gas where it gone

oldish hippy

gas where it gone

WAS SURE THAT I HAD MORE GAS ON BOARD THEN MY METER SHOWING ME WHEN I STARTED YETSRDAY MORNING IT WHERE CHILLY AND IT WAS RED {EMPTY} drove to where iwas going it was on green but not as much as i remember doe the weather affect gauges

Yes. Low temps. low reading-high temp high reading. There is still the same amount in the bottle, it just compresses as it gets colder and expands when it gets warmer hence the gauge shows differing levels.

well i never thought of that

when you think about it that is why bottles are only filled to 80%

barry

ok that was my thinking yes have had frozen gas and frozen coffee just wanted to clarify that because if i had a leak the amoung of time it been leaking then it wouldbe empty and i would have smelt it i think

Last edited:
i have 2 spare red calor bottles in the garden at my new home. should i wrap them up for the winter ?

Delicagirl;n9716 said:
i have 2 spare red calor bottles in the garden at my new home. should i wrap them up for the winter ?
what do you mean ?

Delicagirl;n9716 said:

Depends who you're giving them to, I'd just use a xmas gift tag. :wink:

As usual a lot of nonsense from people with a dangerously small amount of knowledge, the gauges on lpg are notoriously inaccurate, most motorhome systems have never had a proper gas test carried out on them and something most would not understand is that many appliances will actually have a small amount of leakage occurring when connected but still be working within safe limits.
Also any rubber lpg hoses will actually be slightly permeable so will over time allow a small amount of leakage.

As for expansion yes it is true that lpg expands something like 17 times more than water but the main reason for the gap in the cylinder is to allow the production of gas from the liquid which is under pressure as it boils off to produce vapour , the whole process requires latent heat which is absorbed through the cylinder walls, which is why different size cylinders have different off take rates . Put simply the larger the cylinder the more gas it is capable of producing per hour .

Last edited by a moderator:
Banned member;n9720 said:
As usual a lot of nonsense from people with a dangerously small amount of knowledge, the gauges on lpg are notoriously inaccurate, most motorhome systems have never had a proper gas test carried out on them and something most would not understand is that many appliances will actually have a small amount of leakage occurring when connected but still be working within safe limits.
Also any rubber lpg hoses will actually be slightly permeable so will over time allow a small amount of leakage.

As for expansion yes it is true that lpg expands something like 17 times more than water but the main reason for the gap in the cylinder is to allow the production of gas from the liquid which is under pressure as it boils off to produce vapour , the whole process requires latent heat which is absorbed through the cylinder walls, which is why different size cylinders have different take off rates . Put simply the larger the cylinder the more gas it is capable of producing per hour .

An excellent summary, Charlie.

Colin :smile::smile::smile:

Banned member;n9720 said:

As for expansion yes it is true that lpg expands something like 17 times more than water but the main reason for the gap in the cylinder is to allow the production of gas from the liquid which is under pressure as it boils off to produce vapour , the whole process requires latent heat which is absorbed through the cylinder walls, which is why different size cylinders have different off take rates . Put simply the larger the cylinder the more gas it is capable of producing per hour .

No matter what is asked someone with much more knowledge always comes along, great site.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back