French MH speed limits change January 2018

Penquin

French MH speed limits change January 2018

The French Government is due to announce soon that the current 90kph speed limit for MH is to be lowered on ALL two lane RN roads EXCEPT those with a central barrier of some description.

This has apparently been trialled in some Departments since 2015 and is now to be rolled out throughout the country. It will end the distinction between MH under 3.5t and those over where the 90kph restriction has been the norm. MH over 3.5t are classified as Poids Lourdes under the French system so this will end that distinction - we have had this 80kph limit / restriction as we are 3.85t since we registered in France.

http://www.camping-car.com/actualite...s-nationales-T

I cannot claim anything over this - but would simply point it out to you just in case you decide to cruise at the normal 90kph - it applies to all drivers not just those with French registration.

The article says it will bring France into line with several other European countries; Switzerland, Norway, The Netherlands and Ireland

Just be aware of the change......:Thinking_Face_Emoji

Hi

Thanks Dave it is good to be forewarned.

Woh, I read it on here first then MHFs.

Regards

p-c

Thanks,someone though needs to tell the irish about it because flat out is the norm

Many duel carriagways here have no bit in the middle,speed limit here is 60 mph for them,dont know about down south.

Thanks Dave,
That will be useful for our 2018 trip over the channel.I wonder if the satnav manufacturers will update their speed limits as well.

edit;I have tried to thank Dave's initial post but it wont let me so I've liked it instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst everything posted so far is relevant, the limit may apply to all vehicles. This article in an English news site for expats does not mention Motorhomes specifically, so probably best to apply the limit to any towed car or scooter as well unless more detail gives clarity in future.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-departmental-speed-limit-could-drop-to-80-km-h

there is also mention of a potential for a reduction on motorways too, although no date set, so check for updates before you travel.

Davy

Bought our 4.2 van this year and just got used to driving slower than all the other vans got a load of camera flashes earlier in the year when I was unaware of the lower limits . Makes it easier for me now though and not so frustrating seeing vans whizzing past me.

Seems excessive to me. I Also seemed to pick of a few speed camera flashes this year. There is zero tolerance set on them and their numbers seemed to have increased. In a country where you can drive on a straight N road for miles and hardly see another vehicle 80kph does seem a bit low. I am wondering if the lower limit and the increased number of speed cameras is more a revenue generator than a safety thing. If its going to apply to all vehicles then its not so much of an issue I guess as the cameras will be set the same for all. Currently you can get flashed on a motorway or dual carriageway in a motorhome under 3.5tons if your under the limit as it thinks your a good vehicle. If the French do start sending fines to the UK I can see it getting messy if there is one rule for one and another rule for others.

Brilliant !

We can forget 6th gear on our 2 litre Renault.
increased pollution , increased fuel consumption.... !

Good to know France is in line with Norway and Switzerland.

They would never have done it of it was to bring them into line with U.K. laws.
Mind you, The Swiss and Norwegians did help them out in two world wars, didn't they ?

While The U.K. sat idly twiddling our thumbs.

On the plus side it means I can beat the traffic on the little scooter now as 90+ kph is about what it can do flat out. Most French cameras are front facing now. No number plate on the front. :Grinmacing_Face_Emo

emjaiuk;n9484 said:
Quite a few rear facing Barry!

malcolm

I was joking really. I seldom spend time flying down main roads. Prefer to be tootling round the backwaters than riding flat out down a main highway. Tiresome and boring on a bike really.

barryd;n9404 said:
... If the French do start sending fines to the UK I can see it getting messy...

Can't see that happening mate - especially after March 2019!

Graham
smile.gif

Not on this website,please,. This ones for serious motorhomers only.

I'm thinking of opening a new thread about plastic tyre valve caps.

Pauljenny;n9889 said:
Not on this website,please,. This ones for serious motorhomers only.

I'm thinking of opening a new thread about plastic tyre valve caps.

It was a serious point. There is little likelihood of it happening now let alone in the medium term.

Graham
smile.gif

C B A..:Sleeping_Emoji:

*****;n9297 said:
Beware Trev as without a central barrier that are still classed as a single carriage way. Lots of HGV Drivers were nicked on the A556 from Knutsford J19 on the M6 towards Manchester.

general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

***** is correct. The central barrier/reservation is crucial. For info, the Traffic Signs and General Directions legislation defines a "dual carriageway" as:
A road which comprises a central reservation and “all-purpose dual carriageway road” means a dual carriageway road which is not a motorway

It defines a "central reservation" as:
(a) any land between the carriageways of a road comprising two carriageways; or
(b) any permanent work (other than a traffic island) in the carriageway of a road,
which separates the carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway, which is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction.

Double while lines down the centre are not sufficient as they may be crossed in an emergency. So without a central reservation the road is a single carriageway where the lower limits apply. HTH

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back