Beware TV DETECTOR VAN

If in doubt check official sources 😀

So if you don't ever watch anything live including (it would seem) Amazon Prime and dont want to "catch up" any BBC programme then you don't need a licence.
If you don't break the law then you are not liable to pay this "tax"
If you want to watch BBC at all then you pay for the them to be able to produce them.

As nearly all the other broadcasters offer a catch up service then there may well be an argument for not having a TV, if you find the cost (42p a day) of being able to conveniently watch any live broadcast too much.

You only need a TV licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast or use iPlayer – if you only use other catch-up sites, you don't need one. A rule that came into force in September 2016 means you need a licence to legally use BBC iPlayer, even if you're only watching catch-up TV

So just don’t watch anything on BBC channels or iPlayer or any other station live and don’t buy a license. No need to moan about it, just use catch up (non iPlayer) :)

don’t worry, be happy 😂🤪

You only need a TV licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast or use iPlayer – if you only use other catch-up sites, you don't need one. A rule that came into force in September 2016 means you need a licence to legally use BBC iPlayer, even if you're only watching catch-up TV

So just don’t watch anything on BBC channels or iPlayer or any other station live and don’t buy a license. No need to moan about it, just use catch up (non iPlayer) :)

don’t worry, be happy 😂🤪
You can listen but not watch,so turn the vol up and sit in next room,its all cr-p anyway

I believe you need a TV license for an appliance that has the ability to receive television programs (Computers, phones, etc) whether you watch them live or not.

No licence required to own equipment - link to requirements posted above - but your details will be sent to tv licencing when purchasing.

I believe you need a TV license for an appliance that has the ability to receive television programs (Computers, phones, etc) whether you watch them live or not.
I thought it was still like that but when I checked it has changed. The bit I posted above is from the licensing site.

Do you really think that a TV Detector Van would actually broadcast their WiFi name as "TV Detector Van"? They don't want people to know they are there. People often name their WiFi accordingly to deter people trying to get onto it.

Not sure about how many have been ‘caught’ but it is in the thousands. The old way of detecting was by picking up the signal from the ‘line output transformer’ in the crt TVs. No longer in use with flat screen tv so I think they just go on a database of who has bought a tv and hasn’t bought a licence. Do an internet search about not paying for a license and you will discover a whole new world out there!

Is meg mortemor still on x roads,been so long since i watched the chewing gum for eyes .

There is no logic at all in this day and age behind a TV licence, except to fund a left wing, politically correct organisation, heavily into social engineering.
Imagine if the same logic was applied to newspapers, then one sees how ludicrous the idea is. The BNC (British Newspaper Corporation) produces a newspaper, which everyone must pay for by buying a newspaper licence. Whats more if you do not purchase the said newspaper licence, then you are not allowed to read any other newspaper at all.
The mind boggles.
It’s a right wing policy not left wing

Whichever party is in power complains about BBC bias against it!
Presumably because awkward questions that show up incompetence are being asked.

Well, I'm going to stick my head up and say I think the BBC is excellent value for money.

For your licence fee you get :
BBC1,2 and 4 with 3 on the web. News channel, parliament channel.
Radios 1,2,3,4,5,6 and world service.
Local Radio Stations.

An excellent website which is my go to place when I want facts I can trust. This has been much reduced in the last few years particularly the education side.

All this and no adverts ! The BBC sets a standard the commercial stations have to match if there was no BBC then the standard would drop, all round.

The biggest complainer about the BBC is Rupert Murdoch. If the BBC were not there he would have free reign to put out more dross and charge more for it.

There is also the work the BBC plays in our cultural life such as promoting Music (popular and classic) and art.

This country would be a worse place without it.

I feel better for that.

Paul

Just look at the list of "extras" the BBC provide and consider how much the commercial channels do.

mark & paul your welcome to pay my sky fee after all i’ve subsidised you’re viewing pleasure for years , just encode it anyone who watches it pays for it simples ?

I don't have sky, so just looked it up, it appears the packages on offer are from £22 to £42 a month.
The licence works out at £12.88 a month.

I think I'd rather pay the BBC than line the pockets of Rupert and Premiership footballers. I take the point you have no choice but to pay the licence, but it is a licence,if you have a gun you have to have a licence, if you have a TV you should have a licence, we are paying for a National TV service, the BBC's responsibilities extend beyond simple entertainment. It is not measurable on a per view basis.

Paul.

Andy, look what you have started !

However the current trend in programmes like countryfile to make programmes which have subject items broken into three or more segments and then presented in small chunks (with recaps of what went before) alternating with other similarly butchered items is atrocious. There may as well be ad breaks since any continuity has gone out the window.
This practice drives me nuts as well, do they think we have attention spans of less than 5 mins and need everything repeating? or is it simply cheaper to make 15mins and simply repeat it 3 times ? All broadcasters seem to be guilty of this .

This practice drives me nuts as well, do they think we have attention spans of less than 5 mins and need everything repeating? or is it simply cheaper to make 15mins and simply repeat it 3 times ? All broadcasters seem to be guilty of this .

The BBC makes a lot of money (which will subsidise the Licence Fee) by selling programmes worldwide. Other countries tend to be funded by advertising and I expect the format needs to be suitable for this.

The BBC makes a lot of money (which will subsidise the Licence Fee) by selling programmes worldwide. Other countries tend to be funded by advertising and I expect the format needs to be suitable for this.
That is a very good point about being able to insert ads retrospectively, I hadn't thought of that. You see on some of the early BBC programs broadcast by Dave how unnatural the ad breaks were.

It is still a pain to get these programmes full of 'coming up' and looking back.
Years ago writers used to comment on the fact that they got nearly 10 mins an hour more time on BBC than ITV - gone now with some shows and all the plugs afterwards.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back