Securing Bikes/Scooters when parked

emjaiuk

Securing Bikes/Scooters when parked

If there is no convenient pole or tree, fixing the detachable towing eye to the front of most motorhomes will give a secure point to lock bikes or scooters to. The D lock, padlock etc needs to be able to pass through the eye of course, and will prevent the eye being unscrewed.

Malcolm

In the MH garage:Smiling_Face_Emoji: That is one reason for having one.

Padlocked to the bike rack. I reversed into a tree below Colditz and broke it's stand, so that's my second line of defence. :See_No_Evil_Monkey_

I'm going to have to employ you to drive my van. You're clearly better at it than me. :Very_sad_emoji_icon

Scooter, never bother. Just the steering lock. Push bikes if I remember two cheap locks on round the scooter rack.

HurricaneSmith;n8207 said:
Padlocked to the bike rack. I reversed into a tree below Colditz and broke it's stand, so that's my second line of defence. :See_No_Evil_Monkey_

some wee ned tried to steal my bike in the Aire just up from Colditz.......

It might have been me, officer, trying to get a bike stand.

:Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Glad to hear the scroat was unsuccessful.

John

The determined thief will succeed in stealing any cycles regardless of what security device is fitted.Our electric bikes live on a rack in the garage which has both doors alarmed as part of the motorhome security system.
When we are out and about on the bikes I use a heavy duty chain and padlock similar to this.....http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...w-york-fahgettaboudit-150cm-chain-and-padlock
It's heavy and cumbersome to carry about and expensive but a good deterrent in my opinion.I always try and lock the bikes to a suitable post in a busy place which gives the thief something to think about,he doesn't want to be caught in the act.I find outside a coffee shop or cafe are good places,the thief might think you are still inside and could come out at any time.

wakk44;n8897 said:
The determined thief will succeed in stealing any cycles regardless of what security device is fitted.Our electric bikes live on a rack in the garage which has both doors alarmed as part of the motorhome security system.
When we are out and about on the bikes I use a heavy duty chain and padlock similar to this.....http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...w-york-fahgettaboudit-150cm-chain-and-padlock
It's heavy and cumbersome to carry about and expensive but a good deterrent in my opinion.I always try and lock the bikes to a suitable post in a busy place which gives the thief something to think about,he doesn't want to be caught in the act.I find outside a coffee shop or cafe are good places,the thief might think you are still inside and could come out at any time.

i am the same, always try and lock up at a cafe then just wander about, but do take note where you park, lol yup 3 hrs once to find me bike :(

Blu;n8918 said:
i am the same, always try and lock up at a cafe then just wander about, but do take note where you park, lol yup 3 hrs once to find me bike :(

Lol,I know what you mean,it can be confusing when in a strange place abroad and remembering where the bikes are chained up after a walkabout.I have got a couple of navigational apps on my smartphone that allow you to mark your current position as a favourite which solves the problem.Before using them I did nearly lose the bikes on a couple of occasions.:redface:

We also tow a doggy ride Dog trailer. A combination of 6 locks and chains means we can attach all wheels and bits of frame to each other and a suitable post. Two of the locks were over £70 each. Heavy, but we have e bikes so we just increase the power up hill ... and given the financial value and being able to get around value to us ... so worth it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back