C1 licence retention question

SimonM

It’s not quite my time just yet, but it’s rapidly approaching, what is required to ensure C1 licence retention at 70yo?

I know it involves a medical and eye test, but what exactly is required?

I would speak to the DVLA or DSA (whatever they are called these days ) for a medical form as you do need a medical and if you look up D4Drivers you can get a medical with them for a lot less than your doctor. Apparently then your licence lasts for 3 years before you need another medical.

@B J McKay is correct. You need to get the D2 application and D4 medical form, which can be ordered from the DVLA website online in paper form or downloaded as a PDF from the same source. The paper form of both can also be obtained from most post offices as an 'application form pack'. You need to book an appointment with a doctor and (possibly) an optician*. These professionals will complete the relevant sections of the D4 form. You then send off the completed forms with a passport-type photo and original identity documents (if required). However, you can just give your passport number (instead of identity documents) if that's in date. Your licence should last for three years unless you have a condition that the DVLA consider requires you to renew at a shorter interval.

Hint: there's a section at the bottom of each of pages 2-7 of the D4 for your full name and date of birth. The doctor has to fill these in if you don't do it before your appointment -- and that can get your doctor a little miffed, so it's a good idea to complete the left-hand side of page 1 and the bits at the bottom of pages 2-7 before your appointment.

* You might need to consult with an optician if you can't meet the minimum eyesight requirement without glasses/contact lenses, although you should be OK if you can easily meet the requirement with glasses etc. and have these to hand. In my case, I'd recently had cataract removal and didn't yet have the required glasses -- so I pre-empted my medical and got an optician to complete that page before seeing a D4Drivers doctor.

Links:
D4Drivers: https://d4drivers.uk/

@B J McKay is correct. You need to get the D2 application and D4 medical form, which can be ordered from the DVLA website online in paper form or downloaded as a PDF from the same source. The paper form of both can also be obtained from most post offices as an 'application form pack'. You need to book an appointment with a doctor and (possibly) an optician*. These professionals will complete the relevant sections of the D4 form. You then send off the completed forms with a passport-type photo and original identity documents (if required). However, you can just give your passport number (instead of identity documents) if that's in date. Your licence should last for three years unless you have a condition that the DVLA consider requires you to renew at a shorter interval.

Hint: there's a section at the bottom of each of pages 2-7 of the D4 for your full name and date of birth. The doctor has to fill these in if you don't do it before your appointment -- and that can get your doctor a little miffed, so it's a good idea to complete the left-hand side of page 1 and the bits at the bottom of pages 2-7 before your appointment.

* You might need to consult with an optician if you can't meet the minimum eyesight requirement without glasses/contact lenses, although you should be OK if you can easily meet the requirement with glasses etc. and have these to hand. In my case, I'd recently had cataract removal and didn't yet have the required glasses -- so I pre-empted my medical and got an optician to complete that page before seeing a D4Drivers doctor.

Links:
D4Drivers: https://d4drivers.uk/
Great answer Geoff and smack on about filling in the bottom of the D4 medical form yourself and like you I go to spec savers for my eyesight check.I renewed my HGV this year age 69 and it extended my car licence to to age 72 ,bonus i thought.

the guy i go to my second one now fills the d4 himself i just sign it as you give them your details when booking . they do they eye test everything for £55 but don't use your doctor they will rip you off . mine did for my HGV wanting cash £150 & i have been retired 20 years all those years ago so watch who you go to .cheyenne

I would speak to the DVLA or DSA (whatever they are called these days ) for a medical form as you do need a medical and if you look up D4Drivers you can get a medical with them for a lot less than your doctor. Apparently then your licence lasts for 3 years before you need another medical.

I sent an email to D4D to ask them, and amazingly got an answer within a half hour - on a Sunday! They have told me I need to speak to DVLA beforehand. So that’s a job for Monday.

I sent an email to D4D to ask them, and amazingly got an answer within a half hour - on a Sunday! They have told me I need to speak to DVLA beforehand. So that’s a job for Monday.
Why did you not do as GeoffL said just go on line the forms are there to download ( I just looked ) a lot quicker than trying to get through to them on the phone. Just google renew my licence when 70. You can do that today

I want to preempt any awkwardness by checking well ahead of when it becomes a need to apply. its still more than 12 ki this away.

I want to preempt any awkwardness by checking well ahead of when it becomes a need to apply. its still more than 12 ki this away.
Worth bearing in mind that C1 retention involves a paper-based system that was taking some months. OK to drive in the UK while waiting for the new licence, subject to certain criteria, but going abroad would be another matter.

Worth bearing in mind that C1 retention involves a paper-based system that was taking some months. OK to drive in the UK while waiting for the new licence, subject to certain criteria, but going abroad would be another matter.
Both Jan and I applied early (Jan in April 2022 for a licence expiring that July and me last October for a licence expiring the following month) we both got our new licences back in about a week. So it seems that the DVLA have caught up on the backlog -- at least for new applications. HTH

You need to get the D2 application and D4 medical form, which can be ordered from the DVLA website online in paper form or downloaded as a PDF from the same source.
Why did you not do as GeoffL said just go on line the forms are there to download ( I just looked ) a lot quicker than trying to get through to them on the phone. Just google renew my licence when 70. You can do that today
I don’t think the D2 can be downloaded and printed, it certainly could not be downloaded when I applied less than 3 years ago. It included some non paper elements that can not be printed. It can be ordered online as a D2/D4 pack or picked up from some (but not all) Post Offices. The D4 is downloadable here.
It is worth having a spare copy of the D4 form, D4Drivers made a complete mess of my first form and I needed a new one to take to my GP. I got a full refund from D4Drivers.

You can apply 90 days before your old license expires. If you apply with more than 56 days left on your old license you don’t need to supply a new photo which seems to mean the DVLA can process it quicker.
IMG_0479.jpeg

just renewed mine for the second time with D4Drivers i had pre-filled my form but used wrong colour pen the doctor had a spare & filled it in for me , i had a weeks worth of BP readings and just renewed my glasses after the pup chewed them and specsavers gave me a full prescription so just a quick eyesight check , well worth the £50

It’s not quite my time just yet, but it’s rapidly approaching, what is required to ensure C1 licence retention at 70yo?

I know it involves a medical and eye test, but what exactly is required?
All the info is on line and it's really easy to do.

Do not use your GP for the medical. They're very expensive. Use someone like D4drivers (I did). They do the eye test as well, but check they're still on the government approved list.

In Theory mines due in 2030.
I am 100% certain that by then I will not have to because everyone will be able to drive a van plated up to 4250kg by then on a standard B license.

Assuming UK ratifies what the EU is proposing to do.

PS if that does happen then I wonder if vans plated >3500kg but <4250kg will change from PHGV to PLG.

I hope not because PHGV Ved is a lot cheaper!
But otoh many PLG vans can drive in some emission zones foc whereas PHGV gets clobbered for a charge.

decisions decisions!

In Theory mines due in 2030.
I am 100% certain that by then I will not have to because everyone will be able to drive a van plated up to 4250kg by then on a standard B license.

Assuming UK ratifies what the EU is proposing to do.
What is the EU proposing? Is it a general uplift to 4250kg or is it proposing what the UK already did in June 2018 which was an uplift to 4250kg but only for electric vans or others with alternative fuels. In other words we have already raised our limit 4250kg but it does not apply to petrol and diesel vehicles, which remain capped at 3500kg.

@Okta
The piece I read was below but you could well be right and they end up applying it only to zero emission vehicles.
However the UK Gov proposal sent out for comment last year was for any van and even Rospa was in broad agreement so it may happen irrespective of what the EU does.

@Okta
The piece I read was below but you could well be right and they end up applying it only to zero emission vehicles.
However the UK Gov proposal sent out for comment last year was for any van and even Rospa was in broad agreement so it may happen irrespective of what the EU does.

There is a good case for a general uplift because of the shortage of hgv and delivery drivers, not so sure that reasoning applies to age 70+ drivers of motorhomes. They might even argue a general relaxation for B drivers should be accompanied by stricter health rules for older drivers.

I am being far too negative today, I better go out and get some fresh air.

PS if that does happen then I wonder if vans plated >3500kg but <4250kg will change from PHGV to PLG.

I hope not because PHGV Ved is a lot cheaper!
But otoh many PLG vans can drive in some emission zones foc whereas PHGV gets clobbered for a charge.

decisions decisions!
they will raise the PHGV to 4.25t but keep the emissions zones threshold at 3.5t ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back