A1 south.

runnach

What is it with the A1 as you approach Gateshead around the Metro Centre, always chocablock, then there is that section near that rusting thingy on a hill, they have been working on that for years!!

I did plan for a fuel stop at Costco, silly me forgot my translation book, as they do talk funny doon there 😆

What is it with the A1 as you approach Gateshead around the Metro Centre, always chocablock, then there is that section near that rusting thingy on a hill, they have been working on that for years!!

I did plan for a fuel stop at Costco, silly me forgot my translation book, as they do talk funny doon there 😆
Call in for a coffee Terry

When heading South and entering Gods little acre keep in the middle or outside lanes when it opens up to 3 lanes. There are quite a few on and off slip roads which are a pain at busy times. You need to be in the middle or outside lane at the far end anyway as the inside lane becomes a slip road off at the Coalhouse roundabout.

Neither I or the Wife have driven through the roadworks for nearly 2 years now. Being local, we know all the alternatives. My advice? Come off the A1 at Cramlington and use the A19 through the Tyne Tunnel.

BTW, forget Costco in Gateshead as it is always very busy. Weekends are a nightmare.

Our neighbour is a Geordie and last year when I told him we were off to Newcastle he asked us to buy some stottie cake and some pease pudding for him. I was convinced it was a wind up but sure enough we managed to get some for him. Strange folk down there.

When heading South and entering Gods little acre keep in the middle or outside lanes when it opens up to 3 lanes. There are quite a few on and off slip roads which are a pain at busy times. You need to be in the middle or outside lane at the far end anyway as the inside lane becomes a slip road off at the Coalhouse roundabout.

Neither I or the Wife have driven through the roadworks for nearly 2 years now. Being local, we know all the alternatives. My advice? Come off the A1 at Cramlington and use the A19 through the Tyne Tunnel.

BTW, forget Costco in Gateshead as it is always very busy. Weekends are a nightmare.
Easy to to do Jim when you are local and know the various routes to take, one day transiting through Gateshead route will be a breeze, if I’m still alive!!

Despite the traffic, missing out Costco probably saved us over an hour in downtime.

Another tip Terry.

On your way home you will come around a bend in the A1 just after the rusty angle. Avoid the inside lane and stay in the middle one. That is because when they widened the A1 to 3 lanes nobody must have told them about the Ladypark Drift Mine. The Mine roadway ran down at an angle at roughly 90 degrees to the road. Before they even opened the road properly, a large sinkhole appeared in the inside lane. Yes, it had collapsed into the Drift. On the basis that the construction company could have skimped on the repair, I always stay in the middle lane. :ROFLMAO:

Another tip Terry.

On your way home you will come around a bend in the A1 just after the rusty angle. Avoid the inside lane and stay in the middle one. That is because when they widened the A1 to 3 lanes nobody must have told them about the Ladypark Drift Mine. The Mine roadway ran down at an angle at roughly 90 degrees to the road. Before they even opened the road properly, a large sinkhole appeared in the inside lane. Yes, it had collapsed into the Drift. On the basis that the construction company could have skimped on the repair, I always stay in the middle lane. :ROFLMAO:
That will be that massive pothole I just missed this afternoon, Jim 😂

Easy to to do Jim when you are local and know the various routes to take, one day transiting through Gateshead route will be a breeze, if I’m still alive!!

Despite the traffic, missing out Costco probably saved us over an hour in downtime.
And need to bear in mind Newcastle has a chargeble LEZ if you ever too far off route (£50 please) and the Tunnel has a £5 charge for an >3.5t vehicle, so sometimes a little wait is easier.
(Newcastle LEZ doesn't matter to me personally as my old van is exempt, but don't like paying tolls :) )

FWIW, depends where you are heading down south, but going across to the west and the using the M6 can be a much better idea. When I go down to visit my family in Berkshire - around 40 miles due west of London, despite me being 15 miles from the North Sea, going across to Carlisle, and then heading down the M6 (2 mile detour at Haydock Park to go to Costco to refuel) to Brum and then M5/M40 is usually much less stop/stat than the A1/M1/A1/M1 nonsense - and there is literally less than a mile difference between the two routes (noted it on the Odometer).

My lad and his GF have gone to Rome for a short break and went via the M25 this morning. He reported no problem wit the diversion...mind you it was 4.30am when he went through!

Memories! I lived north of Newcastle back around the turn of the century and certainly don't miss the tailbacks around the Metro Centre.
The extra lane on the A1 Western Bypass certainly eased the congestion at peak times. However, these current road improvements just a couple of miles South of there are a real long term nuisance. The tailbacks can go back as far as the Metrocentre. In April the Tyne Bridge will be reduced to one lane each way because of work on the structure and road surface, which will last around 2 years I believe.

I never drive into Newcastle and have not for years. Normally it is a taxi for Hospital appointments but due to the Tyne Bridge work it will be a (free) bus ride into Gateshead Bus Station and the Metro to the Haymarket.

FWIW, depends where you are heading down south, but going across to the west and the using the M6 can be a much better idea. When I go down to visit my family in Berkshire - around 40 miles due west of London, despite me being 15 miles from the North Sea, going across to Carlisle, and then heading down the M6 (2 mile detour at Haydock Park to go to Costco to refuel) to Brum and then M5/M40 is usually much less stop/stat than the A1/M1/A1/M1 nonsense - and there is literally less than a mile difference between the two routes (noted it on the Odometer).
Good morning David, I have looked at M6 etc, and of course you are correct, there is very little in it with time and miles when compared to A1. We are less than ten minute drive and it goes against my ocd and logic to cut across country when I am practically parked near A1. We are currently a few mile south of Grantham, apart from Newcastle/Gateshead section, the journey down has been really good and free flowing. Next stop, Dartford Costco to brim the tank, then onwards to Le Shuttle with a night stop in Folkestone. Oh, I forgot to mention, we always stop at Eyemouth for lunch to set us up for the trip down, at the harbour pub that serves one of the best fresh fish and chips I have tasted, that alone is worth using A1 😋😋😋😋

When you first look on the map, it makes no sense that going west can actually be no further then apparently heading directly down, especially when - and this people often don't realise - Edinburgh, a City in the East of Scotland is actually FURTHER West than Bristol.
But the ODOs don't lie :)
I still sometimes automatically head to the A1 as would be logically be the best way and then think "damn it! I should have gone via Carlisle" when it is too late to change :D .
The Sat Nav also prefers the A1 route and when I remember to go West and M6, for the first 10 miles it is telling me to make a U-Turn when safe :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back