Christmas advice please. (Even though it's only August).

We are considering going away in the motorhome this Xmas, possibly to Scotland. I have just been looking for CLs or sites and the majority are closed mid winter. Has anyone ever spent Xmas (anywhere) in their van? I'm assuming hookup would be a must to avoid hammering the LPG. Europe is the obvious choice but we are there in Sept/Oct and again next spring so thought UK just for a couple of weeks.
Barrow Camp site at Nairn is a great little site and the town of Nairn is ideal for shopping.

Not Scotland and not cheap, we spent Xmas during one of the lockdown breaks at Whitehead in the Forest of Dean. Got a discount for Boundless (formerly CSMA) membership. Hardstanding, EHU, leisure centre (pool, sauna, steam), entertainment (panto, carols), excellent Xmas lunch. Campsite not something we would usually do, or having such facilities but it was a treat as we could not visit daughter and family in Australia.

Hasn't got the best reviews though !!!
It has got that Gloster Meteor though - must be one of the ugliest planes ever!

It has got that Gloster Meteor though - must be one of the ugliest planes ever!
Wash your mouth out lol .....

I spent many many happy hours watching those (and vampires/meteors etc etc ) fly out of RAF Llanbedr in North Wales as a kid ....

Chasing Jindivik drones

The meteor is a lovely old bird ...

We've spent Christmas in Scotland,for over 20 years. various places, touring everyday.
Usually wildcamping,some aires such as Castle Corner.
We stick to the coast unless it is mild.
Give it a try!

I must admit that the original meteor was easier on the eye than the variant shown with the big hooter. Still not a patch on the beautiful TSR-2 shown in my avatar which was a victim of Wilson's government. I saw it fly when I was about 10 or 11, it was so graceful in the sky.
All way off topic, my apologies to the OP!

We've spent Christmas in Scotland,for over 20 years. various places, touring everyday.
Usually wildcamping,some aires such as Castle Corner.
We stick to the coast unless it is mild.
Give it a try!
Have you got a route to follow...interested in a journey around Scotland ????

We are considering going away in the motorhome this Xmas, possibly to Scotland. I have just been looking for CLs or sites and the majority are closed mid winter. Has anyone ever spent Xmas (anywhere) in their van? I'm assuming hookup would be a must to avoid hammering the LPG. Europe is the obvious choice but we are there in Sept/Oct and again next spring so thought UK just for a couple of weeks.
Scotland is good for Wild Camping if you can survive without a 240V Supply in.
We have recently joined BritStops and they have a Scotland section so perhaps look at that ?

There are about 100 in the 2023 Book. I suppose for the size of Scotland that isn't really a lot !

Do you mean this ?
View attachment 70476
I am always wary of installing anything under 4 stars, is it actually any good ?
I've used search for sites for years ...

It's a useful resource ...

though I prefer relying on O/S maps and Google earth for finding spots that aren't plastered all over the Web

I've used search for sites for years ...

It's a useful resource ...

though I prefer relying on O/S maps and Google earth for finding spots that aren't plastered all over the Web
Probably a good call then, I will give the Search for sites app a go if it's free. Most things / places and other bits of info in general seem plastered all over the WWW. it is the nature of things now

WE used to go to donegall when the kids were young to see santa at the folk village which was sorted for xmas, then a night in a hotel where the owner kept offering me a job, have not been for a fre years now as they told me there is no santa, i stiil have not got over it. LOl.llb.jpglld.jpglle.jpgllg.jpg

The world has changed dramatically IMO since 2011 and your young ones there must now be in late teens or early twenties methinks
Nice photos :)

The world has changed dramatically IMO since 2011 and your young ones there must now be in late teens or early twenties methinks
Nice photos :)
Daughter soom 15 son will be 13 after her, seems like yesterday they were in nappies, my turn soon LOL.
Date on cam incorrect, never found out how to change it, think that was about 2017

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back