France. Off the beat and track

Private owned young couple late 30s trying to make a go off it take my hat off to them place is spotless clean toilets and showers. Space for 40 vans and only 10 are in use with a couple of tents on a separate field.
if they want extra business they should go on campercontact data base & put the word out there . when we joined back in 2008 they was 1600 stops now there is over 39000 stops & there is a free stop near them with electric . cheyenne

In that photo as you can see by my serious expression im counting on my fingers. I’m trying to work out who’s round it is. I’ve been to the pub with five Englishmen all day and they haven’t bought a round in yet. 😂😜 And I’ve just found out I’ve got six fingers😂

Last edited:
Never used a campsite in UK in 15 yrs because of this until covid 8 mths a year in Europe now as many days as possible
Trouble with the UK is the lack of water availability. You can dump your casstte in any public convenience, assuming it is open and you aren't using blue Formaldehide chemical - but getting water? Even petrol stations have abandoned the traditional water hose and tyre pumps they used to have. All we could find now was combined screen wash and tyre pump stations, where you have to pay of course. The screen wash is premixed out of the hose, and presumably you get a maximum amount for whatever it costs. We have just been away for 9 days which is all we could manage without resorting to blackmail from campsites wanting ridiculous amounts of drinking vouchers to park on their grass and drink their water. I am a C&CC member so I looked up some local sites when I needed water, and all I got was £47 a night. As a senior member. (Although I have to say that on my mobile there was no facility to say that I am entitled to the senior discount). I'm not paying £47 for a dose of water, after all it's not Heavy Water (Heavy Water is very valuable, see Heroes of Telemark!) We went into a Lidl and bought some 1.5l bottles of water for the last couple of days. No one in Govt. wonders why there are very few European tourists here. We saw a total of one foreign reg car, from the Netherlands, and that was when we were near Hull.
Still, if people will pay £47 a night to park, then camp site owners will say "thank you very much, I don't see any reason to lower my prices". To go to Europe costs £200 for a ferry fee, then €1 for 100 l of water and another €1 to dump cassette - I'll pay that, but not £47 a night.

Done Futuroscope Terry. loved it for a the easygoing way it’s planned out would recommend it to anyone they have motorhome parking for about 200 vans with services big carpark withe large motorhome bays no electric but has drive over drain fresh water bog dump and bins €10 a night. Got the fridge with me Terry working a treat.👍
We did Futuroscope many years ago and thought it was wonderful, it had free overnight parking then, for ticket holders. Some more years on from our first visit we went again and were a bit disappointed. The first time, it was a Moving Image sub division of the Poitiers University but the second time they seem to have lost the Moving Image speciality bit and it had morphed into a children's theme park with more rides than films. The film that had me gasping the most, was one of a Saturn 5 rocket taking off. In ONE camera shot it started with a close up of the rivets on the rocket body, then panned back for the ignition and lift off, then as the rocket took off the camera followed its progress and saw the first stage separate, and still with the same camera followed the rocket until you could just make out the second stage separate. It must have been nearly in orbit by that time, and still the camera had it in shot. Later I saw the cameras they used, they are like WW2 AkAk guns with twin barrelled lenses about 20ft long, and the operator sits on a seat behind, with all sorts of controls to follow what they are filming.
Later we went to Cape Kennedy to see John Glenn take off for his second flight, this time in a Shuttle. That was an experience and a half, we got special close up tickets from NASA (only 7 miles away), the ground shook and the rocket exhaust was the same colour as the sun. Phew.

Trouble with the UK is the lack of water availability. You can dump your casstte in any public convenience, assuming it is open and you aren't using blue Formaldehide chemical - but getting water? Even petrol stations have abandoned the traditional water hose and tyre pumps they used to have. All we could find now was combined screen wash and tyre pump stations, where you have to pay of course. The screen wash is premixed out of the hose, and presumably you get a maximum amount for whatever it costs. We have just been away for 9 days which is all we could manage without resorting to blackmail from campsites wanting ridiculous amounts of drinking vouchers to park on their grass and drink their water. I am a C&CC member so I looked up some local sites when I needed water, and all I got was £47 a night. As a senior member. (Although I have to say that on my mobile there was no facility to say that I am entitled to the senior discount). I'm not paying £47 for a dose of water, after all it's not Heavy Water (Heavy Water is very valuable, see Heroes of Telemark!) We went into a Lidl and bought some 1.5l bottles of water for the last couple of days. No one in Govt. wonders why there are very few European tourists here. We saw a total of one foreign reg car, from the Netherlands, and that was when we were near Hull.
Still, if people will pay £47 a night to park, then camp site owners will say "thank you very much, I don't see any reason to lower my prices". To go to Europe costs £200 for a ferry fee, then €1 for 100 l of water and another €1 to dump cassette - I'll pay that, but not £47 a night.
Water can be a problem in the U.K. but there are places to get it, just finding out where multiplied by everywhere you go. I am exclusively U.K. and these days a lot of times I buy my water in supermarkets. Quite a few campsites wil let you fill up with water, empty cassette and may even allow use of showers, laundry and waste disposal for a fee. Certainly finding that more as time passes, using a site (or what passes for an aire in U.K.) Is extremely unusual for me. Remember a lot of the smaller independent campsites May be cheaper than the big two 👍

Even the certified sites can be expensive, we paid £15 to park in a slopey field with a tap on a falling-down post in one corner, sheep droppings everywhere, and the toilet was in the farmer's outhouse. I had wondered about asking a C&CC site for some water as I think I read somewhere that some of their sites are offering use of the facilities - showers, toilets, water, cassette dump for £7.50 for two hours, I think. But I'm not sure if that was a standard thing that they all have to offer, or if it is only some of them.
They all quote "from" something but as with the one I investigated on my phone last week, when it said "from £20 a night" reality was £47 a night. You could spend that in internet search fees looking.
Thanks for the encouragement that you are exclusively UK @nabsim . Years ago we got a 5 litre bottle from Tesco but recently , looking in Asda and the Co-Op the biggest we could find was 1.5l. Anyway it got us out of trouble for two days. Tricky trying to clean the toilet after a dump though! :unsure:

Even the certified sites can be expensive, we paid £15 to park in a slopey field with a tap on a falling-down post in one corner, sheep droppings everywhere, and the toilet was in the farmer's outhouse. I had wondered about asking a C&CC site for some water as I think I read somewhere that some of their sites are offering use of the facilities - showers, toilets, water, cassette dump for £7.50 for two hours, I think. But I'm not sure if that was a standard thing that they all have to offer, or if it is only some of them.
They all quote "from" something but as with the one I investigated on my phone last week, when it said "from £20 a night" reality was £47 a night. You could spend that in internet search fees looking.
Thanks for the encouragement that you are exclusively UK @nabsim . Years ago we got a 5 litre bottle from Tesco but recently , looking in Asda and the Co-Op the biggest we could find was 1.5l. Anyway it got us out of trouble for two days. Tricky trying to clean the toilet after a dump though! :unsure:
Literally dozens of basic sites around, many of them beautiful and quiet, for under £10 a night. https://m.facebook.com/groups/424445484557782/?ref=share

Ugh. Looks as if I might have to succumb to Facebook. :eek:

River water is good enough for the toilet

Ugh, I recall trying in vain to use FB some years ago. Now, when I try to create a new account because I didn't realise I already had one, I go through the routine of 'can't remember my password' they 'send you a 6 digit code to your phone'. I get a 6 digit code and enter it where they tell me do. They say "The number that you've entered doesn't match your code. Please try again" so I try again, "we'll send you another one". It jolly well does match but in any case I don't receive another one. Harrumph.
The number that you've entered doesn't match your code. Please try again.
Will I ever get to sample the delights of a camp site less than £10 ? ? ? ?

Ugh, I recall trying in vain to use FB some years ago. Now, when I try to create a new account because I didn't realise I already had one, I go through the routine of 'can't remember my password' they 'send you a 6 digit code to your phone'. I get a 6 digit code and enter it where they tell me do. They say "The number that you've entered doesn't match your code. Please try again" so I try again, "we'll send you another one". It jolly well does match but in any case I don't receive another one. Harrumph.
Will I ever get to sample the delights of a camp site less than £10 ? ? ? ?
It's not known as Faceache for nothing ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back