Pet passport problems

aftpsltd

Free Member

I wanted to ask if everyone travelling to the Eu is experiencing a greater strictness with dog passport checks. I had a recent very poor experience with my 2 dogs who have Eu passports. The staff member at Eurotunnel kept insisting that it was MY responsibility to check in detail even minor mistakes made by a Vet. Last time I checked I was not qualified as a Vet. Obviously I do check my passport for obvious errors each time I travel but I find the insistence on the fault being with me when I have paid for a service when minor errors have been made by others, which I feel are impossible to check as a lay person. I was threatened that my dogs may not be able to travel in future and I would be given a one time pass this time. Is there any mechanism for the vets error to be accountable for this instead of the passenger?
At the time another passenger next to me was hauled up as the microchip number had 1 written wrongly by the Vet in the passport. How within reason are you supposed to pick this up.
The attitude of the staff that was less than sympathetic did not help. I learn the numbers of pets being turned away at the pet passport check in is increasing.

Haven’t been to Europe recently but a couple of years ago we were pulled up at Pet reception Calais because the contact details of the vet issuing the passport were incomplete, i.e a phone number was missing. We hadn’t checked because the name and address of the vet was clearly stated. I think they have a difficult job and so it’s incumbent upon the traveller to make sure all the i’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed.....we were allowed to travel on that occasion but were warned that it wouldn’t be allowed a second time.

We once had a problem only noticed when we returned home. The French vet had transposed two digits on one page, placing it into the future, but it was correct on another.

It was obvious what had happened, but I had to return to a vet in Calais to get it corrected. She smiled and said it happens a lot.

I took it on the chin, as it was clearly my fault for not checking.

Was that here or France?

Last time at Folkestone the staple holding the pages of the AHC had broken. I asked the lady if she would mind re-stapling it for me. She's and she would, but it wasn't a legal document if it wasn't stapled. I wasn't sure if she was being serious, I later asked my vet and she hannover heard of that.

Last edited:
I got warned one time for a lack of a time in one space - she easily found it on the vet’s paperwork, but was determined to get her point across to me.

I’m confident they were Gestapo in a previous life, and a failed entrant to the KGB in this one.

Before we left EU - I went to France and back no problems, two years later same passport no problem leaving Blighty but on the way back the French lady insisted my UK vet hadn't completed it properly in the first place and I had to wait while she printed off a 3 page A4 thing and filled it in and got me to sign it, she said I could come back that time but needed to get it sorted. I haven't been since Brexit but I reckon some of them are jobsworths.

Was that here or France?

Last time at Folkestone the staple holding the pages of the AHC had broken. I asked the lady if she would mind re-stapling it for me. She's and she would, but it wasn't a legal document if it wasn't stapled. I wasn't sure if she was being serious, I later asked my vet and she hannover heard of that.
Not certain if your question was directed to me? If so, then we were returning back to the UK from France. The vet was in the Charente Maritime as we headed north, a lovely guy who laughed and joked a lot. Pity his attention to detail wasn't as good.

The transposition of two numbers in the date were well spotted by the French before we headed on down to the ferry. I spotted a fax and suggested they fax the vet for clarification.........but they said it was broken. :ROFLMAO:

I was invited to follow their vehicle through a myriad of lanes to get back outside of the terminal, where I quickly found another French vet only a few miles away, and she was brilliant. Missed the ferry I was booked on, but first in the queue for the next one.

(PS: Staples are important in legal documents, and once when I needed to change something I made absolutely certain the the new staples fell into precisely the old holes. It worked.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back