Poorly van

I kinda did that when I went to a VW Festival in my current van a couple of weeks after I sold my T5 Camper and before I did anything to the new one. Hell of a shock with no fridge or power and just blow-up beds we kept rolling off of :D

I was going to the Oxford Wild Festival but then this happened but today I had an idea so I’m going back to basics going in the Doblo with camping gear 2 day festival it will be fun ??
tears rolling down my cheeks..........good on yer girl......no stopping you eh.......go for it.

Can't see how the oil pump failing would cause smoke from exhaust.
I'd be much happier with a failed turbo than a failed oil pump, the likely damage from a failed oil pump will be considerably more serious than a turbo failure.

Can't see how the oil pump failing would cause smoke from exhaust.
I'd be much happier with a failed turbo than a failed oil pump, the likely damage from a failed oil pump will be considerably more serious than a turbo failure.

I didn't want to mention that!
If the engine was shut off within a minute of the oil light showing up things
could be ok. The smoke I would guess could have been from an overheating engine from
an oil starved engine dragged under the van looking like from exhaust, unless of course the
turbo wasn't getting it's oil then it could be turbo kaput in addition, but that's all speculation.

Let's hope it's not too expensive whatever the problem is.
As others have said if you turned off as soon as the oil light that would minimise damage.

Fingers crossed for you Annie, hope it gets fixed quickly for you and cost isn't too exorbitant whatever the problem is.

Let's hope it's not too expensive whatever the problem is.
As others have said if you turned off as soon as the oil light that would minimise damage.
As soon as the oil light came on I pulled straight onto the hard shoulder and turned off the engine so it was seconds so hopefully not too much damage done??

It sounds as if you've avoided the big danger with turbos which is when oil seals pack up and the oil goes into engine and acts as fuel causing catastrophic runaway.
Turning ignition off does nothing and unless you can stall the engine within seconds it's toast.
If the turbo has broken then as others have said the intake system will have to removed and cleaned to ensure there's no debris waiting to get ingested - the same for oil system where sump removal to check for debris would be prudent.
The sevel engines have very easy access to the turbo on the back of the engine.
Anyway I hope it's not too serious and you are soon back on the road again.

I'm told most modern diesels have a butterfly valve that closes when the ignition is switched off.( I Cant remember what it is called though) This restricts the air flow to the engine to stop normal diesel engine run on ( dieseling ) when the ignition is turned off. If a turbo oil seal fails this butterfly will prevent engine "run away" if the ignition is turned off by starving the engine of air. I think this is part of an EGR valve.

That's the spirit ?you can't keep a Yorkshire lass down.
See you there hav

I'm told most modern diesels have a butterfly valve that closes when the ignition is switched off.( I Cant remember what it is called though) This restricts the air flow to the engine to stop normal diesel engine run on ( dieseling ) when the ignition is turned off. If a turbo oil seal fails this butterfly will prevent engine "run away" if the ignition is turned off by starving the engine of air. I think this is part of an EGR valve.
That's something I've not heard of, can you supply a link to the information as I'm very interested.
I am aware of such devices on engines used in volatile atmospheres but not in general passenger vehicles.
Normally the only way to stop a diesel is to remove its fuel, or stall it.
Dieseling is a terminology related to petrol engines, whereby conditions within the combustion chamber are such that when the source of ignition is removed there is sufficient heat to sustain combustion, albeit in an uncontrolled and unsustainable way.

Yes - if you have an anti shudder valve it could well cut off the air.
I'm not sure how long they stay shut - some reopen after a couple seconds.
Perhaps they have some feedback on whether engine is still turning.
So the best advice remains to turn key to engine off, leave vehicle in gear and brake to a stall.

Sorry to hear about your vehicle breakdown Annie. Hope it's not too expensive to repair.
Enjoy your wild weekend.
Cheers David.
Ps Truffle lives on ( just ).

Yep could be the turbo or a simple hose fracture, whatever it won't ground you for long. .have you still got mini snoopy for back up .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back