pallais in Biarritz almost every month when we went down to Pau for our regular jollies.
After retirement we went in the motorhome so I could show Sue the place. Needless to say we camped out of town and didn’t even buy a drink in the hotel!
Just for you Tony, to remind you of the bad ol days 😁
IMG_5740.jpeg

I think that expresses it nicely, Tony. 👍

So many places (including those in the UK) sit back on a town's past successes and fall by the wayside. How many houses are bought up as a holiday home and allow the general community to fall empty during the bulk of the year. I've a good pall in the Peak District who tells me that his village is completely empty throughout the year, only coming alive during the brief holiday season. It's become a failed community with a high cost of housing.

I took exactly the same two photos of Biarritz, including one other of an empty bandstand with empty adjacent housing waiting for the summer. I found it very sad. ☹️

I think that expresses it nicely, Tony. 👍

So many places (including those in the UK) sit back on a town's past successes and fall by the wayside. How many houses are bought up as a holiday home and allow the general community to fall empty during the bulk of the year. I've a good pall in the Peak District who tells me that his village is completely empty throughout the year, only coming alive during the brief holiday season. It's become a failed community with a high cost of housing.

I took exactly the same two photos of Biarritz, including one other of an empty bandstand with empty adjacent housing waiting for the summer. I found it very sad. ☹️
Same bandstand was empty yesterday, a few homes were looked closed up awaiting spring/summer season to commence. The hotel Tony spoke did not too busy at all, I wonder what the TOTAL bill was during his halcyon days?

Hard to get a full grasp on Biarittz housing situation. Construction ind was busy with many apartment blocks being renovated, and as I mentioned, the cost of real estate for sale was mouth watering, not just here, towns either side of Biarittz too. It is still a lovely place to take in and explore, then we move on.

If I recall correctly (always an uncertainty at my age) it was the 3 lettered opposition footing the bills. The various jollies led to a series of meetings in darkened rooms involving some very senior French politicians which in turn led to a takeover (sorry “merger”) and the eventual disappearance of the 3 lettered name!!

If I recall correctly (always an uncertainty at my age) it was the 3 lettered opposition footing the bills. The various jollies led to a series of meetings in darkened rooms involving some very senior French politicians which in turn led to a takeover (sorry “merger”) and the eventual disappearance of the 3 lettered name!!
Would have it been down to ELF AND safety?

Passed again today.
IMG_5758.jpeg

One for you Bill, I took this at 13.52 on approach to land, carrier and from where?

Spoke with a young family from Motherwell st the market, they were heading home with Ryan Air, so the flight on the take off climb from aire. Then Easy Jet soon after, I did wonder if my near neighbour was the pilot?

Lots of Helos in and out, military too, busy airspace.

IMG_5759.jpeg

We always find it difficult leaving France, mainly because we both speak the lingo and love chatting to all the locals. We’ve even had a Breton lady playing bagpipes for us in a shop in Brittany, and Sue has sung Flower of Scotland in a cave in France to a huge crowd!
A few years back we decided to head for Spain. We got as far as Banyuls and fell in with a bad crowd (actually a lovely lady who owned a super restaurant there) who insisted on showing us everything in the area (I love those little monorails to get you up into the steep vineyards) and wining and dining us for free. We got stuck there for a week and never made it to Spain (although we could see it).

One for you Bill, I took this at 13.52 on approach to land, carrier and from where?

Spoke with a young family from Motherwell st the market, they were heading home with Ryan Air, so the flight on the take off climb from aire. Then Easy Jet soon after, I did wonder if my near neighbour was the pilot?

Lots of Helos in and out, military too, busy airspace.

View attachment 72254
That certainly looks to be departing, and would be an Air France 320 to Lyon.

That certainly looks to be departing, and would be an Air France 320 to Lyon.
It was landing Bill, I viewed the aircraft arriving from the SW and coming in from the seaboard side. This was a wee challenge for you, no biggie though 👍

It was landing Bill, I viewed the aircraft arriving from the SW and coming in from the seaboard side. This was a wee challenge for you, no biggie though 👍
Yes, looking again it’s landing but doesnt show up on plane finder and there were no Biarritz arrivals showing then. It is an Air France 320 but will remain a mystery. Glad you’re enjoying your trip now.

Arrived San Sebastián this morning, got a good spot on the aire where we cannot get hemmed in, our own seat, and Rocky has his tree 🌳 to relieve himself on. Great weather, really hot today 👍

IMG_5762.jpegIMG_5764.jpeg

Last edited:
You are clearly more brazen than me. I made as certain as I could that no semi-clad maidens were in shot. 😳

Sadly. 🤣

I would like to make it clear, any individuals captured within the image is purely coincidental. Thought I should mention this in case I end up on the list 👍

Back