Power steering

andromeda

This probably a 'How long is a piece of string?' question but can anyone give me a ball park worst case scenario figure for getting power steering problem sorted please? I'm in Warwickshire.
There are currently times when I wish I had done building, mechanics, electrics, gas and plumbing courses instead of what I did learn. Probably would have earned more too!

Any more info on the symptoms may be a simple fix.

Could be a loose belt, low on fluid. or is it an electric type?

A lot of people go to full lock and hold it on hard which is bad for the pump, you should back it off a tiny bit.

We do need more to go on than you have a problem I'm afraid.

Graunchy noise is all I have I'm afraid. I heard it once or twice but not afterwards so didn't pursue (I usually do but other issues took precedence) it was the guys I use for other stuff on the van that told me yesterday that there could be a problem.

Graunchy noise is all I have I'm afraid. I heard it once or twice but not afterwards so didn't pursue (I usually do but other issues took precedence) it was the guys I use for other stuff on the van that told me yesterday that there could be a problem.
If you post the age and model of the van (not the motorhome brand, but the actual base vehicle), that would help e.g. Fiat Ducato, 2005, 05 reg, plus engine size and maybe a photo of the front of the vehicle.

It really could be anything from very minor to something expensive.
I had a problem with my VW T4 (W reg) Power Steering and it was just a belt that had stretched over time. Cost just a few pounds for a new belt and maybe 20 minutes of time to fit it.
You might find there is a tensioner that has some adjustment left? No parts needed and just a few minutes of work to loosen, move and retighten.

Look for low flued in the topup tank first, if its up then any noise could be the pump on its way out, should be an easy swap to new or used unit.
The s rack could also be worn, common cause is folks turning the steering when not moving, also does ball joints and track rod ends in.

When does it make the noise? Just normal straight driving or on full lock?

The graunchy noise could be the pump scavenging for hydraulic fluid within the power steering system, as Pudsey said above it may just be in need of a top up.

If not feeling confident about checking the fluid level, maybe a friendly nearby garage (or even Halfords) would be happy to have a look, it will only take 2 minutes and at least that way you will know if it's anything more involved.

Thank you guys but much as I love all your tips about what to look for other than water, oil and tyres I don't play mechanic. I have neither the skill or knowledge to risk mine or others lives.
Fiat Ducato 05 plate.

Thank you guys but much as I love all your tips about what to look for other than water, oil and tyres I don't play mechanic. I have neither the skill or knowledge to risk mine or others lives.
Fiat Ducato 05 plate.
First thing i taught folk when learning to drive, flueds tyres and made them change a wheel, get it looked at now before it becomes expensive repair, learn how to do a weekly check on all flueds, someone will show you how.

Fiat Ducato 05 plate.
And when do you hear the noise?

My car developed an intermittent crunchy noise when doing 3 point turns, a friend who is a mechanic was sat in the back at the time and I said "Tony, what's that sound like?". Track rod ends, he said.
Took car to garage, yes it was track rod end. Not the power steering. Not saying that's what it is with yours though.

My car developed an intermittent crunchy noise when doing 3 point turns, a friend who is a mechanic was sat in the back at the time and I said "Tony, what's that sound like?". Track rod ends, he said.
Took car to garage, yes it was track rod end. Not the power steering. Not saying that's what it is with yours though.
Mine was a simple top up of fluid thank heavens.
However they told me I probably need a service as some other fluids are low. I need to clarify what they mean although not had a service this year.
The garage is where it goes for it's mot but the joke is they gave an advisory in August for the welding they were happy with the year before after it failed and I had it done

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back