Mobile Internet in your Van ?

What do You use for Mobile Internet ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RAW

Just doing a poll and wondering what people are doing for mobile internet now. POLL ABOVE
I was looking at Starlink (stupid expensive IMO unless you are working online and making enough to afford it and use it)
4G Routers ( I have an old one )
5G Routers - Also very expensive in comparison to when I bought a 4G one not long after 4G came into existence and from memory it was about £40 and now the cheapest 5G RouterI can find is 2nd hand on ebay at £150 !!

Like many things motorhome related there’s a lot of boasting and over hyped claimed performance especially from people able to throw silly amounts of money at the kit. There is also the endless debates about networks

i use ZTE mf286d which coupled to a Poynting antenna does the job when there is actually some signal.

Thats the real problem especially out in the sticks there’s often bugger all signal either from any of them or not for the sim we are currently using

so I have a Three, EE and O2 sim which again if there’s any signal to be found does the job.

as for star link I can’t get over the eye watering cost!

My 4G router gives me everything I need at home and abroad. 3 unlimited at home and Popit abroad.
Some people do like to throw silly money at certain items...........................and make sure everyone knows about it.
I prefer the cheapest workable option.....................................and make sure everyone knows about it:)

We just use Roaming data allowance or campsite/bar/restaurant/shop/town WiFi - we don't watch TV at all ... unless there's a Rugby match on , then we'll try and find a bar!
Jeremy

Reactions: RAW
I use 4g in the van, was going to change it to 5G but after setting that up at the house i didn’t want the cost of another router when I had a perfectly good Teltonika. I haven’t been without a signal in England for a long time now. Last time I was in Scotland I had signal every time I stopped (although I didn’t do Newton Stewart that trip. Last time I had no signal was in a valley in the middle of Wales and I use Three for my SIM.

Usually we just use the hotspot on our phones to use the laptop or tablets

EE 4G router from our house, when in the UK.

Hotspot from our mobiles when abroad (no roaming charges as we have an older EE contract plus 'free' data as on the aforementioned EE 4G router we have unlimited data which we can gift to our mobiles).

Genuine question: Can someone explain why using a mobile to hotspot from, is dangerous re hackers? My Apply phone has its own security as does my laptop. The phone and laptop are protected by passwords and the hotspot is visible as 'iPhone' in my list of wifi options on the laptop.

I only use the hotspot to link to the tablet I don't have anything on the tablet that needs to be secure, and there is only my banking apps on the phone which are seriously secure, I don't do anything on either that needs to be protected, I only tend to use it in remote locations anyway so no one around to steal my data anyway.

Genuine question: Can someone explain why using a mobile to hotspot from, is dangerous re hackers? My Apply phone has its own security as does my laptop. The phone and laptop are protected by passwords and the hotspot is visible as 'iPhone' in my list of wifi options on the laptop.
I think people confuse using your phone hotspot with public wifi. iPhone hotspot is secure enough and I doubt Android would be different but I don’t know. As Android is far more customisable it may compromise security by the user, don’t know about Android as I said 👍

I only use the hotspot to link to the tablet I don't have anything on the tablet that needs to be secure, and there is only my banking apps on the phone which are seriously secure, I don't do anything on either that needs to be protected, I only tend to use it in remote locations anyway so no one around to steal my data anyway.
Banking apps is one thing i would not put on a andriod phone, do make sure blurtooth is of when shopping or in towns with free wifi, that £10 you have been sitting on so long may vanish. :eek: 😂😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back