Isle of Wight ferry prices,

GWAYGWAY

My wife said she might like to visit the Isle of Wight, so I set to to find how much to get there on the ferry. The webpages are a nightmare of irrelevant information and require booking a ferry time and date until getting a fare structure. I now appears that whilst the place appears to be nice the cost of going to it is horrific £ could se an off peak time ticket of £108 EACH WAY for a distance a rifle could fire over to. How the hell do the people who live there manage to. Do so? I guess for the cost of £200+ they can keep the place, I can drive up to Scotland again and back for that money.
I wanted to find out the cost to Ireland instead and after more website bullsxxt find they are £200+ each way on late or early sailings so per mile it is better than IOW it is still out of range especially driving across the wild of Wales to get to a port

Welcome ,or maybe not , to the pirate ferry 🏴‍☠️ companies that I belive still hold the record for the most expensive stretch of water in the world.
The best way is through the camc club where you can get some good discounts and use the timetable to see the cheapest times.
And no we don't get resident dealsI and I'm paying £184 return for 16 days end of October.

Welcome ,or maybe not , to the pirate ferry 🏴‍☠️ companies that I belive still hold the record for the most expensive stretch of water in the world.
The best way is through the camc club where you can get some good discounts and use the timetable to see the cheapest times.
And no we don't get resident dealsI and I'm paying £184 return for 16 days end of October.
Steam Racket, sorry Steam Packet are one of the challengers for that title during the two IOM TT Race weeks, in 2019 it cost us nearly £400.00 for two people on a motorbike 🤔

Regards,
Del

Funnily enough I also thought about going this week and looked for the 25% discount offered by Redfunnel. Entered all the details and web site said ‘add code for discount’ but couldn’t find the code anywhere! Would have cost me £176 for a camper van so like you, decided was just too expensive. Incidentally pitchup was offering very competitive camping rates!

Funnily enough I also thought about going this week and looked for the 25% discount offered by Redfunnel. Entered all the details and web site said ‘add code for discount’ but couldn’t find the code anywhere! Would have cost me £176 for a camper van so like you, decided was just too expensive. Incidentally pitchup was offering very competitive camping rates!
Isn't that £176 including site fees as well though ?

I paid £135 for return motorhome crossings in May this year on Wighthink from Portsmouth. 50% discount booking through the Caravan and Motorhome Club. One CL site was offering discounted ferry crossings but the C&MC booking was still the cheapest. Well worth the cost for a couple of weeks that we thoroughly enjoyed.

I knew a Red Funnel Director some years back and he said the expensive part of running ferries is the loading/unloading and port charges. The bit at sea involves very few people and they make money out of the onboard trading whilst on the move. The shorter crossings inevitably cost more per mile. For us in the South the cost of the crossing and diesel is less than the cost of diesel alone for a return trip to Scotland.

p.s. the ferry cost was for a 6.99 metre motorhome.

Hi All
Wellcome to our world, we live here and have to add on these ferry costs everytime we wish to go away in the MH
It may come as a shock but often the best deals are those offered to tourists that includes either accommodation or a campsite and are cheaper than travel only for local residents
Best advice is always compare both companies, book as far in advance as possible and consider travelling late or very early
We run a small Airbnb and it is embarrassing to us to see the ferry charges that our guests have paid
PS try to avoid travelling to/ from IOW if there is a large event on eg music festival or scooter rally

Hi All
Wellcome to our world, we live here and have to add on these ferry costs everytime we wish to go away in the MH
It may come as a shock but often the best deals are those offered to tourists that includes either accommodation or a campsite and are cheaper than travel only for local residents
Best advice is always compare both companies, book as far in advance as possible and consider travelling late or very early
We run a small Airbnb and it is embarrassing to us to see the ferry charges that our guests have paid
PS try to avoid travelling to/ from IOW if there is a large event on eg music festival or scooter rally
Hello fellow wighter.
Yup and it's no wonder that it seems quieter this year re visitors. I often get told it must be cheaper for you locals ....if only.

Used to get reduced ferry rates as a resident in the 80's but guess that's long since changed. Sandbanks ferry to Studland is £5.20 each way, so I think that must rival IOW for cost per meter if sea crossed!

My wife said she might like to visit the Isle of Wight, so I set to to find how much to get there on the ferry. The webpages are a nightmare of irrelevant information and require booking a ferry time and date until getting a fare structure. I now appears that whilst the place appears to be nice the cost of going to it is horrific £ could se an off peak time ticket of £108 EACH WAY for a distance a rifle could fire over to. How the hell do the people who live there manage to. Do so? I guess for the cost of £200+ they can keep the place, I can drive up to Scotland again and back for that money.
I wanted to find out the cost to Ireland instead and after more website bullsxxt find they are £200+ each way on late or early sailings so per mile it is better than IOW it is still out of range especially driving across the wild of Wales to get to a port
Try Freight ferry’s Liverpool , if your in no rush 8hrs , but you get a private on suite cabin , with fresh cooked dinner and breakfast , get your head down while you travel , only take Motorhomes - no cars or caravans and only 12 passengers per sailing - fantastic , we booked outward to Ireland 2 years ago then booked the return trip 2days before we wanted to come back !👍

Hello fellow wighter.
Yup and it's no wonder that it seems quieter this year re visitors. I often get told it must be cheaper for you locals ....if only.
There is some kind of pass you can get to give a discount for 'frequent flyers' as it were, isn't there?

Been a long time now, but in the 80's, I always used to go for the Lymington Crossing to go to the IOW - Used to go occasionally for service calls on IT kit (used to look foward to those calls ... nice day out to the New Forest and then over the water and only ever one call to have to do that day :) ).
Can't quite remember what route I took went I went on holiday to the IOW around 20 years ago - I think Portsmouth maybe? - but that was taking the car.

There is some kind of pass you can get to give a discount for 'frequent flyers' as it were, isn't there?

Been a long time now, but in the 80's, I always used to go for the Lymington Crossing to go to the IOW - Used to go occasionally for service calls on IT kit (used to look foward to those calls ... nice day out to the New Forest and then over the water and only ever one call to have to do that day :) ).
Can't quite remember what route I took went I went on holiday to the IOW around 20 years ago - I think Portsmouth maybe? - but that was taking the car.
I am not sure to be honest if moho would have that. I know foot passengers can get a slight discount if bought x amount tickets or months.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back