How to sell my motorhome.

sydnsue

I am selling my motorhome with Motorhome Marketplace at £57k and they include one year warranty and finance if required, but they have had it for several weeks. The alternative is to sell privately at £54k but no warranty or finance available. I thought buyers would be attracted by the warranty as it is a lot of money but maybe not. What have other members on here found when selling?

I've always sold on Ebay but my max was £25k, £30 for a month, just take good pictures and write a decent description highlighting the vans good points and playing down any negatives, It's coming into the season now so it'll sell well I expect.

I had never heard of them, so had a look, it says "award winning" but I saw none, it says "extensive advertising" I picked two at random and neither were on eBay.

Last edited:
I had a similar dilemma a few years ago, did ebay, auto trader, gumtree and FB. That tried my patience, had one guy tell me it was 20k over priced then asked does it have pop out sides ? He hadn't a clue what he was buying, another stated you are close to dealers prices, I replied go to the dealer then, his reply was yours has a far greater spec. I told him you have just answered my next reply and hung up. I can hear the grumbling already, I finally used motorhome depot, agreed my price let them sell for what they want and pick out the serious buyers. My understanding was Neil had a few on his books looking for the particular model I had, two views back to back sold within the week and money in my account before it left here.

I had a similar dilemma a few years ago, did ebay, auto trader, gumtree and FB. That tried my patience, had one guy tell me it was 20k over priced then asked does it have pop out sides ? He hadn't a clue what he was buying, another stated you are close to dealers prices, I replied go to the dealer then, his reply was yours has a far greater spec. I told him you have just answered my next reply and hung up. I can hear the grumbling already, I finally used motorhome depot, agreed my price let them sell for what they want and pick out the serious buyers. My understanding was Neil had a few on his books looking for the particular model I had, two views back to back sold within the week and money in my account before it left here.
I used Motorhome Depot to sell my last motorhome but they wanted £4,000 commission and no warranty. It made the selling price high so it took time. Marketplace only take £3k commission but still having difficulty.

Brokers have to make money out of your vehicle, so it's going to increase the price making it less saleable, I've used Motorhome depot twice once buying and once selling neither were pleasant experiences, it's just easier to do it myself, at worst it slightly annoying when people don't read the ad that I take a lot of time over and mention it all.

I've bought three and sold two with Motorhome Department in Telford (NOT Motorhome Depot). Of course all dealers want a commission - that's just how it works.

Brokers have to make money out of your vehicle, so it's going to increase the price making it less saleable, I've used Motorhome depot twice once buying and once selling neither were pleasant experiences, it's just easier to do it myself, at worst it slightly annoying when people don't read the ad that I take a lot of time over and mention it all.
I understand that but I'm trying to decide if it will be easier to sell it myself, hence my original post.

It isn't easier as you have to do it all, it isn't exactly difficult though, you do save money and have control over it all, and if you are not happy with the ad you've written you can re-word it add or remove picture any time you like, I always include a couple of pictures taken while on holiday to promote the get away when you like feeling for people viewing the ad.

It isn't easier as you have to do it all, it isn't exactly difficult though, you do save money and have control over it all, and if you are not happy with the ad you've written you can re-word it add or remove picture any time you like, I always include a couple of pictures taken while on holiday to promote the get away when you like feeling for people viewing the ad.
Good idea with the holiday pics:D

next time I sell a vehicle, probably use Auto trader or eBay, and what I would try is using AI to reword my boring description into a much more engaging one :)

I used AI for a few last week, and saved them as a draught, then tried my own wording, 50/50 really as I tend to look at others ads for the same item and borrow sections, I like a good Plague.

Not sure it would be any good for Moho sales as it looks at other ads to make a new one and they are all different in some way.

Last edited:
How many do you want :D :D

None at the moment, will be flogging this one after France perhaps, I fancy a PVC (overcoat) next, but very few have a rear lounge with two singles and a proper kitchen and bathroom.

I always have a few items listed, I buy and sell just to make a few bob, some stuff off Temu sells really well on ebay so I buy 10 of them, actually I need some stock as I've sold them all.

I don't use eBay for much except got a long-standing listing (around 2 years now?) for helicopters :D down to my last 10-15 now :)
Got my business on-line shop of course, which is world-wide (recently shipped to New Zealand and Slovenia and enquiries from Finland and USA).

Is Ebay a good place to sell?
Ignorance as far as what to buy, and what faults to look for was easier before but it cost money to fix the ignorance so Ebay for buying is out for me probably

I am selling my motorhome with Motorhome Marketplace at £57k and they include one year warranty and finance if required, but they have had it for several weeks. The alternative is to sell privately at £54k but no warranty or finance available. I thought buyers would be attracted by the warranty as it is a lot of money but maybe not. What have other members on here found when selling?
Sorry just jumped on your post with a question of my own

To judge ebay for selling, search for something, then look for competed sold listings in the advanced bit.

1710422714998.png

Is Ebay a good place to sell?
Ignorance as far as what to buy, and what faults to look for was easier before but it cost money to fix the ignorance so Ebay for buying is out for me probably
Not sure if I would BUY a £50k plus motorhome from eBay?

I've only had 5 vans in total...
1st Bought from Autotrader, sold via Forum
2nd Bought from Forum, sold via Forum
3rd Bought from Autotrader, sold via Forum
4th Bought from Autotrader, sold via eBay
5th Bought from Autotrader, still own
none have come with any warranty and all sold with no warranty. Caveat emptor

Martin got a good deal on ours from a company near Winchester - he's digging in his grey cells to find the name.
PS he thinks it was Winchester Caravans

Last edited:
Ebay is fine I think, there are scams everywhere even on Autotrader, the thing is if you don't give them any money they can't scam you, I always do a vehicle check for a few quid via this app https://www.carcheck.co.uk/, also at the free site https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
and then you pay when the keys and the van are in front of you, some places will do a physical check if you're not confident to do your own, other than the app I have and always will do my own checks, I trust my own opinion more than a paid one, have had and repaired so many vans in the past.

I prefer to buy privately as no dealers profit to pay, and you get more info on the van and kit too sometimes but have found some dealers who want to deal on a van with problems I'm up to fixing, so I can add value, use it for the season then sell at a good profit, and I have had a good hobby from it.

Ebay is fine I think, there are scams everywhere even on Autotrader, the thing is if you don't give them any money they can't scam you, I always do a vehicle check for a few quid via this app https://www.carcheck.co.uk/, also at the free site https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
and then you pay when the keys and the van are in front of you, some places will do a physical check if you're not confident to do your own, other than the app I have and always will do my own checks, I trust my own opinion more than a paid one, have had and repaired so many vans in the past.

I prefer to buy privately as no dealers profit to pay, and you get more info on the van and kit too sometimes but have found some dealers who want to deal on a van with problems I'm up to fixing, so I can add value, use it for the season then sell at a good profit, and I have had a good hobby from it.
Knew you were a Arthur Daily. 😂
Always did the same, some times dealers will sell you the round the back stuff< no warrenty> with a fault<clutch fooked etc> at a very much reduced price.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back