Bubble bubble toilet trouble

Millstone Grit

Our van is back with the vendor for the second time concerning a leaking toilet. If it's used in accordance with the instructions ie. blade in then pull out when finished you get your feet wet. The inside of the cassette housing has to be mopped out when the cassette is emptied. Not good. If the blade is pulled out before use the feet wetting is mostly avoided but not quite but cassette housing still needs mopping. Has anyone else had such problems and how were they rectified. The toilet is a Dometic. Those of you at Littleborough and Anglesey may now be thinking "Aah, that's what that smell was"😅

Not sure about a Dometic toilet, but I assume it works on a similar principle to the Thetford units. There should be a good seal between the bowl and cassette whether the blade is open or closed. I would check the seals are in good condition.
If left to dry out or cleaned with bleach, the seals can shrink or crack.

Not sure about a Dometic toilet, but I assume it works on a similar principle to the Thetford units. There should be a good seal between the bowl and cassette whether the blade is open or closed. I would check the seals are in good condition.
If left to dry out or cleaned with bleach, the seals can shrink or crack.
Thanks for that. Hopefully its cured. New toilet fitted😃👌

The question that has to be asked @Millstone Grit is how old is your van and from where and when did you buy it?

A badly leaking loo is a serious health and hygiene risk issue and needs to be professionally sorted forthwith rather than them buggering you about!

If they do continue to bugger you about and just as long as your purchase was quite recent then give every consideration to taking legal action, or at the very least consult with Trading Standards who sadly can be somewhat less use than a chocolate tea pot.

The problem is that oh so many caravan and motorhome dealers employ inept wrench monkies who can't give a second hand fig about you the customer and sadly, that would appear to be the attitude of so many of their bosses as well....... If you don't believe me then I suggest you trawl through the reviews of a wide cross section of dealers and forgetting the 4 and 5 star reviews, start digging a lot deeper and take a look at the problems some of their customers have had!! Oh and there are a few of the UK manufacturers who are equally as bad!!

Our van is back with the vendor for the second time concerning a leaking toilet. If it's used in accordance with the instructions ie. blade in then pull out when finished

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

I'd have thought so as well never given any thought to doing it on top of flap like a lot of things nowadays I expect whoever wrote the manual has some brilliant qualifications but never used or seen a cassette toilet

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back