Hit by flying wheel hub, advice please

yogibear

Rally Organiser

The vehicle in front had a blow out. The hub flew off and hit the van causing damage. 1. Do we have recourse to the owner of the blow out vehicle and 2. Will the insurance company increase our premium if we claim? Thanks much appreciation for any advice given.

The vehicle in front had a blow out. The hub flew off and hit the van causing damage. 1. Do we have recourse to the owner of the blow out vehicle and 2. Will the insurance company increase our premium if we claim? Thanks much appreciation for any advice given.
1. If you can prove it. Got Dashcam footage maybe?
2. Almost certainly as you are making a claim. doesn't matter if it is a fault or a no-fault claim, a claim is a claim.

Balance how much damage can a wheeltrim do and cost to fix Vs increased premiums for multiple years (plus excess if end up using own insurer to pay for repairs)

Last edited:
1. If you can prove it. Got Dashcam footage maybe?
2. Almost certainly as you are making a claim. doesn't matter if it is a fault or a no-fault claim, a claim is a claim.

Balance how much damage can a wheeltrim do and cost to fix Vs increased premiums for multiple years (plus excess if end up using own insurer to pay for repairs)
Shan't claim, as it is only £192 which I could have found a better use for! No dash cam unfortunately!

A hub would be having the wheel attached as it came of the stub axle, cannot see it being a hub unless a front oil cover on the hub face plate.

A hub would be having the wheel attached as it came of the stub axle, cannot see it being a hub unless a front oil cover on the hub face plate.
It. Was the steel hub cap which covered the wheel nuts, it was on cars @ vans before wheel trims which are plastic replaced the chrome hub cap.

Sorry to hear about your problem, you've made the best decision, we had a no claim accident 4 years ago and the insurance companies still have it on their records.

It. Was the steel hub cap which covered the wheel nuts, it was on cars @ vans before wheel trims which are plastic replaced the chrome hub cap.
those looked better as well :) being metal, flying off could be quite bad (ask Philippe Massa and the loose nut from the car ahead that nearly killed him!)
I recall following a Lorry carrying wheels quite a few years ago. Didn't like the look of his load so kept a good distance back .... he hit a bump and one of the wheels just bounced up and away into the air. Could have been through my Windscreen!

those looked better as well :) being metal, flying off could be quite bad (ask Philippe Massa and the loose nut from the car ahead that nearly killed him!)
I recall following a Lorry carrying wheels quite a few years ago. Didn't like the look of his load so kept a good distance back .... he hit a bump and one of the wheels just bounced up and away into the air. Could have been through my Windscreen!
When at school a mate and his dad wen to england to buy a car, on the way back a long steel joist came of a lorry bounced on the road and came up through the car floor and through the mates dads chest killing him outright, my mate robin was never quite the same lad after that.

Then a few years back same happened my next door nabour, lucky it missed him as a steel rod came through the windsheild.

Have You asked the other party for some payment as if you did claim he'd lose his no claim now. there sitting back thinking we got away with that. If it had been my hub cap I'd have been offering to pay for any damage to you van

Last edited:
I've never thought before that it is also in their interests to offer a cash payment if they are clearly in the wrong.
Rather than it being a case of lets just both forget about it.
Have seen many posts were people have said they would not claim for less than £1000. Especially if you have other vehicles insured

Have You asked the other party for some payment as if you did claim he'd lose his no claim now. there sitting back thinking we got away with that. If it had been my hub cap I'd have been offering to pay for any damage to you van
Chances are he will have damage to his van which he would claim for, so why would he pay out a few hundred cash as well?

I collected a wheel barrow on the m11 ! Came off the back of a transit in front of me landed wheel down with handle facing me , two handles went thru the AA van radiator and I pushed it up the motorway until I could get on the hard shoulder ! Wish we had phones with cameras in them days 🤣

I collected a wheel barrow on the m11 ! Came off the back of a transit in front of me landed wheel down with handle facing me , two handles went thru the AA van radiator and I pushed it up the motorway until I could get on the hard shoulder ! Wish we had phones with cameras in them days 🤣

Are you sure it wasn’t one of trevs Skodas? I heard they came with handles on the back for pushing them. As an option you could get a heated rear screen for keeping your hands warm as you pushed the car. :devilish:

Sorry Trev, couldn’t resist it. ;)

Davy (former Skoda and Lada owner)

Are you sure it wasn’t one of trevs Skodas? I heard they came with handles on the back for pushing them. As an option you could get a heated rear screen for keeping your hands warm as you pushed the car. :devilish:

Sorry Trev, couldn’t resist it. ;)

Davy (former Skoda and Lada owner)
Not my thread you answered to, specsavers for you monday morning. 😂

Chances are he will have damage to his van which he would claim for, so why would he pay out a few hundred cash as well?
I messaged him, so far 'delivered' but not read. His wheel was a mangled mess. He had a very swanky Rolex on and is a local farmer with businesses. Don't think he's short of cash, just depends if he's a gentleman or not

I messaged him, so far 'delivered' but not read. His wheel was a mangled mess. He had a very swanky Rolex on and is a local farmer with businesses. Don't think he's short of cash, just depends if he's a gentleman or not
Not saying he wouldn't pay. I was suggesting it could be more likely he will just give you his insurance details, which is perfectly fine to do even for a gentleman - especially as I bet he will have a single policy for all his vehicles and just use that.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back