Locking fuel cap

Eurobiker330

Free Member

Always trying to make a wee change here and there to make life easy.
I have a bit of a thing for having extras for this and that, in case of emergencies or you just might need it some time.
KEYS, each moho or caravan we have had, although they have always come with spare original 2nd sets I always like to get copies made and keep 1 set of originals as new.
Last Moho and current 1, Bailey Approach Advance 640 I have done same. Base vehicle on Peugeot Boxer 2.2 `66 Reg`.
I absolutely cant stand the thought of the ignitnion `Flip Out` style key being same key for locking fuel cap. I think they are fairly weak anyway but sometimes opening the fuel cap I get the feeling its just not strong enough for fuel cap as they can be a bit tight. Would hate to be about to fuel up in middle of no place and snap ignition key in fuel cap.
After a bit of comparing and sending pics I got a replacement new locking fuel cap of ebay about £20 and fits perfect.
Yeah, obviously another key but just keep it in van on its own and good lady keeps spare with other spares aboot her person.
OCD or what?

could you not have just got a basic spare key cut of the existing key to use with the fuel cap? you could have then also used this on the doors if central locking not working and also had a general use spare with you?
sounds like a much more straightforward solution?

Na, its not got the central locking hab door fortunately, dont think they area good idea. Getting a spare ignition key cut would mean a chipped 1 which are a lot more expensive, peugeot if I remember are quoteing around £100-150. No one will do a `Basic` unchipped key if copying an ignition key. Went through all that.

Na, its not got the central locking hab door fortunately, dont think they area good idea. Getting a spare ignition key cut would mean a chipped 1 which are a lot more expensive, peugeot if I remember are quoteing around £100-150. No one will do a `Basic` unchipped key if copying an ignition key. Went through all that.
really? I have had no problem getting unchipped ignition/cab keys - called "surf keys" in the VW world. Usallly around a tenner.

What I want to know is why the lockable water filler cap NEVER works first time like the lockable fuel cap.

Presumably the mechanics are the same for both.

Cant answer that 1 Webby.
I only put that thread on as my way of sorting it out worked for me and thought I would share it!.
I had looked into Wildebus`s suggestion prior and just wasnt a viabal financial option for me anyway.
Cant say I had ever had problems with the fresh water lock cap myself.
However, I changed the locking fresh water filler cap for a Heos with a shorh 16" hose and Hoselock end aswell.
Maybe some people would feel better having a locking fresh water cap in case of some idiots tampering with the inlet but again for me it was the better option as we are somewhat limited for locker space and always have a Fiamma Carry bag fitted on the bike rack which covers the water inlet. G

I have used this kind of eBay service for a Peugeot 206 -
The one above may not suit your vehicle but lots of people offering this service.
(I'd probably get the key sent to a different address just for security)

It varies by Franchise, but most Timpsons would cut a key with or without a Transponder. I used them to cut 2 keys for my VW LT - one which needed Coding, and one which was a plain metal blank (out of interest, the LT uses Mercedes Blanks). I had a couple of other plain metal keys cut at a VW Festival.

For my VW T5, I again used a key cutter at a VW Festival. He cut one in a folding OEM-style fob for around £90 and programmed it to the vehicle - for both Immobiliser and Remote CL (I only had one key and REALLY needed a backup), and another plain "surf" key (thown in at no cost).
Never used a main dealer for keys as the prices they ask are generally mad!

Just throwing in those options as I understand why you wanted to not risk the expensive ignition key on the fuel lock, there really are easier, more convenient and cheaper ways then buying and fitting a replacement cap

Last edited:
Hi Cheers. Yeah I used Timpsons for extra Bailey external locker doors and hab door key which are all same key anyway. A spare Bailey key at Timpsons was I think £22 with another extra for another £5 so was happy with that. Because the spare ignition (non-flipout) is chipped (wouldnt do a plain key) they could do that for about £65 but could not gaurantee they could programme it correctly, if they couldnt the vehicle might have to wait over night with them until they could get a company to do it as the vehicle has to be present with the key for programming. NOT an option.
So, i decided to get another New locking fuel cap with 2 x spare keys for as I said i think about £20, which I thought was the obvious choice.
It really wasnt expensive or difficult, in fact thats why I mentioned it.
But hey ho everyone has their own ideas.
ORDER DATE
19 Aug, 2019
ORDER NUMBER
152871641713-1910515961005
SOLD BY
vipacarparts(1 item)

Order Peugeot Boxer Van (2014-->) Diesel Locking Fuel Cap
Peugeot Boxer Van (2014-->) Diesel Locking Fuel Cap

Peugeot Boxer Van (2014-->) Diesel Locking Fuel Cap
( 152871641713 )

ITEM PRICE:
£16.99

Cheers.
G

Maybe really an urban legend, but I have heard in the past of thieves stealing the fuel caps in order to use the lock to get a key made to then go back and get into the vehicle easily (and the owners would maybe think they just forgot to put the cap back on?) so a different lock on the cap could increase your overall security? (y)

To be honest I had`nt thought of that, possibly as you say a bit of an urban legend but you never know! G

really? I have had no problem getting unchipped ignition/cab keys - called "surf keys" in the VW world. Usallly around a tenner.

Same here " sort of " when we used to tow a car on a A-Frame.

You need a key in the ignition and turned to the first click to release the steering lock so the car will steer around corners when being towed.

It worked a treat and would not start the car being just a plain cheap as chips copy key cut at a local locksmith.

The biggest problem i had was finding someone to just cut a plain key because 2 other places couldn`t get their heads around the fact that i wanted a key that would not start the car.

Why on earth would someone want a key that will not work ? .............................. one said to me, i didn`t even try to explain and just walked out.

The second one i explained it to but couldn`t understand it so i politely gave up, the third one knew instantly and just cut it, as you say under a tenner.

Our key fob disintegrated
Timpsons furnished a new one and transferred the chip and a new battery
£30

I am sure they could have cut/supplied a simple duplicate key for the fuel cap !

Next time

Hi Jag. Nope they wouldnt, please please believe me. I am starting to regret mentioning it :whistle:. I even supplied a blank key for the 1 required and they wouldnt cut that either. Anyway I got a new locking fuel cap with 2 x keys for less than the cost of getting a new key cut! Thanks folk for taking an interest and all comments are appreciated but it was only a light tit bit for thought.:) G

Hi Jag. Nope they wouldnt, please please believe me. I am starting to regret mentioning it :whistle:. I even supplied a blank key for the 1 required and they wouldnt cut that either. Anyway I got a new locking fuel cap with 2 x keys for less than the cost of getting a new key cut! Thanks folk for taking an interest and all comments are appreciated but it was only a light tit bit for thought.:) G
Given the hassles you have have trying to get a key cut, you clearly went for the best option for you :)
I know some Timpsons are very helpful but others are the opposite so clearly one size - like one key - doesn't fit all :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back