How to sell my motorhome.

It was the only way we could afford to get into the newer nicer to drive stuff but it took 12 vans, 2.8Jtds were okay but the >06 stuff is so much better, shame they teched it up too far.

Ebay is fine I think, there are scams everywhere even on Autotrader, the thing is if you don't give them any money they can't scam you, I always do a vehicle check for a few quid via this app https://www.carcheck.co.uk/, also at the free site https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Kev, something be be aware of (you may be already, but others might not) is that the money guarantee offered by the checking services like carcheck and the like are usually only applicable if you do the check when physically with the vehicle and the V5C Logbook. If you do it remotely and any info reported turns out to be incorrect, you have no comeback.

and then you pay when the keys and the van are in front of you, some places will do a physical check if you're not confident to do your own, other than the app I have and always will do my own checks, I trust my own opinion more than a paid one, have had and repaired so many vans in the past.

I prefer to buy privately as no dealers profit to pay, and you get more info on the van and kit too sometimes but have found some dealers who want to deal on a van with problems I'm up to fixing, so I can add value, use it for the season then sell at a good profit, and I have had a good hobby from it.

I have no luck selling privately. Took me 16 months to sell my Autosleeper, got a good price in the end but 6 weeks later Covid lockdowns hit and I could have got an awful lot more 3 months later when the prices skyrocketed.
Last year, the second people to view liked my van so much they gave me £500 deposit and said they would come back to collect the next week, but then asked for their deposit back as they couldn't proceed with the purchase due to "personal reasons". So I spent another 3 months not going anywhere whilst every weekend I had one or two viewings but no sale. So I gave up.

I am selling my motorhome with Motorhome Marketplace at £57k and they include one year warranty and finance if required, but they have had it for several weeks. The alternative is to sell privately at £54k but no warranty or finance available. I thought buyers would be attracted by the warranty as it is a lot of money but maybe not. What have other members on here found when selling?
I sold mine recently on FB MARKE T place, sold within a week no charges and very little hassle for less money than yours but I thought it all very easy

I have no luck selling privately. Took me 16 months to sell my Autosleeper, got a good price in the end but 6 weeks later Covid lockdowns hit and I could have got an awful lot more 3 months later when the prices skyrocketed.
Last year, the second people to view liked my van so much they gave me £500 deposit and said they would come back to collect the next week, but then asked for their deposit back as they couldn't proceed with the purchase due to "personal reasons". So I spent another 3 months not going anywhere whilst every weekend I had one or two viewings but no sale. So I gave up.
You dont hand back deposits, there los if they cannot fund the goods, when i was selling cars i put it in wrighting and made the sign.

You dont hand back deposits, there los if they cannot fund the goods, when i was selling cars i put it in wrighting and made the sign.
you can't just keep a deposit regardless, Trev, whether you put it in writing or not. If you have suffered a loss - maybe turned down other offers as the vehicle was reserved, ok, but not a wholesale 'tough luck' stance.

you can't just keep a deposit regardless, Trev, whether you put it in writing or not. If you have suffered a loss - maybe turned down other offers as the vehicle was reserved, ok, but not a wholesale 'tough luck' stance.
They do here, esp in the m trade & by law.deposit.jpg

Last edited:
They do here, esp in the m trade & by law.View attachment 71862

Businesses can keep your deposit or advance payments, or ask you to pay a cancellation charge, only in certain circumstances​

If you cancel the contract, the business is generally only entitled to keep or receive an amount sufficient to cover their actual losses that directly result from your cancellation (eg costs already incurred or loss of profit).

Businesses must take reasonable steps to reduce their losses (eg by re-selling the goods or services).

Businesses can keep your deposit or advance payments, or ask you to pay a cancellation charge, only in certain circumstances​

If you cancel the contract, the business is generally only entitled to keep or receive an amount sufficient to cover their actual losses that directly result from your cancellation (eg costs already incurred or loss of profit).

Businesses must take reasonable steps to reduce their losses (eg by re-selling the goods or services).
Read above post as in the m trade, you have no mission here for sure.

Read above post as in the m trade, you have no mission here for sure.
Trev, I have twice paid a deposit for vehicles I have not ultimately bought. Guess if I got them back? ;)

PS. you didn't post a statement, you posted a picture. Show me a LINK to a legal source stating your claim.

PPS. I am not saying you HAVE to return a deposit, but you need to have a reason why not, not some "it's in writing" nonsense.
My last camper was wanted by someone who paid a deposit but was unable unfortunately to complete the sale. I did keep some of the deposit, but I did so for a reason... because they delayed the ultimate decision - and I had withdrawn in from other interested parties - I had to take out another period of insurance which I would not have needed to do if the agreed sale had gone through, so it was fair enough IMO to recover that lost cost.

Last edited:
Trev, I have twice paid a deposit for vehicles I have not ultimately bought. Guess if I got them back? ;)

PS. you didn't post a statement, you posted a picture. Show me a LINK to a legal source stating your claim.

PPS. I am not saying you HAVE to return a deposit, but you need to have a reason why not, not some "it's in writing" nonsense.
My last camper was wanted by someone who paid a deposit but was unable unfortunately to complete the sale. I did keep some of the deposit, but I did so for a reason... because they delayed the ultimate decision - and I had withdrawn in from other interested parties - I had to take out another period of insurance which I would not have needed to do if the agreed sale had gone through, so it was fair enough IMO to recover that lost cost.
You can read all the legal terms on the net, all biz keeps the deposit if for any reason you dont compleat the deal, trading standards also have a post on the rules.
However i also found this which seeems to contradict other legal posts.legal deposits.jpg

There you go.

"All biz keep the deposit"? Talking rubbish.

I always wrote non refundable into my sales descriptions for eBay, I didn't take big deposits £100-200 just to stop folk messing about, I only kept one as the man looking at it told me when he left it that he was looking at two other van at the weekend, I told him I couldn't keep it as I had other people arranged to look at it so I told him if he wanted it I'd need £200 deposit and it would not be refunded as I would have to put the other people off coming to view and lose out if he changed his mind, I think that is fair enough, on the sales contract I have provision to subtract any deposit I'd taken when I sold a van.

This is one for a van I sold in 2017 I've edited out some personal details

1710924886504.png

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back