Drive away or roll out awning

Chebeag

What are people's thoughts on awnings. Thinking of adding one to the van but can't decide. I've had both Drive away and roll out awnings on previous vans but can't make up my mind. What are your thoughts.

Two weeks to go, I'm getting twitchy.😵😀😧😵😀😍

Very different animals

A Drive away awning is a tent (no idea why they call them Awnings!)
A Roll-out awning is a shade/cover from sun and rain.

The Driveaway awning I had (a Khyam Motordome) I never once 'drove away' from. It was basically an quick-erect tent with an attachment to the van
I then got a Safari/Privacy room - basically walls that attach to a roll-out awning to make an attached room. Stops you driving away (but in my case, see above :) )

I have a different motorhome now but with a rollout awning still and intend to use the Privacy Room again with it (assuming it fits), but if I wanted a true "driveaway" setup on a trip out I would use my pop-up Screenhouse gazebo.

They're my thoughts anyway :D

Very different animals

The Driveaway awning I had (a Khyam Motordome) I never once 'drove away' from. It was basically an quick-erect tent with an attachment to the van
I then got a Safari/Privacy room - basically walls that attach to a roll-out awning to make an attached room. Stops you driving away (but in my case, see above :) )

I have a different motorhome now but with a rollout awning still and intend to use the Privacy Room again with it (assuming it fits), but if I wanted a true "driveaway" setup on a trip out I would use my pop-up Screenhouse gazebo.

Yeah I'd thought about using my pop up too, saves spending any money😀😀 Decisions decisions.🐢🐇

Very different animals

Tent has 4 sides drive away Awning usually has 3

We have an awning ..ie a rool out roof with legs.
The vehicle came with the full safari room so 3 sides plus thw motorhome wall !
Never used the safari room so sold it
Quite happy with the awning which we use on UK campsites and french aires etc
Obviously do not use it when wilding in Uk but can be used in some "wild-camps" in Norway and Sweden.
Suits us
We NEVER leave it up overnight but it is so quick and easy to use
Suits us but we rareley stay anywhere more than 3 nights..also only 2 of us !

We're greedy and have both. We use the roll out with front and side panels if the weather is going to be fairly clement and not windy. Even with the storm strap I don't trust it in the strong wind and it's noisy! If we know its going to be fairly nasty we use the driveaway. Also time spent in one place is a factor. Short time - rollout, 4 days or more in one place - driveaway.

The driveway way a godsend when we were static in the UK for weeks at a time. Really loved the stability of it even in storms. But don't take it on our touring long trips ... too heavy and bulky and usually not on sites.

We have a khyam drive away awning and love it really quick and easy to erect and we have actually drove away from it but usually leave it attached to van and catch a bus if we go out would definitely recommend it for the extra storage space you can even get a bedroom section for it too if you need more sleeping capacity

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back