Irish Passport

mariesnowgoose

Sitting at home feeling sorry for myself with a blasted bug that won't seem to shift itself, so I've decided to actually get round to starting the process of applying for an Irish passport based on grandfather's rights.

I might be old and knackered, but I'm still breathing(!) so I figure I might possibly live long enough to actually get some use out of such a passport.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a go at contacting the relevant Irish authorities to obtain an official copy of my grandad's birth certificate, which is the first and most important bit of paperwork needed to kickstart the application process. Based on the info they (hopefully!) give me over the phone tomorrow (ran into problems with the online forms, wouldn't process the payment 🤷‍♀️ ), and if the process can be speeded up in any way by visiting "official" offices in person, then a camper trip to Ireland might very much be on the cards in the next few weeks. I'm wanting to go over to Ireland anyway as there is a special garden I would like to visit to the west of Dublin 👍🌸🥀

I do already have a photocopy of my grandfather's birth certificate which is hopefully a good start 🤞

Maurice Flynn, born 22nd August 1879 in Kilbonane.
Birth registered in the district of Milltown in the Union of Killarney in the County of Kerry.
Father: John Flynn
Mother: Kate (née Cashman)

Any advice any of you can give on this whole process please feel free to give it out! 🙏

Wish me luck! ;)🤞

Grandads Birth Certificate photocopy.jpg

i have my passport started the process during covid so it got cancelled restarted it about 18 months ago and it went through relatively easily , i had no paperwork but starting from when my dad died i obtained a copy of his death certificate with that i was able to obtain a birth certificate and after that it was pretty straightforward, sam scotias wife christina advised me that when they asked if your an irish citizen assume you are & say yes on the form, it came through pretty quickly in the end once everything had been accepted best of luck & as you say any excuse for a trip over there

And where or who is going to be looking for the passports, there is no border checkpoints since the ceasfire, in fact no real ones since the sixties.

And where or who is going to be looking for the passports, there is no border checkpoints since the ceasfire, in fact no real ones since the sixties.

Silly billy! The passport is to make for easier entry to and from Europe, not Ireland (north or south). :cool:

I am aware that we have a reciprocal agreement with southern Ireland which doesn't restrict travel, living/working there etc. etc. 👍

Silly billy! The passport is to make for easier entry to and from Europe, not Ireland (north or south). :cool:

I am aware that we have a reciprocal agreement with southern Ireland which doesn't restrict travel, living/working there etc. etc. 👍
Ok mixed up, but you did say on a post a trip here, make sure you bring biscuits, terry/runnagh knows which brand. 😂

Donegal is best by miles if into things like nat park folk village and good food, not forgetting quiet seaside stops.
WE do have some good stuff in N iron,ulster folk park, museams, seal rescue explorus, newcastle and tullymore park, castlewellan park.
One i was at not far is carrick castle followed by Dunluce near portrush. :)

Donegal is best by miles if into things like nat park folk village and good food, not forgetting quiet seaside stops.
WE do have some good stuff in N iron,ulster folk park, museams, seal rescue explorus, newcastle and tullymore park, castlewellan park.
One i was at not far is carrick castle followed by Dunluce near portrush. :)
I would head to the West personally.
Kerry, Mayo and Galway are my favourites. The Midlands are pretty boring, the space in-between Kerry and Mayo (basically Clare?) is desolate and be a lot better off in NI than visiting Donegal I would say.

And of course, as a UK Citizen you don't need ANY passport at all to visit the Republic of Ireland, just some proof of ID such as a driving license (or maybe even a bus pass?). Irish one handy for Europe though :) ignoring getting round the 90 day rule, you can go through the fast-pass queues.

Last edited:
I would head to the West personally.
Kerry, Mayo and Galway are my favourites. The Midlands are pretty boring, the space in-between Kerry and Mayo (basically Clare?) is desolate and be a lot better off in NI than visiting Donegal I would say.

And of course, as a UK Citizen you don't need ANY passport at all to visit the Republic of Ireland, just some proof of ID such as a driving license (or maybe even a bus pass?). Irish one handy for Europe though :) ignoring getting round the 90 day rule, you can go through the fast-pass queues.
Galway and up is best, but many folk just go round the wild atlantic way and mis many good things of the beaten track like Glencolmkil, national park near letterkenny, not forgetting the butterfly garden, doe castle, dunree fort and ards friery which has a very good cafe and beach path walk.

Is there anyone with an Irish passport willing to adopt me?
I’m now fully housetrained. And leave little mess.
Apparently hideous MIL’s don’t count. Shame really, considering the amount of years I put up with that harridan

Is there anyone with an Irish passport willing to adopt me?
I’m now fully housetrained. And leave little mess.
Apparently hideous MIL’s don’t count. Shame really, considering the amount of years I put up with that harridan
Shouldn't Harry Dan be your FIL, Del, rather than your MIL, or am I too traditionalist ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I’d written a reply to this. Then deleted it. It’s neither big or clever to speak ill of the dead. Even if it’s true 😬
I do know that when I pop my clogs, she’ll be waiting for me.

I’d written a reply to this. Then deleted it. It’s neither big or clever to speak ill of the dead. Even if it’s true 😬
I do know that when I pop my clogs, she’ll be waiting for me.
All that will be waiting for me is the ash bin after the cremation, though Elaine may decide to hold off the final act, in the hope that energy prices might fall and the funeral costs become cheaper ... And she does have a penchant for hanging on to things that no longer work ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Might be repurposed as an Egg Timer, who can say?

Steve

Back