A1 south.

Our neighbour is a Geordie and last year when I told him we were off to Newcastle he asked us to buy some stottie cake and some pease pudding for him. I was convinced it was a wind up but sure enough we managed to get some for him. Strange folk down there.
This weekend you should have been buying carlins (NO g) because it's Carlin Sunday.

Gordon

(Carlin, Palm, Paste Egg Day!)

<snip> When I go down to visit my family in Berkshire - around 40 miles due west of London, despite me being 15 miles from the North Sea, going across to Carlisle, and then heading down the M6 (2 mile detour at Haydock Park to go to Costco to refuel) to Brum and then M5/M40 is usually much less stop/stat than the A1/M1/A1/M1 nonsense - and there is literally less than a mile difference between the two routes (noted it on the Odometer).
Another potential option is to stay on the M5 to J11A and then A417/A419 down to M4 J15. Most of the A-road section is dual carriageway.

Another potential option is to stay on the M5 to J11A and then A417/A419 down to M4 J15. Most of the A-road section is dual carriageway.
it is indeed an option, but you are adding on quite a few miles for little benefit (I time my journeys to avoid the Brummie peaks).
The good thing is when you are on the west side you have much more usable choices than on the east (IMO). Quite often I would go M4 West to the Newbury turn off and then head up the A34 to Oxford and join the M40 that way if leaving Berkshire in the Morning, where most of the traffic is East-bound. Going all the way to Swindon never seemed like a worthwhile move.
(spent quite a while all around the M4 and towns North and South of it as a Service Engineer around 35 off years ago :) )

Graffiti artists tag, my artistic driving rearranges the landscape 👍

What is it with the A1 as you approach Gateshead around the Metro Centre, always chocablock, then there is that section near that rusting thingy on a hill, they have been working on that for years!!

I did plan for a fuel stop at Costco, silly me forgot my translation book, as they do talk funny doon there 😆
Hadaway n shite ye Scotch git wadaya taakin about, we dint taalk funny down here the naars! 🤪

When you first look on the map, it makes no sense that going west can actually be no further then apparently heading directly down, especially when - and this people often don't realise - Edinburgh, a City in the East of Scotland is actually FURTHER West than Bristol.
But the ODOs don't lie :)
I still sometimes automatically head to the A1 as would be logically be the best way and then think "damn it! I should have gone via Carlisle" when it is too late to change :D .
The Sat Nav also prefers the A1 route and when I remember to go West and M6, for the first 10 miles it is telling me to make a U-Turn when safe :)
The M1 at Catcliffe actually goes Northeast on the southbound carriageway briefly, there are other anomalies too.

I regularly used both routes Lydiate Ash/Chieveley in both directions when travelling by car between the Midlands and Hampshire. My satnav, set for fastest route, normally selected the A417/A419 route, but of course the difference might have been just seconds. Surprised me, because previously I had always gone for M42/M40/A34. Useful to have the option if there are problems on one route.

I’m a bit odd in that travelling south from Aberdeen I refuse to go via Stirling /Glasgow. I always go via Edinburgh then depending on destination take A1 or A68 / A697 if heading for Newcastle area or A701 (Devils Beeftub)/ M74 if heading further south. Could be something to do with visiting daughter near Edinburgh en route.

For the over 60 years I've travelled North or South along the A697 by bus (also delivering mail) or car to either stay with or visit relatives, some I didn't know I had. Even though I'm growing older I still visit a remote church to pay me respects to those who sleep there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back