Batteries flat with little use, can anyone recommend anywhere a auto electrician between Valladolid and Seville

Mobilvetta

Been mainly using EHU on my travels but found that the two 110 AGM batteries are lasting less than two days before dropping to 11volts. We have only used the LED lights, the blower for the trauma heating has been on for one hour both morning and night and obviously the water pump and charging two mobile phones, no TV usage or invertors etc. Fridge runs on gas, it seems to me they are failing. I've contacted Alpha batteries as they are less than two years old and come with a three year guarantee, we have two 130 watt solar panels going through a Victron MPPT system, but I noticed that the regulator on that must have closed down this last two days

I have spoken to Leisure tech services at Clitheroe who installed the solar system last year and they think that the regulator has closed down because of a fault with the batteries, they think if I replace them the solar will start working again. I'm useless with electrics, this is why I need to get it checked out if anyone can recommend anywhere from Valladolid and Gibraltar.

I've just drove 3 hours today and the batteries are now showing around 12.98 volts, I've split them and tested them with a multimeter, but as I say even though it is sunny there are no amps or watts going into the batteries. I've attached some readings from the Victron Mppt if anyone can shed some light on it. Thanks David

Screenshot_2024-01-12-15-51-09-759_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpgScreenshot_2024-01-16-17-50-50-852_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpgScreenshot_2024-01-18-12-21-44-938_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpgScreenshot_2024-01-18-14-58-29-777_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpgScreenshot_2024-01-18-14-58-34-360_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpg

Last edited:
Your max charge current is set to zero. I presume that you can adjust this?

Thanks for the reply, I really don't know,useless with electrics,that is why I paid to have the solar system done, but you could well be right, hopefully more knowledgeable members on here will be able to talk my through it. It still doesn't explain though why two fully charged batteries from been on EH I didn't last two days, didn't have this problem last year, I could manage 5 days off grid with careful use

PM Wildebus Dave.
He’s the man.
Thanks Rodger. I hope it's not the batteries, I was hoping to go the lithium route when these failed, but that would probably involve modifying the charging system I believe and having a DC/DC charger fitted and perhaps swapping the main motorhome charger as I don't think there is a lithium option on it. A job I would prefer to have done in the UK. But in the short term if it proves to be the batteries I will have to replace them here.

That will be the problem almost certainly. You can click that field and adjust it anywhere from 0A to whatever you like (but beyond the rating of the controller would be pointless).
It is not a setting that would normally be changed by anyone except maybe mischievously (it could be a way to turn off the charger output, but the usual way to do that would be to simply click the "charger enabled" toggle)

That will be the problem almost certainly. You can click that field and adjust it anywhere from 0A to whatever you like (but beyond the rating of the controller would be pointless).
It is not a setting that would normally be changed by anyone except maybe mischievously (it could be a way to turn off the charger output, but the usual way to do that would be to simply click the "charger enabled" toggle)
Thank you for your quick response David, I need to change the default password to stop this happening again, fingers crossed tomorrow it is back up and working.

Well spotted you was correct, wildebus told me how to adjust this and the solar is back working now. Thank you all for your input, what a great forum group, helping others getting out of a sticky situation, it will be interesting to see how the batteries hold up, once we start seeing the Sun and go off grid, instead of clouds and rain that have followed us south, it's -4 just now in Salamanca.

Staying on an aire with hook up, 4 other UK vans staying on the same aire tonight, the owner is taking 6 of us into Salamanca tomorrow morning and then picking us up later when we are ready as the aire is a few miles out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back