Led lights

Campervanannie

Led lights

I recently changed all the bulbs in my MH to led and less than 2 months later they are flickering and some of the LEDs have died example a bulb that was 15 LEDs is now about 10 all bought from Amazon not the cheapest but not the dearest either anyone have any recommendations of some good long lasting led bulbs the kind with the two prongs I cannot post pics as this daft site won't let me.

If you are going to fit cheap leds most probably they are unregulated and are rated at 12v . Your van kicks out 14+volts which eventually kills the bulbs. Either fit a regulator to the light circuit or buy dearer bulbs.

Is there a branded make that I should be buying

Campervanannie;n9931 said:
I recently changed all the bulbs in my MH to led and less than 2 months later they are flickering and some of the LEDs have died example a bulb that was 15 LEDs is now about 10 all bought from Amazon not the cheapest but not the dearest either anyone have any recommendations of some good long lasting led bulbs the kind with the two prongs I cannot post pics as this daft site won't let me.

This site is brilliant for posting pics. Just click on the clip next to the A when posting, then on uploadattachment that appears. Select you pic and when uploaded its size, medium or large seem to work well.

Edited to add, my van was built six years ago and all the leds still work fine, so it must be a bulb problem that you have it's not something that all leds in vans do.

Last edited:
2cv;n9981 said:
This site is brilliant for posting pics. Just click on the clip next to the A when posting, then on uploadattachment that appears. Select you pic and when uploaded its size, medium or large seem to work well.

Edited to add, my van was built six years ago and all the leds still work fine, so it must be a bulb problem that you have it's not something that all leds in vans do.

I can load pictures but every so often you get one that says it’s too big it’s usually one that only has one or two colours in it and says it’s to big but all are taken on my iPhone.

hi

i would get back onto amazon as they should not go wrong like that

barry

powerplus;n10014 said:
hi

i would get back onto amazon as they should not go wrong like that

barry

As soon as I get suitable replacements I will send the lot back.

I bought most of mine from Aldi, they have been in about 30 months and none have failed so far.

All mine have come from eBay, hardly any failures and I have still spent far less than I might had I gone to a UK supplier. The most difficult I find are the T10 type because dimensions are not well specified

Cookies;n9953 said:
If you are going to fit cheap leds most probably they are unregulated and are rated at 12v . Your van kicks out 14+volts which eventually kills the bulbs. Either fit a regulator to the light circuit or buy dearer bulbs.

Hows that when the engine is not running,more like 12.7

Campervanannie;n9975 said:
Is there a branded make that I should be buying

Any from ebay china which are for cars as they have a wide range on voltage,make sure there smd led units,what fitting have you got.
Amazon get them im sure from china as do all others.

trevskoda;n10040 said:
Any from ebay china which are for cars as they have a wide range on voltage,make sure there smd led units,what fitting have you got.
Amazon get them im sure from china as do all others.

It's the ones with the two steel pins that slot into two tiny holes.

Big prob is most car bulbs are pure whit though some have a remote colour changer,better to buy soft led units and solder or wire in,if you have a cover then use yellow headlamp paint to soften the white light.
Here are some t 10 & 1156 tail single pin bulbs at around 2 for a £1,some t 10 units are 10 for one pound.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(3).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(3).png
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(2).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(2).png
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(1).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay(1).png
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay.png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 t 10 led bulbs eBay.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay(1).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay(1).png
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay.png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
I also replaced the habitation filament bulbs to led bulbs to my MH. When the outside door lights started to fail I looked in to led bulbs and found as the previous comment that they are very susceptible to voltage variation. As stated there are two types, regulated and unregulated. If they have a small circuit board on them they are probably regulated but can still be affected by large variations in voltage which can be caused by damp and or loose connections plus any from China is basically playing hit or miss with quality.

I've been lucky with ebay led purchases so far, but if you want reassurance and certainty Aten Lighting come highly recommended. mail order or they are at all the shows.

Malcolm

Ebay from China worked for me. I do see a slight flicker when on EHU but off grid the light is steady. Soft white for room lighting but ice white for reading lights and in bathroom.

K :Sunglasses_Emoji:

8E3379F3-0319-4175-999A-AABBCF8129A8.jpegThis is what the bulbs look like now we’re 24 now 15 lol

its these you want annie in soft white,the long tube type are £6 for 10 flat type are a we bit more,no for tube type is 162172033946

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay.png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay(1).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay(1).png
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay(2).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 12 v led bulbs with pins eBay(2).png
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back