Headlight bulbs

I've just had a look on the site David and I didn't realise that I had two head light bulb in each light is that correct and they say both mine are H4
I doubt it very much. H4 is a combination Dipped/Main bulb, but is really only used when the headlight housing has just the one bulb in it (ignoring side light bulb). I think you have the same Ducato as me with the big curvy lights? in which case it is one bulb for dipped on the outside and one bulb for main beam on the inside - and they will be an H1 and an H7.

I doubt it very much. H4 is a combination Dipped/Main bulb, but is really only used when the headlight housing has just the one bulb in it (ignoring side light bulb). I think you have the same Ducato as me with the big curvy lights? in which case it is one bulb for dipped on the outside and one bulb for main beam on the inside - and they will be an H1 and an H7.
I put my reg number in and it said H4 for both ? Mine is a 59 plate citroen relayScreenshot_20230415-132644_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I put my reg number in and it said H4 for both ? Mine is a 59 plate citroen relayView attachment 66797
That is very interesting.
If that is the case, then I would expect to see the following operation pattern ....
Turn on the Dipped Lights and you get both the inner and the outer bulbs light up. Then when you put on Main beam, you again get both inner and outer bulbs light up - but you actually lose the Dipped function. (the H4 bulb has both Dip AND Main in the one bulb, but only one should be active at any time). If you FLASH (as opposed to Main Beam), usually with an H4 bulb, both parts come on. stand in front of the van and get someone to turn lights on and off, switch to main from dipped and back, and do a flash and see what happens.

The Ducato (and I really would think any van using that same physical headlight) has the Dipped outside, and then when you put Main on, the Dipped outer stays on, and the Main inner comes on as well. The Flash will only work on the Main Inner I am sure.

I think that bulb info on the site is a typo for the Relay.

I read that as both beams are served from a single H4. Which as you say is a dual filament main/dipped beam bulb.
K ;)

I always buy my bulbs and wipers from Autobulbsdirect. I like their 20twenty (or other way round) range which are often canbus compliant, however on a previous Nissan XTrail they quoted the wrong bulbs (tail and brake) despite the correct registration and model description.
I find it best to physically check the old bulb before ordering.

Davy

I always buy my bulbs and wipers from Autobulbsdirect. I like their 20twenty (or other way round) range which are often canbus compliant, however on a previous Nissan XTrail they quoted the wrong bulbs (tail and brake) despite the correct registration and model description.
I find it best to physically check the old bulb before ordering.

Davy
Thanks Davy

I'll ring them on Monday David .
Good move. The Ducato/Relay/Boxer Headlight design is pretty good, especially for a van and by having separate bulbs for the two function rather than the dual-filament dual-purpose single bulb means they can have the lens design optimized in front of each bulb, which is why the lights are better than a shared lens. This is one reason why the VW T5 Caravelle headlight that I mentioned before, with two separate specific purpose bulbs, was so much better than the VW T5 "Commercial" headlight that used a single H4 bulb. (another being you could have both Dipped and Main active together with two bulbs, which is not possible with the normal H4 fitting, so you immediately get twice the power when using Main Beam and illuminate much more road).

MOT manual says:
"
Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."

Very confused by that site, my owners manual says H7 for both dipped and full/high beam. 2018 Citroen Relay.

Good move. The Ducato/Relay/Boxer Headlight design is pretty good, especially for a van and by having separate bulbs for the two function rather than the dual-filament dual-purpose single bulb means they can have the lens design optimized in front of each bulb, which is why the lights are better than a shared lens. This is one reason why the VW T5 Caravelle headlight that I mentioned before, with two separate specific purpose bulbs, was so much better than the VW T5 "Commercial" headlight that used a single H4 bulb. (another being you could have both Dipped and Main active together with two bulbs, which is not possible with the normal H4 fitting, so you immediately get twice the power when using Main Beam and illuminate much more road).
I spoke to them this morning David and they say that's the right bulbs for my van .

I've just had a look on the site David and I didn't realise that I had two head light bulb in each light is that correct and they say both mine are H4
I doubt you have 2 H4 in each unit, but I guess its possible. H4's have both dip and main beam in one bulb, others like H1 H7's are single element.

I also upgrade bulbs, one of the first things I do when getting a new motor. Any of the 100/150% upgrades from recognised manufacturer will do.

Only thing is, don't expect the upgrade bulbs to last as long.

Very confused by that site, my owners manual says H7 for both dipped and full/high beam. 2018 Citroen Relay.
Mine has H7's for both too, nothing unusual about that.

Always worth double checking especially as it's H7's and H1's on the Ducato.
Strange its different to auto bulbs site though.

Mine has H7's for both too, nothing unusual about that.

Always worth double checking especially as it's H7's and H1's on the Ducato.
Strange its different to auto bulbs site though.
the H7 and H1 mix for my Ducato is for the pre-facelift headlight style though. the 2018 has a different design so could well be two of the same type. (that would be good also as saves having to keep multiple spares to carry :) )

I spoke to them this morning David and they say that's the right bulbs for my van .
very interesting. Did you go out and check how the bulbs were working?
It is also possible as well that only one filament in each bulb is connected - so even though they are dual-filament, only one half is used (unusual, but perfectly doable).
I think something weird like that you get on the VW T5 IIRC on the back. The rear light and the fog lights share a bulb, so it is dual-filament. but the wiring loom only powers the off-side fog so you could have a fog light on the near-side working, and a bulb is fitted, but they did a RHD loom and a LHD loom, with a different wire missing off each. Most odd.

the H7 and H1 mix for my Ducato is for the pre-facelift headlight style though. the 2018 has a different design so could well be two of the same type. (that would be good also as saves having to keep multiple spares to carry :) )

very interesting. Did you go out and check how the bulbs were working?
It is also possible as well that only one filament in each bulb is connected - so even though they are dual-filament, only one half is used (unusual, but perfectly doable).
I think something weird like that you get on the VW T5 IIRC on the back. The rear light and the fog lights share a bulb, so it is dual-filament. but the wiring loom only powers the off-side fog so you could have a fog light on the near-side working, and a bulb is fitted, but they did a RHD loom and a LHD loom, with a different wire missing off each. Most odd.
Checked on autobulbs, H7 H1 mix for 2018 model too, even though manual says H7 for both.

Checked on autobulbs, H7 H1 mix for 2018 model too, even though manual says H7 for both.
I didn't check the actual bulbs, but when I had the headlight off my 2008 Ducato to access the wiring, I had a look and I can confirm that the Main and Dipped are NOT the same bulb (and neither are H4s).

I didn't check the actual bulbs, but when I had the headlight off my 2008 Ducato to access the wiring, I had a look and I can confirm that the Main and Dipped are NOT the same bulb (and neither are H4s).
I did go out and check the bulbs and your right David they are H7 and H1 so phoned up again and told them and now have change the order to the r8ght one thank god lol I also sanded the near side head light with first 1200 then 1500 and finally with 2000 wet and dry then used my polisher with G3 and it looks great again .

Last edited:
I did go out and check the bulbs and your right David they are H7 and H1 so phoned up again and told them and now have change the order to the r8ght one thank god lol I also sanded the near side head light with first 1200 then 1500 and finally with 2000 wet and dry then used my polisher with G3 and it looks great again .
Good stuff. It seem strange. (given the amount of vehicles these people have to deal with, it would be amazing if there was not any mistakes at all - you just don't want it to be for your vehicle though :D )

I did mine as you probably know but I think once the headlights are out to change the bulbs I will give it another final go as can get right into the corners when they are out and loose (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back