Showerhead trigger valve

paulhelenwilko

During a shower in the motorhome to save water I turn the flow on or off as needed at the mixer tap. This can be a little awkward to reach and it's too easy to accidentally change the temperature especially with soap in the eyes.

I wondered if anyone knew if you can get a shower head with a trigger on it, so once you have the correct temperature then you just use the trigger.

If such a thing exists are they a standard size ?

Paul

I bought an "Every Drop is Precious" handset from Amazon a few years ago and it's brilliant. I'm over 6ft and the water flow is more than adequate. Unfortunately, the exact item is no longer available, but this looks like a decent alternative ...

GROHE Tempesta-F Trigger Spray - Hand Shower with Trigger Control - Anti-Limescale System -Universal Mounting System - Fits All Standard Shower Hoses - Durable Sparkling Sheen - Chrome - 27512001 https://amzn.eu/d/70vDWZm

Just be a little bit careful if you have micro switched taps. Because the tap is open the pump will be running but because the trigger head is off no water can flow. I removed my trigger head switch because it caused a few issues after a while.

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.

It is a micro switch but the pump is a submersible so I think it will be ok for a couple of minutes.

I bought an "Every Drop is Precious" handset from Amazon a few years ago and it's brilliant. I'm over 6ft and the water flow is more than adequate. Unfortunately, the exact item is no longer available, but this looks like a decent alternative ...

GROHE Tempesta-F Trigger Spray - Hand Shower with Trigger Control - Anti-Limescale System -Universal Mounting System - Fits All Standard Shower Hoses - Durable Sparkling Sheen - Chrome - 27512001 https://amzn.eu/d/70vDWZm
We had one of these in our last van, ufortunately it got dropped and the trigger got broken. I think I got a replacement fromsomeone who was stripping a caravan out.

@paulhelenwilko
In every van we’ve owned i have replaced the original shower head with one similar to this.
If shopping around avoid the plastic ones, the triggers break but I haven’t had a SS one fail yet

Bargain Set Brushed Bidet Sprayer for Toilet Holder Hose 1.2 m Stainless Steel Sprayer Kit Baby Sprayer Muslim Shattaf https://amzn.eu/d/5WmNS3o

Trigger heads are brilliant and efficient.
BUT (IMO) you need non return valves on both feeds as cold and hot water will be at different pressure, and having a mixer tap "on" but the spout effectively blocked mean the higher pressure will go down the lower pressure pipe and give you a spike of double hot or cold each time you restart

I would've said you only need an NRV on the cold as the hotter is higher pressure and that is all our last van needed. But the current van needed one on both (I did just the hot, but on restart, got a 1/4s of cold). 2x NRVs and it works perfectly - set temp/mix then leave adjuster in place (or remember where it is in case knocked)

Really works well for us, uses v little water for good showers.

Just be a little bit careful if you have micro switched taps. Because the tap is open the pump will be running but because the trigger head is off no water can flow. I removed my trigger head switch because it caused a few issues after a while.
Does that cause an issue? My system is pressure pumped so not a concern, but for the 30s or so it'd be on and running I'd not have envisaged an issue? So just curious

Thanks for all your replies. They have been very helpful. As to fitting the additional valves I think I will try the trigger spray first and see if there is a problem.
Paul

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back