CENSUS 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 144
  • Start date

Deleted member 144

Did the Census on line Yesterday all very easy did it for my wife too, they wanted to know what sex my wife partner was / is , I ticked don't know hee hee, also good that I could tick ENGLISH as my Nationality .

hot air balloon.jpg

Are they not meant to be filled out on a specific day to reflect the nation on that day?

I think you also used to have to include any person in the house at the appointed time, wether family or not.

Davy

Are they not meant to be filled out on a specific day to reflect the nation on that day?
You can fill out and submit now or even after the 21st BUT you have to guesstimate who will be sleeping in you home on census day, daft or what.

You can fill out and submit now or even after the 21st BUT you have to guesstimate who will be sleeping in you home on census day, daft or what.
I guess in the current situation, you can take a pretty good stab at that. The only possible thing that could change is someone going into hospital or dying :(

Filled ours in tonight, there's not going to be anyone else staying here for quite a while with Covid-19 about.

Never filled one out in my life, not going to start now.
That’s a shame. I’ve found the censuses very useful when producing a family tree, they are not released for 100 years so you’ll probably not be worrying about it by then. It’s great to see the signature of an ancestor from 150 years or more ago. Incidentally both my wife and myself have some Irish blood (as well as Scottish, English and in my case Welsh).

Never filled one out in my life, not going to start now.
I completely agree with Bill (2cv) and think it's a shame. (My wife was born in Northern Ireland.)

For myself, my only regret is that I could actually see the handwriting of my ancestors on the 1911 Census, and could learn much from their language and the way they wrote. My grandfather's hand writing puts mine to shame :confused:

This 21st March 2021 is the first electronic Census, and whilst it's modern and trendy, I feel we've lost something.

Reactions: 2cv
That’s a shame. I’ve found the censuses very useful when producing a family tree, they are not released for 100 years so you’ll probably not be worrying about it by then. It’s great to see the signature of an ancestor from 150 years or more ago. Incidentally both my wife and myself have some Irish blood (as well as Scottish, English and in my case Welsh).
Well doing it on line incurs NO signature so that will end ?

If you were farming folk it was common for your employees to use your surname for the census as this avoided paying tax on their work. Also another bad habit was to be called "John" My father was called John all his life. His name was William! As for the Irish you were lucky to get a surname and if you did it would be all the same for the people around them. It does make it hard to track relatives, but it makes me laugh at how many people claim they were descended from royalty. I would not trust any information that can't be confirmed in two ways. I'm supposed to be descended from a woman that sold heather on the side of an Irish road. Like that would be easy to prove.
So as for my census, isn't it a violation of you human rights to be asked your sex, age, colour or even your religious beliefs?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back