Intermittent D+signal

Timvlou

Free Member

Hi im having trouble.. Motorhome is hardly ever switching to 12volts whilst running so no 12v fridge or auto sat retracting.. Strangely the step is still retracting. Please point me in the right direction only if you actually have experience of this issue. Fait ducato 3.0 swift kontiki Black edition 2015

16420394745594625469560215754122.jpg16420395162696411104970637321287.jpg

D+ signal comes from alternator when it’s spinning I.e engine running

if step retracts every time engine starts then step must be seeing the D+ From the alternator so if fridge etc intermittent then I would suspect intermittent connection in the wiring if you can’t find the fault Perhaps provide a wire from fridge to step to use the steps D+ ?

Not sure if this will be of any help to you but it does give the pin-out and may make testing a bit easier if it is applicable to your van (colours don't seem to tally).

Last edited:
Does step retract on engine start or ignition on? (D+ = engine running, KEY+/IGN+ is when ignition is on)
How did the satellite retract before - engine running or ignition on?

(There is a difference and an extra step if D+ which makes a difference to troubleshooting)

If they all retracted etc at the same (whether D+ or IGN/KEY) its likely not a van issue its an issue - its likely a wiring issue or fuse issue in the habitation somewhere, probably hidden away.

(We use a same D+ signal for auto step, battery to battery, and other bits n bobs - it will be the same signal used for all the connections)

Looking at your converters socket wiring, they have 2x red wires from the D+ so I'd *guess* your retract is on engine start . Odd they are taking 2x feeds as that' require 2x relay setups - unless they interface to something that knows D+ is 0v?

Afraid no knowledge of your conversion but would need some wire tracing to see what is where - but could be something quite simple - but you'd need to trace the wires and see what they connect to - and get a meter out and see if you are getting signals at each point. Probably trivial - but almost certainly not a van problem, so don't worry about engine/battery etc

Last edited:
D+ signal comes from alternator when it’s spinning I.e engine running

if step retracts every time engine starts then step must be seeing the D+ From the alternator so if fridge etc intermittent then I would suspect intermittent connection in the wiring if you can’t find the fault Perhaps provide a wire from fridge to step to use the steps D+ ?

No it doesn't on the sevel vans, D+ is actually 0v on engine running generated by the ECU sending a pin to earth (and only if there is a minior current draw on that pin). On Sevel you have to use the D+ 0v signal to earth a relay to reverse the voltage to get a "standard" 12v D+.

Is your ignition light constant or does it flicker

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back