My first car way back in 1965, what was yours?

snapster

Just a thought with all us older drivers, does anyone still have their old red book style driving licence?
6C9E4BCE-BD84-46D2-A482-062F0DBC0B95.jpeg

nabsim

Before going to four wheels I had two KR200s not the same time but... I rolled the first on a wet roundabout at the 'monument' in Dover just sitting upside down and still putting away, a bloke turned us back up and went off, on the way uptown was passed by two fire engine a police car and an ambulance going to the car wreck on the seafront. It would go flatout BACKWARDS but didn't steer at all well, doing that.
It is a wonder I got to my age looking back. The second one I put my feet through the floor. I wish I could get it back now, worth a bomb, and I COULD repair it all now.
Do you remember the KH 2 strokes? In an attempt to get back on a bike after an accident brother in law gave me his KH400 he had stripped to clean and couldn’t get back together :)

I rebuilt the engine just having to clean and reassemble the rebuilt the bike. At the same time with a fitter mate from work we built a lightweight (ish) trials type sidecar and when bike was ready we set about getting it all aligned. What fun that was, if you know the bikes you will know the power and was like turning a switch on and off. Still wonder how I managed to learn the art of sidecar riding on that beast lol

Vanterrier

I had a kwaka triple for a short while ( used to change bikes regularly back then) green and went like a snot off a stick. Think that was a 400? Got no photos of that one though.
Swapped it for a kettle which the lad couldnt get running right. Now i never did find the hinge in the middle of the frame but Im sure there was one🤔
K ;)

nabsim

I had a kwaka triple for a short while ( used to change bikes regularly back then) green and went like a snot off a stick. Think that was a 400? Got no photos of that one though.
K ;)
The triples back then were the KH models, renowned for the way they took off and also for having super bendy frames lol. The KH500 H1 became known as the widow maker

Millie Master

Isetta bubble car should have kept it, refurbed it could be worth 10K.
Going by what I have seen over the past few years an Isetta in good codition will have a starting resale value of £15k with some even reaching as high as £25k!!

Pete Penfold

My first car back in 64 was a sit up and beg Ford Popular. I bought it for 20 quid during the Christmas break at Denbury boy soldier training camp in Devon. Cost another 20 to insure! Ex owner said he would offer me good money for it if I brought it back at the end of my leave in good nick...Lovely shiny black car that I polished half to death and needed 3 pints of oil every time I put fuel in her. Back axle crumpled when trying to do a boy racer start at a T junction! Spent all of Christmas Day swapping the axle with one I managed to get on another old wreck! Worked a treat. Spent many an hour or two learning how to kiss the girls in the back seat! Perhaps the reason the car developed a knocking when driven in reverse.... anyway, I got a fiver for it 3 weeks later and was well happy 😃

bjh

Mine was a BMW, well actually an Isetta bubble car, but it said BMW on it! and it had reverse as I found out when racing off from the traffic lights one day!! Well it was hardly racing, but the bus driver behind was somewhat surprised. First vehicle was a James motor scooter, only ever saw two others. Strangest car was a Wartberg 3 cylinder two stroke with freewheel, no engine breaking at all. Lots of room inside and the boot was huge. After one or two other odd cars, I built an Austin 1100 using a new body shell and a 1750 tuned Maxi engine. Made a new manifold and fitted 4 Amal carbs. Amal were very helpful and suggested what needles to try. Never did fully sort it, but managed to break a drive shaft with the torque it generated.

grath

Mine was a BMW, well actually an Isetta bubble car, but it said BMW on it! and it had reverse as I found out when racing off from the traffic lights one day!! Well it was hardly racing, but the bus driver behind was somewhat surprised. First vehicle was a James motor scooter, only ever saw two others. Strangest car was a Wartberg 3 cylinder two stroke with freewheel, no engine breaking at all. Lots of room inside and the boot was huge. After one or two other odd cars, I built an Austin 1100 using a new body shell and a 1750 tuned Maxi engine. Made a new manifold and fitted 4 Amal carbs. Amal were very helpful and suggested what needles to try. Never did fully sort it, but managed to break a drive shaft with the torque it generated.
Maybe you did see mine.
My first was a James Scooter
150cc Villiers Two Stroke Engine, and bigger wheels than Vespa and Lambretta

bjh

Maybe you did see mine.
My first was a James Scooter
150cc Villiers Two Stroke Engine, and bigger wheels than Vespa and Lambretta
Yes sounds like that was the right one. I found the engine to be useless. Could set it up so it went OK to about 35mph or set it so it would splutter like hell until about 10mph and then would hit almost 45mph. Spark plug right behind the front wheel. ever so good when wet!!! The front suspension broke twice. The wheel then jammed against the mudguard and sent me over the top and into hospital. Nothing serious though. Trouble was the second time I was in Ireland. Took a little fixing that time, the scooter that is.

grath

Yes sounds like that was the right one. I found the engine to be useless. Could set it up so it went OK to about 35mph or set it so it would splutter like hell until about 10mph and then would hit almost 45mph. Spark plug right behind the front wheel. ever so good when wet!!! The front suspension broke twice. The wheel then jammed against the mudguard and sent me over the top and into hospital. Nothing serious though. Trouble was the second time I was in Ireland. Took a little fixing that time, the scooter that is.
I was lucky enough to buy new and had no problems at all except for the exhaust getting furred up, making it splutter at about 50 mph
Once we knew the problem it was easy to clean out
Sold it later for a Royal Enfield Continental with clip ons, rear sets, straight through silencer and a BIG carb, also a Jakeman Fairing. Would just about do the Ton

trevskoda

Mine was an hilman imp was going down an hill when the rear right wheel came off with the brake hub still attached managed to stop and retrieved the wheel with the shaft nut still inside the hub cap could only get it back on by removing the brake shoes it still drove for 2 weeks but failed when I was reversing at full speed pressed the brake sand the pedal went to the floor and I crashed through the side of a garage happy days
Not good at diy then. :LOL:

trevskoda

I was lucky enough to buy new and had no problems at all except for the exhaust getting furred up, making it splutter at about 50 mph
Once we knew the problem it was easy to clean out
Sold it later for a Royal Enfield Continental with clip ons, rear sets, straight through silencer and a BIG carb, also a Jakeman Fairing. Would just about do the Ton
re speed.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:193)

2cv, Paulmold, jagmanx, Silver Camper, oppy, Carrotts, witzend, nutts, GreggBear, runnach, Ian1950, Greengrass, Val54, StreetSleeper, Winks, Trotter, BOTCANU, TeamRienza, helen262, wildebus, St3v3, Haaamster, Tidewatcher, Topmast, Edina, EJB, tripper, Allen, Habilis - abilis, Molly 3, saxonborg, Matchlock, The laird, nabsim, tonybvi, alwaysared, mendit, grath, mr brown, Wooie1958, r4dent, eurajohn, Jeanette, mistericeman, tapfitter, bartman, Caz, Undertaker, Exwindsurfer, bellars, Roy Laura, RoadTrek Boy, Chris356, clarkpeacock, jeffscarborough, trixie88, Lee, mark61, HurricaneSmith, Monkeybrand, Mike Woolstencroft, Reiverlad, Kyran, Vanterrier, rugbyken, trevskoda, Tezza33, helmit, Denmar, pj650, motoroamer, bobj808, paulhelenwilko, Campervanannie, Martingrant, abmnw, Blue Lady, alun100, moonshadow, Neodafyd, Yorkscol, Minisorella, Northumborman, royh28, Tjay, andromeda, Raymondo, Linda, Gixer, Old Man Down, Nicnaen, Hank, andyjanet, Asterix, highlandron, dickydo, rustydog, Telstar, Kennyb, Rec, timatabsa, FULL TIMER, Biggarmac, Steveandjulie, Norfolk Jim, peejay, Phase3begins, Dulvil, woodhouse boy, saxonrosie, Forresbroons, barryd, neckender, Wully, Trappers, GeoffL, CriftinsCampers, subablu, roadroamer, Aly1, Nosmo king, Wildman, Pudsey Bear, ibs7491, old cronies, Mitzy, UFO, Rumour, Pkmeb, Pugwash69, Okta, Veloman, steve strange, arkwright01, GWAYGWAY, Bouydog, ken sowerby, tompa, Bigshug, mandoman, keith777, JFD, Hungryhomer, RV2MAX, snapster, Chip, vtwinner, Ellendale, RONWOOD, flying kipper, watchthis, Doddy, TheCoggins, Thehawk, Mobilvetta, Edward B, shortcircuit, Yeoblade, hdeagle, Funman, Bobtaylor, Pete Penfold, Ericwalford, bjh, Martin P, Harrers, ruzze77, CapricornDave, stewpot, sheppy21a, Kimbowbill, Forcesixwindy, Cookies, sunrisemac, Piglet, SquirrellCook, harrow, DnK, Izwozral, gypojohn, A Nutter, Stonedaddy, chrsrwlns, Hellfire, bish, SimonM, Gazwarrior, in h, vanda, Weebill, thomastom80, Liberty hall, cronkle,