Leisure battery depleted

Yorky

Free Member

Hi, I have an Auto-Trail T670. The van has a solar panel on the roof that charges both vehicle and leisure battery. The leisure battery level is now showing almost discharged on the van's control panel and is flashing and alarming when selected. The solar charger unit indicated a steady LED light this evening before dusk for the vehicle battery, but the other LED for the leisure battery was off. Normally they both flash when charging. The batteries are both 6 years old. I suspect the leisure battery is past its useful life. My question is; how complicated is it to change the leisure battery? Does the solar charger need to be isolated and do i need to do anything with the vehicle battery?

Would I be better getting it to a motorhome service centre?

It depends on how you feel about making any changes yourself. It shouldn’t be difficult.
It’s virtually a case of locating the battery, undoing two bolts and replacing like for like.
But remember lead batteries are heavy. I suppose that’s obvious. The word “lead” is the giveaway.
No, it isn’t difficult. It’s more a case of, how do you feel about doing the job.
I would imagine any dealer worth the name, would fit the new one for you, if that makes you feel more comfortable with that.
Possibly an opportunity to upgrade to lithium?

It depends on how you feel about making any changes yourself. It shouldn’t be difficult.
It’s virtually a case of locating the battery, undoing two bolts and replacing like for like.
But remember lead batteries are heavy. I suppose that’s obvious. The word “lead” is the giveaway.
No, it isn’t difficult. It’s more a case of, how do you feel about doing the job.
I would imagine any dealer worth the name, would fit the new one for you, if that makes you feel more comfortable with that.
Possibly an opportunity to upgrade to lithium?
Thanks. It’s not the weight that bothers me. I’m not skilled with electrics, but I suspect the solar will still put a charge through during the day and I’m not sure how the circuit works with the main vehicle battery. I don’t fancy getting a belt of something because I haven’t isolated the right things. I saw a chap on YouTube who disconnected his vehicle battery and solar before replacing his leisure battery. Not sure if that was overkill.

You wont get any belt at low voltage, seconly all you have to do is disconnect the solar input pos to the regulator, some have a fuse which can be pulled, then swap battery and refit the fuse.
adaont fit a so called les battery but splash out on a lead carbon from loach and get a member discount.
Second this is the regulator a pwm or mppt which is far the best, if not splash out and change it.

Pull the fuse from the panel. If one is not fitted you have 2 options.

1) Throw a cloth over the panel.
2) Do it in the dark.

If you aren’t happy doing a battery swap yourself, and that’s all it is, a swap,
Either, get a battery supplier or motorhome dealer to fit a new one for you.
Or, become a full member, non of us bite. Well not many.
Then you can come to one of our meets, and one of us will fit the Loach battery, you bought with your member discount, for you. It might cost you a cup of tea. But that’s probably only my fee.

If you aren’t happy doing a battery swap yourself, and that’s all it is, a swap,
Either, get a battery supplier or motorhome dealer to fit a new one for you.
Or, become a full member, non of us bite. Well not many.
Then you can come to one of our meets, and one of us will fit the Loach battery, you bought with your member discount, for you. It might cost you a cup of tea. But that’s probably only my fee.
Just checking. I ran a search for LOACH but nothing came up. LEOCH did though. Is that the make you meant? I checked with our local mobile service engineer and he said it'll be ok to change it in the sea way I'd change a car battery. Look straight forward. :) . Current battery is a Banner, looks like a 72Ah. I'm wondering if it's possible to update it without any modifications or fuse changes.

Just checking. I ran a search for LOACH but nothing came up. LEOCH did though. Is that the make you meant? I checked with our local mobile service engineer and he said it'll be ok to change it in the sea way I'd change a car battery. Look straight forward. :) . Current battery is a Banner, looks like a 72Ah. I'm wondering if it's possible to update it without any modifications or fuse changes.
Banner batteries had a poor reputation a while back. They could suddenly deteriorate and it was said they needed to be checked and topped regularly with distilled water. I suppose nowadays they are a different design but it put me off ever buying Banners.

Here you go, simple swap for wet and maybe a switch flick for gels, these wont suffer sitting in half charge mode and can be cycles 1500.2000 time where a standard battery may only do 200 cycles before dropping of and die.ebay batts.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back