90 days in Europe Travel Insurance ?

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

I have just been looking at a 12 months travel insurance for me and Lorraine for our travels to Europe next year , most quotes are coming back about £90 - £125 , but maximum stay 30 days . Can anyone please point me to a policy that will cover us for 90 days and we don't need a second mortgage to purchase it . Thanks

I got 180 days abroad for just a few pounds more than 90 days with the CCC. It was £275 for 180 days. Extra £9 for pre existing conditions on top. Meg

Nationwide. Covered us for 180 days minimum trip length (home 1d then back out was fine); hazardous sports; world wide cover and winter sports - was <£1xx IIRC on top of the free one. Now its down to 45d trip length :'(

Nationwide is good for both travel and breakdown.
They now charge £30 for existing conditions.

Nationwide is good for both travel and breakdown.
They now charge £30 for existing conditions.
Looked at using Nationwide, but no good for some as it specifically excludes pets. If anyrhing happens they won't consider or repatriate pets.

+ one for LV, Jeff. I've been with them for 4 years to date.
My annual cost is £153.08 - but then again I'm well over 70. Under pre-existing medical conditions I felt compelled to list my sole problem - dribbling.
I have the slightly dearer (it's called 'Premier') option Graham mentioned that provides 90 days per trip. They have a really user-friendly website if you fancy getting a quote. They are, in my view, good value for money and are one of the bigger players, which is something I generally go for when seeking out insurance of any kind.
I'm pleased to say that I haven't had the need to put them to the test yet.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Its how they pay out which matters...

FWIW took my parents backpacking to Cambodia....

Lets just say, they left early fairly quickly new flights, medical bills and other expenses all covered hassle free with Nationwide.

And lets just say, won't be inviting them again!

We have an annual policy with Nationwide, it's the flex plus policy, we extended cover to 100 days, last year we had to pay an additional £221.00 for pre existing medical conditions, high blood pressure for both of us and medication for Cholesterol, plus the extension to 100 days.

This year my wife has had a course of cortisone injections for arthritis in her hips and I have had treatment for a bad back, which I declared, I have just renewed the premium today and it has shot up to £347.00 ouch.

But on the plus side we have had two claims, I swallowed a chicken bone in Thailand, they liased with the hospital there and paid all the medical bills without any problems, came to.just over a £1000.00

Plus on another trip we had to cut short a trip in Thailand due to a sudden family bereavement in the UK and they reimbursed us for our new flights and for having to cut our holiday short. So I have peace of mind knowing they pay out when you need it.

Nationwide...Yes helpful attentive response when we broke down in Croatia. Contacted us diligently to check everything was going alright.

I got 180 days abroad for just a few pounds more than 90 days with the CCC. It was £275 for 180 days. Extra £9 for pre existing conditions on top. Meg
We also struggled to get insurance but we eventually got a really good one which gives us 90 days world wide. But unfortunately when you look at your house insurance, ours only allows us to leave the house unoccupied for 60 days . If i was you have a quick look at you own house insurance. Hopefully yours is better than ours.

But unfortunately when you look at your house insurance, ours only allows us to leave the house unoccupied for 60 days . If i was you have a quick look at you own house insurance. Hopefully yours is better than ours.
We have tropical fish, so a kind neighbour pops round every day or two to feed them. This means that the house never goes unoccupied for more than a few days at a time.
Perhaps you could get someone to visit every couple of months? There probably isn't a minimum period "occupation" to reset the clock.

We're happy with Nationwide's "free" 30 days, with paid extension to 120, even with wrinklies surcharge. And we're using it right now!

We’ve got the Nationwide one too. But I think there’s some small print about someone going in to inspect at some regular interval?

We have tropical fish, so a kind neighbour pops round every day or two to feed them. This means that the house never goes unoccupied for more than a few days at a time.
Perhaps you could get someone to visit every couple of months? There probably isn't a minimum period "occupation" to reset the clock.
Check carefully as most policies require the property to be occupied by the policyholder or a member of their family normally residing with them.
There are companies who will cover longer unoccupancy Subject to terms eg draining down water or leaving heating on at a minimum temperature.
Check it out carefully.

Check carefully as most policies require the property to be occupied by the policyholder or a member of their family normally residing with them.
There are companies who will cover longer unoccupancy Subject to terms eg draining down water or leaving heating on at a minimum temperature.
Check it out carefully.
There is a difference between people living there (policyholder, family, lodgers) and people occupying (guests, housesitters, neighbours feeding pets) and it's important not to conflate the two.
I have never noticed a clause saying the house has to be occupied by the policyholder or family member, but it's not relevant to me in any case, so I've not looked carefully.

I'm afraid I have noticed the occupancy conditions being quite clear that occasional overnight visits from even family members don't count.
So do check what they want or what they will agree to before you decide to spend exteneed periods away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back