New Fiats Grrrrr

Sharon the Cat

Brand new van on a Fiat Ducato base, supplied with only one key. I thought get a mobile locksmith to give us another so we both have fully working keys, especially beneficial for the alarm. Locksmith comes out and says "At least you've got the original, otherwise it's a horrible job."
An hour later he said he couldn't do it. Confirmed by another auto-locksmith with these new Fiats the remote can only be programmed by a main dealer.
I like the idea of trying a European dealer, but with my exceptionally bad language skills is it worth the risk?

The bit that puzzels me is how some young tea leaves manage to get round it and drive off. :unsure:

The bit that puzzels me is how some young tea leaves manage to get round it and drive off. :unsure:
They buy a key bypass device off Facebook that plugs into the OBD port that allows them to start any of the fiat, Peugeot or Citroen without a key, if it is keyless start they just press the start button, if not the just snap the ignition barrel and use a screwdriver.
So the best way to prevent is to fit a obd lock.

I presume you’ve asked Fiat customer services what sort of safety measure this is only one key.
They previously supplied a back up/spare manual key. What are you supposed to do if you lose or damage the one supplied other than the obvious “shell our loads of cash to Fiat” and be completely snookered in the meantime 🤔😫

I presume you’ve asked Fiat customer services what sort of safety measure this is only one key.
They previously supplied a back up/spare manual key. What are you supposed to do if you lose or damage the one supplied other than the obvious “shell our loads of cash to Fiat” and be completely snookered in the meantime 🤔😫
I think the only answer is the one involving lots of cash and a main dealer.😬
We do have a manual key, but if I set the alarm off, that's another manual key.

Apparently this happened post 2022 when Fiat changed the security system and embedded additional meaures using the ODB port. The new keys also use a different chip. Sadly you are looking at between £400 - 500 in the UK unless you know someone who works at a main dealer, the new key itself is around £200+ . I'd be ringing around a few UK dealers for prices and maybe some e-mails to european dealers if you know where you are going, Google translate is wonderful 👍

Apparently this happened post 2022 when Fiat changed the security system and embedded additional meaures using the ODB port. The new keys also use a different chip. Sadly you are looking at between £400 - 500 in the UK unless you know someone who works at a main dealer, the new key itself is around £200+ . I'd be ringing around a few UK dealers for prices and maybe some e-mails to european dealers if you know where you are going, Google translate is wonderful 👍
Thanks, I might see if European dealers can reply to emails.

Back