Retirement/wintering abroad.....

Do you have an RV stored out there, or buy and resell, or maybe rent?
Must say I quite fancy spending time in Arizona over the winter myself :)

We don’t RV out there, though may possibly try it sometime. We just rent a car and stay in Palm Desert. The weather there is perfect in October/November and February/March, a little cool otherwise and horribly hot in the summer.
We often combine our stay with a road trip, for example had a few days in Vegas in March. Elsewhere such as Arizona can be a little cool in winter, though not cold generally. It would certainly be pleasant in parts of Arizona in the winter and warmer than anywhere in Europe.

We're already doing it. ... After 14 years of projects on the cottage, there's only repairs and maintenance waiting for us, when we eventually get back...We hope..! .. We're wandering where the wind and circumstances take us. We met a couple asking if we spoke German, while visiting a village, that we only found because we were diverted to , from the A66. Jenny does...and did. They invited us to visit their village, 17 miles in the wrong direction... Leaving us their names and the village.. Caminomorisco We're going there next.. After which, we're heading even further wrong to Las Hurdes.. The Land Without Bread.. We shall see!.. ..This website is playing up again..sorry no paragraphs .

I too, am off to "sunny spain" early December.
Why? Who likes british winters? Not me.
I am going Pompey to Santander, 1st time I have used this route, so any comments etc. would be welcome :giggle:

Hi Irbyjohn, came back on the Santander to Pompey ferry last week. We went out on the Pompey - St. Malo ferry and drove down to the Pyrenees, then along the North coast of Spain to Cape Finisterre. The people I talked to were moaning that the food in the self service restaurant was cold and inedible on the ferry to Santander from Pompey the previous week. I have to say I found the food OK in the self service restaurant (lunch) and very good in the waiter served restaurant (Cant remember the name of it). The next time I go on that route I will definitely spend more time between Santander and Ribadesella, the beaches were fantastic and still very warm. Have a good trip.

Hi Irbyjohn, came back on the Santander to Pompey ferry last week. We went out on the Pompey - St. Malo ferry and drove down to the Pyrenees, then along the North coast of Spain to Cape Finisterre. The people I talked to were moaning that the food in the self service restaurant was cold and inedible on the ferry to Santander from Pompey the previous week. I have to say I found the food OK in the self service restaurant (lunch) and very good in the waiter served restaurant (Cant remember the name of it). The next time I go on that route I will definitely spend more time between Santander and Ribadesella, the beaches were fantastic and still very warm. Have a good trip.

I think the food o the Economie sailings is far better, its all self service but much better value

Fuel Prices. ... France ...1.45€ at supermarkets.. 1.55 at garages.. 1.65 on motorway Aires..... Spain , about 20 cents cheaper...filled up at Repsol, 2 miles south of Salamanca... 1.21.

Big thing with a retirement on the road is you can be far more flexible and not be tued down to a lifelong conditioning against spending winter in a cold climate. We have spent winters in the Australian desert, in Mexico and for a change in Iceland enjoying the northern lights, and in 4 weeks or so, we will head to Germany to then spend part of winter in Greece and Southern Italy and then in deep winter ee cross the channel to Southern England, Wales and then a couple of months in Ireland where wr can enjoy all the scenery without any of the tourists. Best of both worlds.
For those living in Europe, there is unlimited choice of climates suitable for all tastes and available just sbout all year long, especially if you look s bit further outwards to include Morocco and Turkey in your list of possibilities - - all without needing to step foot in an aircraft.

Don't know about 2cv, but we decided right frim the start that having to make do with one vehicle and having to ship it was not the best way to go, so we did the usual couple of laps of Australia and then bought s motorhome in Europe, and then one in the USA, and then one in South America. Except fir the one in S America which we sold after 3 years, we still have all the RVs and we use all of them for several months each year. If you added the value of them all together, it wouldn't be enough ti buy one brsnd new fancy motorhome, but they do the jib, and have been for 12 years now and we have no plans ti sell any of them any time soon.

I too, am off to "sunny spain" early December.
Why? Who likes british winters? Not me.
I am going Pompey to Santander, 1st time I have used this route, so any comments etc. would be welcome :giggle:
Nice stop with facilities close to santander LIERGANES..old railway yard. train ride back to Santander around 5e much easier than parking in town..Maurice

I used to be abroad with my late husband fro December to March, I do miss going, but finances no longer allow.

• Sad
Reactions: Rec
After my Parents and sister died (1995 Mother, 2001 Father,and 2003 Sister) I sought to change my life ahead...
I still keep in contact with my niece (a lot) and nephews (FB).
But I found a lovely Thai woman whos came to Uk with me whilst I was working.
We bought a MoHo and enjoyed..
SO we now let out UK house
Have built a Thai house (Or Hovel as PaulJenny might say !).
WE "hibernate in Thailand" for 6 months and we return to UK and travel in the MoHo for 6 months.
You may have seen other posts re our travels etc.
We started this in 2013 and so far so Very Very Good.
An image of our "hovel" 4UIMG_0038.JPG

It has not all been "Easy Peasy" but overall it has been great !

After my Parents and sister died (1995 Mother, 2001 Father,and 2003 Sister) I sought to change my life ahead...
I still keep in contact with my niece (a lot) and nephews (FB).
But I found a lovely Thai woman whos came to Uk with me whilst I was working.
We bought a MoHo and enjoyed..
SO we now let out UK house
Have built a Thai house (Or Hovel as PaulJenny might say !).
WE "hibernate in Thailand" for 6 months and we return to UK and travel in the MoHo for 6 months.
You may have seen other posts re our travels etc.
We started this in 2013 and so far so Very Very Good.
An image of our "hovel" 4UView attachment 39402

It has not all been "Easy Peasy" but overall it has been great !
. Whereabouts is this house?
Do u rent it out when you’re away?

Since I retired six years ago we spend a chunk of the Winter in the California desert, where warmth and sunshine are pretty much guaranteed. Wouldn’t want to miss the whole winter though. Last year I was a bit disappointed to miss seeing the Beast from the East with its spectacular snow.
Missing the Beast from the East was great idea. Well done. There's thousands of us who wished we'd missed it.. I'm not sure "Spectacular Snow" exists anywhere, except on a post card.

If I can get Nik to agree to sell the house to fund such a trip, I'd join you. No chance whatsoever. There's plenty of solar to be had, I would'nt have to worry about my batteries not charging. No, that's another thread

Do you guys plan where you are going or just meander in Spain or Portugal? We are heading out end of Jan till early March. Also getting a bit jumpy about MH thefts and break ins so not sure I want to go anymore.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back