Rooflight crack repair - fixed

UFO

Just cleaned the van, (2009 Adria Twin Fiat Ducato) not that we are going anywhere but a good opportunity to check for any problems. Found one! A crack in the front rooflight.

20200424_114855.jpgIMG_20200424_112839.jpg

There was a thread on this a year ago. https://motorhomer.com/threads/repairing-small-crack-in-skylight.39576/ As suggested here my thoughts are to use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/JB-Weld-TRA50112-TEX-ClearWeld-Setting/dp/B009EU5ZM0 Also to drill a small hole to stop crack creeping further.

Any advice appreciated before I go ahead.

Last edited:
I cannot think of the name but you get a small tube of whatever it`s called you apply then cure by shineing a ultra violet light over it,works great,i have used on spec frames. i will check the name when down in van.

Reactions: UFO
i would be tempted to reinforce the edge with a strip of metal set into the mastic , nothing massive, 3x1 cm maybe
Good idea, a small piece of aluminium on the open end would give it more rigidity.

I cannot think of the name but you get a small tube of whatever it`s called you apply then cure by shineing a ultra violet light over it,works great,i have used on spec frames. i will check the name when down in van.
I saw an ad for this one recently it looked very good. Interested to know what brand you used

I saw an ad for this one recently it looked very good. Interested to know what brand you used
I ordered a tube of Bondic glue a week or two ago, specifically to fix a couple of cracks in skylights. The UV Torch I bought to go with it has arrived, but the glue is still in China, I think.

I gave up waiting and used JB Weld epoxy glue, which I then reinforced with an almost identical glue I bought in Poundland

Good idea, a small piece of aluminium on the open end would give it more rigidity.

Yes bondic starter set is what i bought to test it and it did what it say`s on the tin,from amazon.

Finally got around to the repair. Drilled small hole at the end of the crack, later filled with glue. Used J-B Weld ClearWeld Epoxy and an aluminium reinforcing piece, thanks to suggestion from mr brown. Looking good, just need a chance now for some trips to see how it stands up.IMG_20200529_120839.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back