Breakdown cover

I have not used them yet , hope I never have to, but previously I had it with TSB AND USED IT A COUPLE OF TIMES,Icannot fault it only reason I opted for nationwide, it covers EU and TSB doesn’t

We've been with Britannia rescue for a while now, up to 7.5t cover me and Liz in any vehicle, used them twice in 2 days a couple of weeks ago, I cannot fault them, it's cheaper for CSMA members, supported by LV.

Nationwide FlexPlus account for me, 7.5t and 8m limit. 180 days EU and for price get Phone Ins., basic Travel Ins., and no charge ATM withdrawals abroad. Breakdown cover is by Britannia Rescue, part of LV so big backing. Full price is £13 pm if open account in single name but, if opened in joint names, both get full benefits of account cover. They also pay 3% interest on first £2500 balance pm, we keep our "rainy day", emergency funds in there so they give us £6.50 each pm, which means the excellent cover costs us £6.50 pm or £3.25 each. Doesn't have to be main account, no minimums in and out, infact we don't use it, except paying in to pay for cover. Excellent reviews and feedback. Friends used twice in Europe this year, excellent outcomes and customer service. RAC have had the worst bad press in recent years for letting customers down, worst I heard was a 70+ boy left in motorhome for 36 hours in mid Wales, with very little contact, then when they loaded him they broke down, he was only going to Bristol too.

We've been with Britannia rescue for a while now, up to 7.5t cover me and Liz in any vehicle, used them twice in 2 days a couple of weeks ago, I cannot fault them, it's cheaper for CSMA members, supported by LV.
I'm the same through Asda. Geraldine the camper named as vehicle ( over 30yrs old ) and covers us in any car.
In the past we have had to call them out twice in one day for Geraldine. No problem.

Despite what @Rec said, I’d definitely recommend Autoaid. The cover is for the person and spouse rather than a vehicle and covers trailers and caravans with no supplement.
We’ve had to use them 2-3 times over the 10 years we’ve been with them and response was good each time. I think we paid about 55 last year as it’s recently gone up.

I've been with RAC since about 1979. When we joined C&CC in 1993 I swapped to their RAC Arrival - the main thing at the time was that ordinary breakdown, even if extended to include Europe, had a "nothing over 10 years old" clause whereas Arrival covers any length, weight or age.
Been with them ever since. Yes, it's pricey as I have the "knobs on" version but they have always been very good on the many occasions over the years when I have had to call on them. It covers me regardless of what vehicle I am driving and when both kids were living at home and had their own vehicles it wasn't much more to add them on, which takes a lot of worrying off a mother's mind. ??

If you have more than 1 vehicle then Green Flag do a membership which covers a 'person' not a vehicle covering any vehicle they're in even as a passenger, it was an extra £25 or so extra and it's up to 3500kg GTVW.

The RAC scheme Arrival through the C&CC is the only one that caters for larger ‘vans and is available throughout EU.
We are nearly 5T fully loaded and over 8m long so needed a low loader when the ignition failed in France! Their tech team in France are excellent wouldn’t look anywhere else the additional cost is well worth the peace of mind.

Despite what @Rec said, I’d definitely recommend Autoaid. The cover is for the person and spouse rather than a vehicle and covers trailers and caravans with no supplement.
We’ve had to use them 2-3 times over the 10 years we’ve been with them and response was good each time. I think we paid about 55 last year as it’s recently gone up.
See my edit , it was emergency assist. Sorry

See my post #21 on this thread.. Might be worth looking at Barclays who use RAC...

K ;)

I have been covered by the AIB breakdown service for several years. This year changed car insurance to the AA, got a great price for personnel breakdown cover up to 3500kg for the UK, we wont be going over the water, so it fits the bill this year. :) :)

I have a long wheelbase Ducato van conversion and took out the UK RAC package via an agent. However, when I wanted to upgrade subsequently to Eu cover for a forthcoming trip to the Republic of Ireland, primarily for recovery, it was very expensive. I found through their chat line that Green Flag will cover me as a VAN for breakdown and recovery back to the U.K. at half the price of the RAC EU quote. Has anyone gone down this route please?

When you say recovery are you meaning repatriation of the vehicle? Breakdown cover in ROI is already included in std RAC uk breakdown cover.
K ;)

+3 for Nationwide current account
Nationwide flex plus account, have had to use it twice, fantastic response, including taxi to pick up hire car and two days hire, free. Delivered my van to my choice of destination too.

I am with RAC thru C&CC as they have a good rep with larger RVs in UK and Europe , that was deciding factor . If you are in something more mainstream might be not so cut and dried :)

That's the point RAC et al charge £100+ for UK cover on one vehicle and have size & weight restrictions whereas Nationwide give full European cover for all vehicles and max charge is <£150 - even less if you have money in account and include worldwide travel insurance etc etc .
It's an absolute no brainer!

Last edited:
That's the point RAC et al charge £100+ for UK cover on one vehicle and have size & weight restrictions whereas Nationwide give full European cover for all vehicles and max charge is <£150 - even less if you have money in account and include worldwide travel insurance etc etc .
It's an absolute no brainer!
RAC Arrivals , covered my RV UK and EU and that was 12mtrs and 11.9 tonnes so I dont know where their restrictions start ? :)

RAC Arrivals , covered my RV UK and EU and that was 12mtrs and 11.9 tonnes so I dont know where their restrictions start ? :)
That's good - how much did it cost?
I have to admit that for full size 'lorries' (>8m >7 5T) that the package deals won't provide cover.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back