Checking LPG Bottle Level

AndyWill64

Having changed by Truma heater recently I'm wanting to monitor the LPG level more closely.

I ordered some of those magnetic indicator strips from Amazon a couple of years ago but although marked as delivered they never turned up. I was going to order few more today, even though I have little faith in their accuracy, then remembered I'd got one of those digital laser thermometer things.

With no gas being used, the top of the bottle reads around 10degC, and keeping the trigger pressed while moving slowly down the bottle the temperature drops about half a degree, which I assume is at the gas level. After turning the heating on, the top of the bottle drops to 9.5deg, and the difference at the gas level is slightly more than half a degree.

Having changed by Truma heater recently I'm wanting to monitor the LPG level more closely.

I ordered some of those magnetic indicator strips from Amazon a couple of years ago but although marked as delivered they never turned up. I was going to order few more today, even though I have little faith in their accuracy, then remembered I'd got one of those digital laser thermometer things.

With no gas being used, the top of the bottle reads around 10degC, and keeping the trigger pressed while moving slowly down the bottle the temperature drops about half a degree, which I assume is at the gas level. After turning the heating on, the top of the bottle drops to 9.5deg, and the difference at the gas level is slightly more than half a degree.
The attached Gaslow Data Sheet gives a good description of the Gas Levels for refillable bottles. 20% full at the junction of the yellow and red sectors! HTH

SteveGaslow Refillable Bottle Gauge Levels.jpg

So far I've stuck with the 13Kg red Calor bottles, but might consider changing to Gaslow if there's a significant saving.

The cheapest '13Kg' (12.55) bottle I've found locally is from the coal yard at £39.50, or £3.10 per Kg.

I've got an automatic changeover device, and assume I could use a Calor bottle on one side and Gaslow on the other?

The attached Gaslow Data Sheet gives a good description of the Gas Levels for refillable bottles. 20% full at the junction of the yellow and red sectors! HTH

SteveView attachment 71431

Because of the seemingly stupid short door on my gas locker (possibly to prevent the bottles falling out if the door flies open on the move) I wouldn't be able to see the gauge anyway 😏

So far I've stuck with the 13Kg red Calor bottles, but might consider changing to Gaslow if there's a significant saving.

The cheapest '13Kg' (12.55) bottle I've found locally is from the coal yard at £39.50, or £3.10 per Kg.

I've got an automatic changeover device, and assume I could use a Calor bottle on one side and Gaslow on the other?
If you are planning on full-timing, I would think switching to a refillable system would pay for itself fairly quickly?

You sometimes come across people selling bottles with plenty of life left in them.

Because of the seemingly stupid short door on my gas locker (possibly to prevent the bottles falling out if the door flies open on the move) I wouldn't be able to see the gauge anyway 😏
Would it be possible to take a photo of the gauge with your phone? I've done similar to read a friend's awkwardly placed household electricity meter.

Would it be possible to take a photo of the gauge with your phone? I've done similar to read a friend's awkwardly placed household electricity meter.

Yes, that's an option, just a faff, which kind of goes against the lifestyle 😁

Could this work?

Regards,
Del

Could this work?

Regards,
Del
what a waste of money

I have a alarm on my fridge it goes off when the gas runs out, and it is ALWAYS in the middle of a wet cold night 😁😁
Being an anal retentive, Jeff, I check gas cylinder levels every 2-3 days in Winter;, but, being an anal retentive, I do tend to walk in a rather odd way, reminding me that we should have mince for dinner ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steve

I got my 6kg kit from here, great service and fast delivery, beats Gasit prices too. DIY is fairly simple if you like to do your own stuff, I'm quite mobile but managed to do mine last year, I can't fit a larger cylinder, but you obviously can, I opted to keep one Calor as a reserve to keep cost down and only use it until I can refill the Gaslow again.

Because of the seemingly stupid short door on my gas locker (possibly to prevent the bottles falling out if the door flies open on the move) I wouldn't be able to see the gauge anyway

I glued a small mirror to a bracket positioned above the gauge, just need to shine s torch on it to read it.

I confess to really liking the temp gauge idea, we keep one in the van to check the fridge so a no brainer for us (just as well) but we do tend to fill up when we see LPG anyway.

I confess to really liking the temp gauge idea, we keep one in the van to check the fridge so a no brainer for us (just as well) but we do tend to fill up when we see LPG anyway.

I only got mine for checking the fridge too - needed to record temperatures over time for a possible dead-on-arrival claim. Turned out it was "within spec" but more sensitive to being tilted to the side than the old one.

Snap

IMG_0016.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back