How to keep cool in your Motorhome?

I would have thought that opening the hob door would warm the Moho up, Neil. Surely you mean the 'fridge door?

Colin :):):)

Ha ha Colin, I had predictive text/Autocorrect it is always catching me out. I always regret not learning to touch type years ago :(

I meant it to say HAB door not hob (or fridge) although seeing how well our compressor fridge (koff, koff) has been working through the hot weather it may be worth cutting through into freezer compartment and fitting a fan to blow freezing air out :)

Just recently in France I clipped a Space blanket across two windows so I could keep them open but prevent the sun shining through. Worked a treat, the van side covered by the blanket was much cooler than that exposed as were the windows. You need to use the space blanket the right way round so this meant the gold side was to the van.

Just recently in France I clipped a Space blanket across two windows so I could keep them open but prevent the sun shining through. Worked a treat, the van side covered by the blanket was much cooler than that exposed as were the windows. You need to use the space blanket the right way round so this meant the gold side was to the van.
I use an external Silver Screen, reflects the sun before it gets into the van from the windscreen and front windows.
Also works to keep the van warm in winter
BUT I haven't been able to see where I am going!

I use an external Silver Screen, reflects the sun before it gets into the van from the windscreen and front windows.
Also works to keep the van warm in winter
BUT I haven't been able to see where I am going!
The space blanket was used in conjunction with my external silverscreen, I used the space blanket on the side windows.

We bought an air con unit at a show called Transcool, basically you fill the unit with cold water and ice cubes and a fan sucks in air at the back and blows cold out through two vents at the front. It's ok if your sat 5/6ft of it, but it never cooled the van down at all when we were in Spain even with the blinds and doors shut,supposed to cool a 7mtr motorhome. But alas no. use two standard fans now.
I did the same as you ,got one at a show last year.........what a con or should I say what an air con.a waste of money,don't buy one if you see them walk away!

We had an aircon unit when we acquired the van 5 years ago. Had to be on EHU to use it and not very noisy, but found we hardly used it.
I decided that it was 36 kg. that I didn't need on the roof and replaced it with an opaque fan vent. This had the advantage of greatly improving the light level in our rear kitchen area, and can also be used as an extractor. We find that keeping the screen cover on, awning legs on clips on van skirt and the awning out just enough to keep the sun off the side of the van, roof vents lifted does the trick. I used to try to get parked in the shade under trees, but getting the drops of resin off the roof and solar panels is a pain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back