Engine fan running continually

Marshman

Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD 2005.
I recently had my Aux belt fail and that took out the timing belt. Helluva noise! Fortunately no engine damage (not sure how?) But belts replaced and all OK but! ...

The electric radiator fan is running more or less continuously sometime from a cold start, other times from when the engine gets up to temperature. On stopping the engine the fan runs on for up to 30 secs before turning off.
It never did this before the belts breaking. For the 14 years we have owed the van ... the fan used to only cut in after a long climb in the Alps. On a normal journey the engine temperature never went past half way.
Now the engine temperature doesn't even get up to halfway (on the instrument cluster gauge).
So my thoughts are that the belts breaking have caused this problem.

I returned the van back to the garage who did the belts .... they have checked the fan connectors and replaced the coolant temp sensor that feeds the CPU but that has not solved the problem. They are going to recheck various things on Thursday.

I have asked them to check if the broken belts flailing around have damaged the wiring?

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience as to why this is happening and/or what I should ask them to look at?

Thanks

Jeremy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back