Peugeot Boxer Autotrail 05

Matata

Free Member

Bought the above by chance! My wife and I had thought about a motorhome 10 years ago and decided it was not for us. Bought the above 3 years ago and absolutely love it… how wrong can you be.. it’s been a voyage of discovery. For us simplicity is the key. It’s pre internet/pre you tube so it’s hard to get info out there. Any ideas where to start looking for a wiring system diagram to give me an understanding of charging/split batteries etc. would be appreciated. We’re based Chester but so far gone as far as Sweden and Ireland… We just love this machine.. many thanks in anticipation B

Welcome to the forum.
Being an Autotrail, it will have a Sargent Electrics system fitted. Depending on which Sargent system depends on the Model as well as the age. Have a look for a Sargent box that will either will Silver or Black in colour and take & post a photo up. Autotrail like to put the Sargent boxes in the top cupboard behind the drivers seat on the Custom Motorhome versions and under a leisure seat on the PVC versions.

(y)(y)Much appreciated for speedy reply… I’ll enclose a picky our distribution panel… There are two switches beside each other… one is to turn the 240 charger on… the other says “ Battery selector… car… off… van”… My question is, does that selector switch on control what is been charged by the built in charger? Or does it allow you to decide which battery source can be used to run the domestic side? Is there a Voltage sensing relay to protect the engine battery… sorry for such a techy question! B

image.jpg

ah - assuming that is the original, you have an Autocruise, not an Autotrail :) So not a Sargent system.

That system, like so many is by default a Caravan system, so "Car" literally means CAR - so Engine Battery; "Van" means CARAVAN - so Leisure Battery, and "off" is electrics turned off.
That switch does let you chose which battery is used to run all the habitation electrics.
I am not familiar with that system, but I would say the charger when on will only charge whatever battery is selected; and I doubt if there is any voltage protection against taking a battery too low. Some systems do so that, but given you have a physical switch, it can't just select another battery.
As a rule of thumb, you should avoid using the Engine Battery to run the hab electrics unless you really need to (Leisure Battery dead) and if you do so, keep the usage minimal until you can recharge the batteries again.

If you buy a multimeter cheap of eBay, put the van on hook up and use the car/van switch to check if you can switch the charger to each battery by seeing the voltage difference between charging and not charging, I hope that make sense.

Thanks so much… So do you not think there is any battery voltage protection for the engine battery🤦‍♂️If there isn’t then surely it’s best to leave the selector switch on caravan? I was thinking of putting a decent ammeter display on the leisure battery to see what sort of discharge/charging rates there are. The only big current draw on the leisure battery is the eperspacer d4 , which is wired directly ( throw a fuse) to the leisure battery. I’ve replaced all the halogen bulbs with leds. A great web store is 12volt planet… only quality kit with a person on the phone if necessary.. Ta for all the help so far… B

Anyone any thoughts about an ammeter/voltmeter display for the leisure battery?…I’m curious to see what the current draw is and how quickly it’s recharging from either the onboard mains charger or the alternator?? Do you think it lead to a parasitic draw which may be significant over the winter?? B

Anyone any idea where to start looking for an Autocruise schematic and or wiring diagram??

Anyone any idea where to start looking for an Autocruise schematic and or wiring diagram??
I assume that you don't have an owners' manual, which should have this. Have you tried Google? Might help to specify which Autocruise model.

On your PMS you have the model number and the phone number of the manufacturers

PMS5BWAH. Give them a ring on 01482313700. You never know your luck in a raffle!

Very old caravan sys, id rip it out and do a full upgrade.
We don't have a masters degree in buggering about with sparky stuff like wot you have Trev and a factory built van is much more complex in how it's built than a self build, they have to conform to certain regulations.

Thanks for the input👍… I didn’t think there were different versions of the Autocruise.. It’s a two seater/two berth… I have the original manual and it’s sadly lacking in detail as I tries to cover several models. Everything works. By getting the schematic I thought it might explain to me how the electrics are integrated. I think I need to spend more time with a multimeter🤭👍

A meter is handy to have, but unless you actually have a problem the electrics are better left alone, more so on older vans where things can be old and brittle.

If/when you have a problem it will more often than not be an appliance, fuse or a relay rather than the wiring, unless someone has been messing with it at some point.

Your model of Autocruise should be on the outside of the van somewhere as a decal.

After much rummaging it’s a……Starspirit🙄
The Eberspacher been playing up… sometimes it would start after its initial start/check phase.. Checked the house battery for good volts and all was well. There are three fuses on loom next to the +ve… Gave them a dose of looking at and the middle 20mph fell apart as I inspected it.. very dodgey… a smoking gun? Fresh fuse and all seams well… 👍B

Thanks TJBi… very close… mine is a 2005 and doesn’t have the Sargent board… It’s a PMS board with only 6 x 10am fuses.. good effort though👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back