Looking to have NH steam cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you mean the engine not the van exterior.

I'd advise against high pressure steam as it can get into electrical connections, a gunk spray leave it to soak in a few hours, then re spray it and a hose might be better.

I assume you mean the engine not the van exterior.

I'd advise against high pressure steam as it can get into electrical connections, a gunk spray leave it to soak in a few hours, then re spray it and a hose might be better.
Il second that.

It's not a bad idea so long as it doesn't get near electrical stuff or any seals, it's just that cold pressure washing is imprecise and steam and you really can't see anything, it will remove paint.

Nowadays the trend in the US is to use dry ice as it doesn't remove paint, it does take off rust and grease etc, not sure where it could be done in the UK.

I won't let a pressure washer anywhere near my vehicles (or house and garden), nor would I have a steam clean. Bucket and brush or cloth, and very rarely a hosepipe to wash the crud off the roof.

Early Sevel >06 vans will have no paint left on the cab, how they got away with that is beyond me.

Just the hose pipe Neil you can do to much damage with a pressure wash .
JEFF lol
Don’t you have to use a pressure washer to apply that snow foam stuff?
I have used my Karcher on the van but it’s been more a mist by the time it meets the van than a spray.
Saying that mine is in dire need of a clean, went green when it was in storage while I waited to be able to drive again last year. Adds to its stealth properties though😂😂😂

Don’t you still have to steam clean HGV’s before they get tested @The laird ? Or was that just our local wagons running out the quarry maybe?

Don’t you have to use a pressure washer to apply that snow foam stuff?
I have used my Karcher on the van but it’s been more a mist by the time it meets the van than a spray.
Saying that mine is in dire need of a clean, went green when it was in storage while I waited to be able to drive again last year. Adds to its stealth properties though😂😂😂
Yes, you need one but the wand isn't on so just hose pressure basically, and you can use one on a van but you need to engage your brain and not get too close, let the foam do the work.

Don’t you still have to steam clean HGV’s before they get tested @The laird ? Or was that just our local wagons running out the quarry maybe?
I think it's the chassis mainly, if it does need the whole thing done then it will have been designed to handle it, but I think it's examine for cracks

Under UK regulations all HGV vehicles are subject to annual inspection - known as an MOT. In order to pass this, one of the requirements is for vehicles to be steam cleaned prior to inspection to remove traffic film, grease, and soil. This must also be done on the vehicle's undercarriage.

Back in the black and white days we used to get our cars steam cleaned then sprayed with a mix of old engine oil and grease before winter set in. What a mess that used to make with the oil/grease dripping for a day or two. Not everything was better in the old days lol

My neighbour in the 70s used to spray old oil under his beetle.

Early Sevel >06 vans will have no paint left on the cab, how they got away with that is beyond me.
Seen the ones with the big headlights (07 to ~13) with missing paint (just primer left) on the bonnet and roofs.

I meant to put 06 on David, got me wassanames mixed up :D :D

My self build 07 Citroen and the 07 Fiat on the drive had the same problem, Simon had his whole cab resprayed but it looked mint then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back